Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:39:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

As we're on 47 pages now I'm sure this will have been mentioned already but; someone being chased is heading down a tunnel/long corridor or similar, and they keep checking behind them (possibly with a torch) to see if their pursuer is there, then the 3rd or 4th time after looking behind then turning back to face the front, who/whatever is after them is right there in their face, (possibly lit up by the torch) even though this means they must have passed them at some point despite the terrain making this apparently impossible.
And the variation on this, the suddenly-there person/thing not being the pursuer but someone else who's been missing/separated from them for a bit. 

popcorn

People explaining things by pointing to maps and going "here, here, and here". Never "here and here", or "over here and over here", or "this area here and this part next to it and that bit over here". Always "here, here and here". Rule of three, bigtime. Most recent offender: Chernobyl.

Dr Rock

Assassin ' You and I, we're the same'

John Wick 'No we're not.'

Not only a cliche, but I don't see how they aren't. Apart from John Wick being indestructible I suppose.

lipsink

"We're not so different you and I."

"Come, come Mr Bond. You derive just as much pleasure from killing as I do."

Shaky

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 03, 2019, 12:43:59 PM
"Come, come Mr Bond. You derive just as much pleasure from killing as I do."

To be fair, that line only ever comes up in Bond films every few years.

Quote from: popcorn on June 03, 2019, 10:23:22 AM
People explaining things by pointing to maps and going "here, here, and here". Never "here and here", or "over here and over here", or "this area here and this part next to it and that bit over here". Always "here, here and here". Rule of three, bigtime. Most recent offender: Chernobyl.

I've not seen Chernobyl.  I imagine, there, that 'here, here, and here' would help indicate the heads of each person in their very early thirties.

mr. logic

Somebody is spying. Part of their back story is working for a particular department or organisation. The person on whom they're spying says, 'Ah, so you must have worked with Such and Such then'.

It's a cunning ruse, but one that the other person tends to see through and handle accordingly. 'There was nobody by that name there when I worked there.'

Somebody should try a double bluff.

mothman

It's been done. Then there the times when the questions are answered incorrectly, but you don't find out until later. Like all the questions about Düsseldorf in Where Eagles Dare.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

This might be from older films mainly, but that thing people do when they find something hysterically funny, and they roll on their back and start kicking their legs in the air, as seen in Life Of Brian. I mean, who actually does that in real life?

machotrouts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 04, 2019, 04:38:49 PM
This might be from older films mainly, but that thing people do when they find something hysterically funny, and they roll on their back and start kicking their legs in the air, as seen in Life Of Brian. I mean, who actually does that in real life?

This was in an episode of Modern Family. Ariel Winter tried very, very hard to make this seem like something an actual non-cartoon person would do, and obviously failed, because it's impossible to make a naturalistic performance out of that. I found it oddly haunting. I keep thinking about how many takes they must have done. It must have been a very exhausting and unpleasant experience. I felt stressed watching it.

Sebastian Cobb

Maybe it's a throwback from silent cinema and that.

Sebastian Cobb

Boss catches subordinate skiving sitting with their feat up at the boss' desk.

greenman

Quote from: machotrouts on June 04, 2019, 06:59:30 PM
This was in an episode of Modern Family. Ariel Winter tried very, very hard to make this seem like something an actual non-cartoon person would do, and obviously failed, because it's impossible to make a naturalistic performance out of that. I found it oddly haunting. I keep thinking about how many takes they must have done. It must have been a very exhausting and unpleasant experience. I felt stressed watching it.

Really the problem I'd say, the kind of films it dates from were rarely aiming at that.

rasta-spouse

This might be from older films mainly, but that thing people do when they find something hysterically funny, and they roll on their back and start kicking their legs in the air, as seen in Life Of Brian.

Harpo Marx does this quite a bit. Pythons (and also Milligan) love the Marxes and homage them now and again.

zomgmouse

Icehaven

Monsters being inconsistent sizes in pisspoor TV movies on the Horror channel. One minute they're towering over a skyscraper, the next minute they're climbing up it. Bring it on myself by watching them really don't I.

Probably dates from silent films, when acting was all physical.

Dr Rock

Dark Phoenix:

Funeral in rain.

'What are you?' to alien/monster

That... thing' same

Not a cliche, but how did Magneto find Xavier in Paris at the end?

mothman

Actually, the ability of somebody to find somebody else who they know well might well be a cliche. There's always somebody who trying to keep a low profile yet when people need to locate them they always can.

Dr Rock

That's true. There's probably a stock reply to 'how did you find me?' that hand-waves it away.

mothman

Examples include "I'm the man," from Kill Bill. Which isn't really an answer at all. Later he explains he was trying to find the people who he thought had killed her, of course, not expecting her to still be alive, and finding her was a complete accident.

gib

Quote from: mothman on June 08, 2019, 07:35:23 PM
Actually, the ability of somebody to find somebody else who they know well might well be a cliche. There's always somebody who trying to keep a low profile yet when people need to locate them they always can.

This happened in the daft Black Mirror episode i watched yesterday S05E02

zomgmouse

Pushing people out of the way when you're in a hurry

Glebe

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on June 08, 2019, 06:38:48 PM
Monsters being inconsistent sizes in pisspoor TV movies on the Horror channel. One minute they're towering over a skyscraper, the next minute they're climbing up it.

Quote from: Glebe on June 09, 2019, 02:31:39 AM
"Guys, are you seeing this?"

"Prometheus, are you seeing this?"

Just another reason to hate that movie.

Children playing blissfully on swings in a park, oblivious to the massive nuclear catastrophe that's about to happen/might happen.

Most recent offender: Chernobyl.

kalowski

Man explains technical and potentially dangerous activity to child through the use of child's toys. Meanwhile, his wife, who knows the dangers ahead, watches secretly from the door, possibly even crying.

mothman

Yes, it's always the crying. Why can't she be wanking instead?

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 09, 2019, 02:21:50 PM
Children playing blissfully on swings in a park, oblivious to the massive nuclear catastrophe that's about to happen/might happen.

Most recent offender: Chernobyl.

See also: Terminator 2: Judgment Day.