Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

*QI KLAXON*

QuoteFor many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the 'World's Series'. However, popular as this explanation may be, it's not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a 'World's Championship Series'. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World's Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Oh - and apparently Canadian teams play in it.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 31, 2019, 10:17:58 AM
And of course, "The World Series" doesn't involve any nation in the world that isn't the US.

fwb enters thread swinging for the fences [/tag]

SteveDave

Mobile phones don't go "BEEP" when you hang up on someone. Do they? Watching "The Boys" every mobile call ended with LOUD ASS BEEPS!

zomgmouse

No but there's often the end dial tone coming from the other end which you might hear through a speaker if it's loud enough.

holyzombiejesus

When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound. Or they pour booze on it.

samadriel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 04, 2019, 10:27:34 PM
When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound.

I know all that happens in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it's magic holy grail water healing the wound), but where else does it show up?

holyzombiejesus

I've seen it in loads of American films. Can't think of one now though.

greenman

Quote from: samadriel on August 05, 2019, 09:01:31 AM
I know all that happens in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it's magic holy grail water healing the wound), but where else does it show up?

The kind of thing I have vague(maybe false) memories of maybe being in 80's sword and sorcery films without anything specific.

Icehaven

Daughter (usually teenage) is ranting at her Mother and says something that's going too far (I HATE you!/face facts, he's DEAD!/face facts, Dad's NEVER coming back etc.) , Mother suddenly slaps her hard across the face and they both freeze, daughter gradually brings her eyes back up to meet her Mother's, who's stunned with what she just did (possibly also clasped her hand over her mouth immediately after the slap), then daughter runs out of the room with Mother calling her name as she goes, then quietly saying ''Shit'' or ''Goddamn it'' after she's gone.

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on August 06, 2019, 11:30:33 AM
Daughter (usually teenage) is ranting at her Mother and says something that's going too far (I HATE you!/face facts, he's DEAD!/face facts, Dad's NEVER coming back etc.) , Mother suddenly slaps her hard across the face and they both freeze, daughter gradually brings her eyes back up to meet her Mother's, who's stunned with what she just did (possibly also clasped her hand over her mouth immediately after the slap), then daughter runs out of the room with Mother calling her name as she goes, then quietly saying ''Shit'' or ''Goddamn it'' after she's gone.
Yes, very good.

zomgmouse

Quote from: icehaven on August 06, 2019, 11:30:33 AM

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I don't know what came over me."

Ferris

Evil character enters family home, family pet growls or is mistrustful.

Rest of family totally oblivious and fooled by the evil character

Ferris

Labradors being able to play professional sports because there's nothing specifically in the rules against it.

kalowski

Someone drops something in the middle of a mass brawl, and every time they go to pick it up it up it gets accidentally kicked away.

It's good in Temple of Doom, rubbish in Night at the Museum 2.

zomgmouse

Someone angrily bashing their steering wheel, especially if a car has run out of petrol or perhaps someone has gotten away or really just when something frustrating happens

greenman

Quote from: kalowski on August 06, 2019, 09:00:21 PM
Someone drops something in the middle of a mass brawl, and every time they go to pick it up it up it gets accidentally kicked away.

It's good in Temple of Doom, rubbish in Night at the Museum 2.

A pretty high percentage of these fall into "it was good the first time and quickly became annoying".

olliebean

Outtakes, or assorted arseing around by cast and crew, played during the end credits. Really not interested in how much more fun your film was to make than it was to watch.

Build Me Up Buttercup, in particular, can fuck off.

Ferris

Quote from: olliebean on August 07, 2019, 10:29:02 AM
Outtakes, or assorted arseing around by cast and crew, played during the end credits. Really not interested in how much more fun your film was to make than it was to watch.

YES

Jerzy Bondov

YES FUCK THIS

I also want Run Rudolph Run banned from chase scenes in Christmas films

Berthas Fat Leg

'Come with me if you want to live.'

magval

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 07, 2019, 04:33:34 AM
Someone angrily bashing their steering wheel, especially if a car has run out of petrol or perhaps someone has gotten away or really just when something frustrating happens

There's one great thing in the Transformers films and that's Shia LaBeouf kicking the fuck out of his car when it won't start for him, in the third one.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 06, 2019, 03:53:13 PM
Labradors being able to play professional sports because there's nothing specifically in the rules against it.

I believe you posted that in the wrong thread, and clearly meant to put it in the "Things that should be in all films" one.

Icehaven

Agree, the only time this is remotely appealing is the Toy Story ones. Although I've got a soft spot for Liar Liar's;
''Over actor!!''
''They're on to me!!''

olliebean

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 07, 2019, 12:09:31 PM
YES FUCK THIS

I also want Run Rudolph Run banned from chase scenes in Christmas films

Also One Way Or Another from any chase scene ever.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 06, 2019, 03:52:33 PM
Evil character enters family home, family pet growls or is mistrustful.

Rest of family totally oblivious and fooled by the evil character

I saw the Ted Bundy film the other day, and there's a version of that scene where they go to a dog pound to choose one but the dog growls as soon as Bundy goes near.  (and I did Google it, no it didn't really happen).

Since dogs are clearly so excellent at spotting evil, suggest we just get rid of most of police force and simply make everybody walk past dogs once a day.  Get a growl, off you go to prison, you're clearly a wrong 'un.

My brother's cat always hated me and hissed whenever I got near, which makes me wonder whether I'm a serial killer without realising it.  Perhaps it doesn't work with cats.

Rizla

You've made him sad now, nice one.

lipsink

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 04, 2019, 10:27:34 PM
When someone is wounded and a bottle of liquid gets poured on the wound and it hisses and sometimes even smoke comes off the wound. Or they pour booze on it.

There's also when they're treating a wound and take a long breath before tying a bandage around it and then make a huge noise to show they're in agony.

olliebean

Someone stands on the edge of a roof, or on the railing of a balcony, and calmly steps off it backwards, appearing to fall to their death - only to reappear moments later, being born aloft by the spacecraft/flying car/magic carpet/other flying macguffin that was hovering just below.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: olliebean on August 07, 2019, 09:12:31 PM
Someone stands on the edge of a roof, or on the railing of a balcony, and calmly steps off it backwards, appearing to fall to their death - only to reappear moments later, being born aloft by the spacecraft/flying car/magic carpet/other flying macguffin that was hovering just below.

Hmm, is there a distinction here between homage and cliche? Most people of a certain age will get the BTTF reference.

EDIT: But i agree this can fuck off

zomgmouse

Horror films with stonkingly obvious metaphors about family, grief, etc