Author Topic: Film cliches you want to fuck off  (Read 115708 times)

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
Re: Film cliches you want to fuck off
« Reply #1590 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
*QI KLAXON*

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Oh - and apparently Canadian teams play in it.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #1591 on: July 31, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
And of course, "The World Series" doesn't involve any nation in the world that isn't the US.

fwb enters thread swinging for the fences [/tag]

« Reply #1592 on: July 31, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Mobile phones don't go "BEEP" when you hang up on someone. Do they? Watching "The Boys" every mobile call ended with LOUD ASS BEEPS!

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1593 on: August 01, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »
No but there's often the end dial tone coming from the other end which you might hear through a speaker if it's loud enough.

« Reply #1594 on: August 04, 2019, 10:27:34 PM »
When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound. Or they pour booze on it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:19:53 PM by holyzombiejesus »

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #1595 on: August 05, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound.

I know all that happens in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it's magic holy grail water healing the wound), but where else does it show up?

« Reply #1596 on: August 05, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »
I've seen it in loads of American films. Can't think of one now though.

« Reply #1597 on: August 05, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »
I know all that happens in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it's magic holy grail water healing the wound), but where else does it show up?

The kind of thing I have vague(maybe false) memories of maybe being in 80's sword and sorcery films without anything specific.

icehaven

• Please don't hi five people in Tamworth
« Reply #1598 on: August 06, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
Daughter (usually teenage) is ranting at her Mother and says something that's going too far (I HATE you!/face facts, he's DEAD!/face facts, Dad's NEVER coming back etc.) , Mother suddenly slaps her hard across the face and they both freeze, daughter gradually brings her eyes back up to meet her Mother's, who's stunned with what she just did (possibly also clasped her hand over her mouth immediately after the slap), then daughter runs out of the room with Mother calling her name as she goes, then quietly saying ''Shit'' or ''Goddamn it'' after she's gone.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1599 on: August 06, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
Daughter (usually teenage) is ranting at her Mother and says something that's going too far (I HATE you!/face facts, he's DEAD!/face facts, Dad's NEVER coming back etc.) , Mother suddenly slaps her hard across the face and they both freeze, daughter gradually brings her eyes back up to meet her Mother's, who's stunned with what she just did (possibly also clasped her hand over her mouth immediately after the slap), then daughter runs out of the room with Mother calling her name as she goes, then quietly saying ''Shit'' or ''Goddamn it'' after she's gone.
Yes, very good.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1600 on: August 06, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I don't know what came over me."

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #1601 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »
Evil character enters family home, family pet growls or is mistrustful.

Rest of family totally oblivious and fooled by the evil character

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1602 on: August 06, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Labradors being able to play professional sports because there’s nothing specifically in the rules against it.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1603 on: August 06, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
Someone drops something in the middle of a mass brawl, and every time they go to pick it up it up it gets accidentally kicked away.

It's good in Temple of Doom, rubbish in Night at the Museum 2.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1604 on: August 07, 2019, 04:33:34 AM »
Someone angrily bashing their steering wheel, especially if a car has run out of petrol or perhaps someone has gotten away or really just when something frustrating happens

« Reply #1605 on: August 07, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »
Someone drops something in the middle of a mass brawl, and every time they go to pick it up it up it gets accidentally kicked away.

It's good in Temple of Doom, rubbish in Night at the Museum 2.

A pretty high percentage of these fall into "it was good the first time and quickly became annoying".

« Reply #1606 on: August 07, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
Outtakes, or assorted arseing around by cast and crew, played during the end credits. Really not interested in how much more fun your film was to make than it was to watch.

Build Me Up Buttercup, in particular, can fuck off.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1607 on: August 07, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »
Outtakes, or assorted arseing around by cast and crew, played during the end credits. Really not interested in how much more fun your film was to make than it was to watch.

YES

Jerzy Bondov

• give my cheeky volvic a bash
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #1608 on: August 07, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
YES FUCK THIS

I also want Run Rudolph Run banned from chase scenes in Christmas films

Berthas Fat Leg

• The Potato King Won’t Let Me
« Reply #1609 on: August 07, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
‘Come with me if you want to live.’

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #1610 on: August 07, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Someone angrily bashing their steering wheel, especially if a car has run out of petrol or perhaps someone has gotten away or really just when something frustrating happens

There's one great thing in the Transformers films and that's Shia LaBeouf kicking the fuck out of his car when it won't start for him, in the third one.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #1611 on: August 07, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
Labradors being able to play professional sports because there’s nothing specifically in the rules against it.

I believe you posted that in the wrong thread, and clearly meant to put it in the "Things that should be in all films" one.

icehaven

• Please don't hi five people in Tamworth
« Reply #1612 on: August 07, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »

Agree, the only time this is remotely appealing is the Toy Story ones. Although I've got a soft spot for Liar Liar's;
''Over actor!!''
''They're on to me!!''

« Reply #1613 on: August 07, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »
YES FUCK THIS

I also want Run Rudolph Run banned from chase scenes in Christmas films

Also One Way Or Another from any chase scene ever.

« Reply #1614 on: August 07, 2019, 05:34:26 PM »
Evil character enters family home, family pet growls or is mistrustful.

Rest of family totally oblivious and fooled by the evil character

I saw the Ted Bundy film the other day, and there's a version of that scene where they go to a dog pound to choose one but the dog growls as soon as Bundy goes near.  (and I did Google it, no it didn't really happen).

Since dogs are clearly so excellent at spotting evil, suggest we just get rid of most of police force and simply make everybody walk past dogs once a day.  Get a growl, off you go to prison, you're clearly a wrong 'un.

My brother's cat always hated me and hissed whenever I got near, which makes me wonder whether I'm a serial killer without realising it.  Perhaps it doesn't work with cats.

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #1615 on: August 07, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »

You've made him sad now, nice one.

« Reply #1616 on: August 07, 2019, 08:16:57 PM »
When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound. Or they pour booze on it.

There's also when they're treating a wound and take a long breath before tying a bandage around it and then make a huge noise to show they're in agony.

« Reply #1617 on: August 07, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Someone stands on the edge of a roof, or on the railing of a balcony, and calmly steps off it backwards, appearing to fall to their death - only to reappear moments later, being born aloft by the spacecraft/flying car/magic carpet/other flying macguffin that was hovering just below.

« Reply #1618 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Someone stands on the edge of a roof, or on the railing of a balcony, and calmly steps off it backwards, appearing to fall to their death - only to reappear moments later, being born aloft by the spacecraft/flying car/magic carpet/other flying macguffin that was hovering just below.

Hmm, is there a distinction here between homage and cliche? Most people of a certain age will get the BTTF reference.

EDIT: But i agree this can fuck off

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #1619 on: August 08, 2019, 04:50:24 AM »
Horror films with stonkingly obvious metaphors about family, grief, etc