Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Related: detective has to go to asylum to interview someone, but is suddenly accosted by shrieking inmate.

Film starts with our hero in the thick of battle, valiantly fighting off dangerous robots, aliens, terrorists etc as exciting music swells. THEN it's suddenly revealed to be a computer training simulation programme and they were actually in no danger the whole time!

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 24, 2019, 02:13:15 PM
Film starts with our hero in the thick of battle, valiantly fighting off dangerous robots, aliens, terrorists etc as exciting music swells. THEN it's suddenly revealed to be a computer training simulation programme and they were actually in no danger the whole time!

It's super clever if this introductory sequence mirrors or foreshadows the finale. Maybe there's a particularly effective but hugely risky manoeuvre the protagonist has never been able to quite pull off during training... 

Well I can't remember if that happens in Tomb Raider, James Bond or X-Men films that had this scene.

magval

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 24, 2019, 04:35:44 PM
Well I can't remember if that happens in Tomb Raider, James Bond or X-Men films that had this scene.

Aye it's in From Russia With Love.

Icehaven

Someone overhearing something they shouldn't on a baby monitor.

Sebastian Cobb

Love how in amongst that, someone appears to have sketched a voice waveform out in felt tipped pen.

Sebastian Cobb

Relatively new one: camcorder/analogue video signifying something taking place in the past (not home movie, but that can fuck off too).

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 30, 2019, 09:43:39 PM
Love how in amongst that, someone appears to have sketched a voice waveform out in felt tipped pen.

I spent ages looking for this and still can't see it. I think you're having me on, Cobb.

Edit: found it. Bloody obvious when you know where it is. My apologies for doubting you.

gib

winner of 1998 Up The Arse Corner, impressive

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 05, 2019, 09:54:20 PM
Relatively new one: camcorder/analogue video signifying something taking place in the past (not home movie, but that can fuck off too).

Yes, with wobbly video quality and the date/time stamp in the bottom corner.

Gulftastic

Film and TV one.

Person practising an early draft of an important speech saying 'Webster's Dictionary defines xxxxxx as.....'

JesusAndYourBush

Almost certainly been mentioned already, but I saw it in a few things recently...

Someone running from a crashed vehicle which conveniently explodes when they're exactly the right distance away to be thrown to the ground by the explosion but without incurring any injuries.

H-O-W-L

Bluey-green tints. Fuck off to grave.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on August 30, 2019, 09:39:28 PM
These bloody things:

Someone should compile a load of them and make a quiz where you have to work out which film or TV show they're from.

Edit; Someone has! https://www.vulture.com/2011/12/conspiracy-theory-wall-pop-quiz.html

lipsink

One they've started using recently in documentary films or TV is a clip of old black and white film or B Movie that reflects what the subject of the documentary is going through at that point. Examples are the Jade Goody documentary and Montage of Heck.

lipsink

Directors like Tarantino and Edgar Wright love things like: Character fixes a drink. Closeup of them pressing the blender on. Closeup of the blender mixing. Closeup of the blender being switched off.

neveragain

Too much of that in Shaun of the Dead. Takes you out of the film.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: lipsink on September 06, 2019, 01:42:06 PM
One they've started using recently in documentary films or TV is a clip of old black and white film or B Movie that reflects what the subject of the documentary is going through at that point. Examples are the Jade Goody documentary and Montage of Heck.

I remember seeing an episode of a series on Channel 4 in the 90's that consisted of lots of clips of old b&w movies that were supposedly relevant to the storyline, but it was about 90% old clips and 10% new content and I thought it was shit.  EDIT: I remembered it was called Dream On.  I've no idea if every episode was so heavily weighted towards the old clips or if I just saw a dud one, because I never watched any more after that one.

Puce Moment

FBI Investigator has spunk thrown at her.

Brundle-Fly

I've become tired with characters on the run staying in cheap motels.  Hollywood must have that one motel room set on some studio lot they all share that gets used every day of the year.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like random b-movie insertions in any form.

Another one is demanding food in a hostage situation (almost always pizza). The police always try and pull something and it makes matters worse.

People can go about 3 weeks without food, they're not going to starve in 6/12/24 hours. As the people who are running the show you're probably not going to be hungry because of the adrenaline, but if so pack some tracker bars or some speed.

olliebean

"I got this."

Noticed it in something recently and was thinking how it's one of those things people say in films that I've never heard anyone say in real life, and since then I've been noticing it in bloody everything.

Sometimes it's "You got this."

Sebastian Cobb

I say 'nah it's alright, i've got it' all the time.

Brundle-Fly

Preceded with, "A little help here?"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lipsink on September 06, 2019, 01:51:00 PM
Directors like Tarantino and Edgar Wright love things like: Character fixes a drink. Closeup of them pressing the blender on. Closeup of the blender mixing. Closeup of the blender being switched off.

Remember that short-lived Granada TV weekly drama called Night & Day with Lesley Joseph. early 00's? That show appropriated the Edgar Wright fast-cut montage in spades. It was quite jarring to see it implemented in that soap context. If they used this style in Coronation Street any scene in the kitchen at Roy's Rolls would be interminable.

Sebastian Cobb

Darren Aronofsky loved a bit of that in PI and Requiem.

Captain Z

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 06, 2019, 12:12:58 PM
Almost certainly been mentioned already, but I saw it in a few things recently...

Someone running from a crashed vehicle which conveniently explodes when they're exactly the right distance away to be thrown to the ground by the explosion but without incurring any injuries.

See also: being able to outrun/climb an explosion in a confined space, only for the flames to launch out of the exit at normal explosive speed as soon as the person is clear. Saw this happen twice in the space of 3 minutes in 'The World Is Not Enough' last night.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Rizla on August 15, 2019, 02:13:40 AM
when a baddy says "give me anything for breakfast except eggs" then he has to leave suddenly, then eggs come and the baddy's bodyguards eat and enjoy the eggs but then they have to pretend they had no eggs because the baddy is lookin closely at them, and one lets a bit of yolk slip down his chin

Came here to post that.