Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

"You sure do ask a lotta questions, mister."

"They don't take kindly to strangers/ new folk around here."

"He may be a dumb asshole/ a jerk/ etc but he's OUR dumb asshole/ jerk/ etc"

mothman

Have we done the nerdy clumsy character who ends up either becoming this absolutely bad motherfucker in battle, or turns out to be really good in bed AND (if male) very well endowed, or both?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 23, 2019, 10:22:21 AM
Just been re-reading about the literary James Bond fetish for scrambled eggs over in the Books Sub-forum - so surprising that this didn't make it into the films.
A Sicilian fella I know who loves the Inspector Montalbano books said TV series is shit because it didn't have nearly enough cooking or food in it.
He also called Luca Zingaretti a Roman bastard.

Clownbaby

Very pretty and slim girl has glasses on and a frumpy hairdo so that makes her ugly, then one day she's got a bit of lipstick on and her hair down and lo and behold sex goddess

EOLAN

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 23, 2019, 10:26:44 AM
Have we had unappreciated mom at breakfast yet?

I presume we have had hastily dressed businessman husband or schoolchild with some unknown plan rushing out the door with only taking a piece of toast in his mouth from the beautifully presented breakfast.

Hey, Punk!

Now that's a name I haven't heard in years.

*looks meaningfully off camera*

Clownbaby

Unappreciated moms always have camel-coloured capri pants on and boring hair, you can tell they were once stylish but then they gave up.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 23, 2019, 12:15:58 AM
"hey honey, are you hungry? I can do you some eggs"

How d'ya like your eggs in the morning?
I like mine cracked over your head.
Boiled or fried?
I'm satisfied, as long as I get my kicks.

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 24, 2019, 11:19:55 AM
Very pretty and slim girl has glasses on and a frumpy hairdo so that makes her ugly, then one day she's got a bit of lipstick on and her hair down and lo and behold sex goddess

Usually a librarian.

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 24, 2019, 11:33:11 AM
Now that's a name I haven't heard in years.

*looks meaningfully off camera*

I'm struggling to think of another example, other than Star Wars.

Mr Banlon

Or flashback tired 60s/70s mum with hair in curlers wearing trod-down slippers, housecoat and fag hanging out her mouth who throws a plate of manky breakfast on the table.
"Eat ya eggs ya fuckin' brat."

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 24, 2019, 02:50:58 PM
I'm struggling to think of another example, other than Star Wars.

Um...neither can I.

I'm sure I've heard it several times though.

Icehaven

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 24, 2019, 02:50:58 PM
Usually a librarian.

TBF it is actually pretty good when Dorothy Malone does it to Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 25, 2019, 07:41:38 PM
TBF it is actually pretty good when Dorothy Malone does it to Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep.

It wasn't a cliché back then though, surely?  Now that it is, it can duly fuck off.

chveik

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 25, 2019, 07:50:44 PM
It wasn't a cliché back then though, surely?  Now that it is, it can duly fuck off.

it was a cliché already.

St_Eddie

Quote from: chveik on April 25, 2019, 07:56:48 PM
it was a cliché already.

It was?  I don't necessarily doubt you but I'd be interested to see examples of the cliché, prior to The Big Sleep.

Frank Capra's She's All That (famously re-made in the nineties).

mothman

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 25, 2019, 07:27:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWsFFQP0gA

Ooh, good spot. I mean, I know that he was #cancelled long before that was even a thing, thanks to his gun advocacy - but I do love me a bit of the Hestmeister.

Sebastian Cobb

"I need you, can you go?"
"Can I finish my drink first?"

Dr Rock

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2019, 10:12:17 PM
Ooh, good spot. I mean, I know that he was #cancelled long before that was even a thing, thanks to his gun advocacy - but I do love me a bit of the Hestmeister.

It is a lovely bit of acting there.

Clownbaby

People saying "is that a thing? I don't think that's a thing"

neveragain

Ugh, I'm sick of that cynical millenial shit.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 26, 2019, 10:05:02 AM

Is that a thing?

lipsink

The City Mayor or some high-up politician type will have an important discussion in their office while they're playing indoor golf.

They may also mention they've recently had heart trouble.

magval

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 26, 2019, 10:05:02 AM

Also variations on "what does that even MEAN?" and "are you SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?".

Despite hating almost every instance of these phrases, what really bugs me is when they appear in things set before they became commonly used. A kid in Bumblebee (which has SO MANY of the cliches in this thread!) says one of them and it's supposed to be set in the 1980s.

Clownbaby

It's the fact that phrases like "is that a thing? I don't think that's a thing" or "what is this place?" Or "its not you, it's me" or "I can explain" could be worded differently with just a couple tweaks so it didn't sound so written

Also I may have touched on this a while ago but I hate how in zombie movies or games or whatever they deliberately avoid calling the zombies "zombies". They're always called "those... things" or someone tries to describe one the first time they see it as "it was dead but... still alive" or they try to give them clever more scientific names like "the infected" or "the contaminated". They are zombies there is no harm in calling them zombies in-universe. It's like calling vampires "veiners" or ghosts "spectrals"

Jerzy Bondov

Days Gone on the PlayStation has a new low for alternative zombie names: 'freakers'

Zombie films don't exist in the world of zombie films, it seems.

magval

Simon Pegg gives Nick Frost stick for using that word in Shaun of the Dead.

My personal least favourite euphemism is 'dark seekers' from I Am Legend. Quite like 'stenches' from Land of the Dead, as it's always uttered with military disdain.

Love Resident Evil games for just fucking saying ZOMBIE.

Shit Good Nose

A couple of the real low budget/arse end Italian zombie films call them things like "the infected" or "the diseased", even though they are corpses that have risen from their graves (which they previously got in).  I forget which now, but it might be Dr Butcher and/or that one where all the zombies are running around and can use weapons.  And/or that one where the budget was so low they famously used corn flakes as decaying zombie skin.

Has the opening-shirt-to-reveal-bulletproof-vest one been mentioned yet?  I know it has a real world application (to make sure that the bullet hasn't gone through), but it's always done so lamely in films.