Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Phil_A on June 13, 2019, 09:13:40 PM
We shouldn't neglect the greatest fake videogame of all time from Eastenders in 2010.

This should be, what, the PS3, Xbox 360 era?

Now look at what Phil and Ben are playing in this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il7gPKRhSDs

On 27 seconds in, does he say "just get on top of me and spunk on me, show no mercy"?

Sebastian Cobb

It's really common for Atari 2600 effects (breakout or berzerk or something) to be used on stuff 30 years later, cheap library stuff, but also because it's not that 'busy' like modern games.

They should use the Super Mario music.  It's nice and catchy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 13, 2019, 09:20:58 PM
On 27 seconds in, does he say "just get on top of me and spunk on me, show no mercy"?

Haha.  It sounds like that's what he says but it's actually "stomp on me".

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 14, 2019, 07:27:53 PM
They should use the Super Mario music.  It's nice and catchy.

It's not just nice and catchy, it's also a licensing issue.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, I genuinely thought that the person who'd uploaded the clip had overdubbed it. I quite like my version though. Was waiting for an opportunity to use it today but mostly had meetings in schools so wasn't really appropriate.

notjosh

This is a pretty decent takedown of a modern comedy dialogue style that you see everywhere now but I still struggle to define:
https://twitter.com/nsilverberg/status/1140300647922831361

paruses

Quote from: notjosh on June 17, 2019, 12:55:13 PM
This is a pretty decent takedown of a modern comedy dialogue style that you see everywhere now but I still struggle to define:
https://twitter.com/nsilverberg/status/1140300647922831361

Yes - the first and last examples are very good and I have been wondering how they are defined. Reaction comedy, maybe? But that's not quite right either. Arrested Development (while being very very good) is chock full of examples that are everywhere today (but weren't then).

The middle bits in this are also good.

olliebean

Most of those are basically what you get when you just keep the camera rolling and encourage the actors to riff, because you couldn't be arsed to write enough good jokes into the script.

Berthas Fat Leg

Villains are ugly / good guys are attractive.

olliebean

After a scene change, with the characters in a different location and obviously a period of time later, the dialogue continues exactly as if no time had elapsed.

buzby

Quote from: the on June 13, 2019, 02:27:59 AM
"Well done mam, you've just fooked me hard drive."

I'm not au fait with the eras of Coronation Street, but that PC looked about 2002/3-ish to me.
It's a Philips 107E 17" monitor which were made between 1998 and 2001 (they have put a bit of tape over the Philips logo at the bottom of the screen, but the 107E flash on the upper left corner gives it away).

The episode in question was broadcast in August 2006 and and the game's appearance was arranged with Sega UK's PR so it's most likely to have been a tie-in with the release of the Sonic Mega Collection on PC at the end of March that year (see this post on UK Resistance, who posted the video on Youtube)

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on June 18, 2019, 08:59:03 AM
After a scene change, with the characters in a different location and obviously a period of time later, the dialogue continues exactly as if no time had elapsed.

There was some sketch or a screenwipe bit or something which tore that apart as well, had two characters in a car and one said something as they pulled off, with the other responding as they arrived at their destination, implying they must have sat in hesitant silence for the entire journey.

Icehaven

More of a film poster one but; Someone wearing a suit doing up their cufflinks.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on June 17, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
Most of those are basically what you get when you just keep the camera rolling and encourage the actors to riff, because you couldn't be arsed to write enough good jokes into the script.

It's interesting that you said this because upon watching that video was, my mind went straight to the Ghostbusters remake, so yeah; you're bang on the money.

Oooh, good call.  I hate that in movies.  It makes no sense whatsoever.

neveragain

Bit unfair on Antz (and maybe Shrek) but point well made.

Norton Canes

Probably been mentioned already, but someone waking up from a nightmare by suddenly sitting bolt upright and gasping.

When I wake up from a nightmare I spend what seems like three hours writhing around in semi-consciousness desperately trying to form coherent words (like "Help!").

Sebastian Cobb

Woman with low social status with ambitions ends up in high social status woman's house for some reason and ends up trying on her posh dresses.

purlieu

I hate this so much. It's very often some big plot point, and they seemingly start discussing it two hours later when they've driven 50 miles away. I always end up wondering what the hell they've been talking about in the interim and getting completely distracted from the actual plot.

Quote from: Berthas Fat Leg on June 17, 2019, 11:37:29 PM
Villains are English / good guys are American. How is this still happening in films?

mothman

I can recall one time in my nearly 50 years when I sat bolt upright when waking from a dream. And that was 15 years ago already.

greenman

Quote from: mothman on June 26, 2019, 04:23:04 PM
I can recall one time in my nearly 50 years when I sat bolt upright when waking from a dream. And that was 15 years ago already.

Gives the impression they've shat the bed as the result of said dream.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 26, 2019, 09:42:41 AM
Probably been mentioned already, but someone waking up from a nightmare by suddenly sitting bolt upright and gasping.

When I wake up from a nightmare I spend what seems like three hours writhing around in semi-consciousness desperately trying to form coherent words (like "Help!").

Eh, it's not that unrealistic.  I've had this happen to me more times than I can remember.  During the worst period of my life, I suffered horribly from sleep paralysis and night terrors.  It wasn't uncommon for me to wake up and instantly sit bolt upright, arms flailing and screaming.

Rizla

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 26, 2019, 05:25:23 PM
Eh, it's not that unrealistic.  I've had this happen to me more times than I can remember.  During the worst period of my life, I suffered horribly from sleep paralysis and night terrors.  It wasn't uncommon for me to wake up and instantly sit bolt upright, arms flailing and screaming.
Same here, in fact it was happening almost every night for a while a couple of years ago, hellish it was. Hasn't happened since I stopped fagging for globalism smoking fags though.

PlanktonSideburns

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 26, 2019, 09:57:45 AM
Woman with low social status with ambitions ends up in high social status woman's house for some reason and ends up trying on her posh dresses.
And they find a radio and start dancing around the house. Extra points if the owner comes back and catches them in the dress/bath/face mask etc.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on June 26, 2019, 07:46:35 PM
And they find a radio and start dancing around the house. Extra points if the owner comes back and catches them in the dress/bath/face mask etc.

Extra extra bonus points if they see the owner's car pulling up outside and then a madcap scene takes place where they scramble around the house, putting everything back just as it was, before the owner walk through the front door.  They're only halfway done when we cut to the owner about to open the front door but then realise that they left something in the car, so they return to fetch it.  Back inside, the group have just about finished in time, as the owner turns the front door knob but then one of them notices that a cigarette butt is still on the table.  They quickly reach out and pocket it, everybody sits back on the sofas and chairs, looking nonchalant just as the owners walk into the house.  "Hey, how was everything?" asks the owner, "oh, fine. It's been pretty quiet and uneventful really" replies the group in unison.

magval

Spectre has this, only after watching it and thinking of you lot. This one has bothered me for years. It's much more common in cartoons and comedy films, but in a Bond? Wise up.

A damaged character with a fractured mindset will have their face reflected multiple times across a cracked-up mirror. Can we retire this one now?

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 28, 2019, 08:51:08 AM
A damaged character with a fractured mindset will have their face reflected multiple times across a cracked-up mirror. Can we retire this one now?

That was done in that Alfred Hitchcock film with Henry Fonda as the wrongly-accused man (forget the title).  Have to say I can't think of another example.

Quote from: Berthas Fat Leg on June 17, 2019, 11:37:29 PM

Except if the villain is really suave, well-dressed, and wealthy.