Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 06, 2019, 03:02:18 PM
I remember seeing an episode of a series on Channel 4 in the 90's that consisted of lots of clips of old b&w movies that were supposedly relevant to the storyline, but it was about 90% old clips and 10% new content and I thought it was shit.  EDIT: I remembered it was called Dream On.  I've no idea if every episode was so heavily weighted towards the old clips or if I just saw a dud one, because I never watched any more after that one.

Dream On was, from what I recall, usually more 90% new footage with 10% old clips. You might have caught an episode where they decided to "go weird" for just that one and switched the ratio as some kind of odd joke. The other thing that Dream On was famous for was showing naked breasts and not censoring any swearwords, which I think was the first time that had ever been done in US TV (and was only allowed because it was on cable, where different rules applied somehow). Also David Bowie was in an episode.

mothman

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 06, 2019, 12:12:58 PM
Almost certainly been mentioned already, but I saw it in a few things recently...

Someone running from a crashed vehicle which conveniently explodes when they're exactly the right distance away to be thrown to the ground by the explosion but without incurring any injuries.

So much so that when a Spooks main cast character is killed just as he's leaping from a car that's about to explode, I was left thinking there's no way he's NOT going to survive that. He made it out (barely) after all!

Totally survivable.

bgmnts

Bending the knees when doing up your zip after a piss. Why?

Cuellar

Tombola

A lady has a harrowing physical altercation with a wrongun involving a knife and she gets the better of him with a good old right-stab, but his dead body is heavy and on top of her and makes it worse and she has to roll the corpse off her.

Actually subverted slightly in Buffy Season 3 when Faith murders a benevolent demon and he fights back. 

Jerzy Bondov

Bloke: I'm making you the new forum moderator.
Other bloke: Hahaha!
Bloke gives meaningful stare
Other bloke: You're serious...

Brundle-Fly

The noble hero holding out his hand to help the wide-eyed terrified villain hanging off the edge of a: cliff, mincing machine, vortex or in a swamp/quicksand, beast's mouth.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 06, 2019, 12:51:06 AM
Yes, with wobbly video quality and the date/time stamp in the bottom corner.
I always hate the "REC O" in the corner too as if they don't know the difference between output video and the viewfinder

olliebean

The convulsive gasp that always accompanies a sudden and full recovery from apparent death. Also used for waking up from a nightmare.

lipsink

Quote from: olliebean on September 16, 2019, 04:14:47 PM
The convulsive gasp that always accompanies a sudden and full recovery from apparent death. Also used for waking up from a nightmare.

John Barrowman did this about a million times in Doctor Who/Torchwood.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 16, 2019, 01:48:43 PM
I always hate the "REC O" in the corner too as if they don't know the difference between output video and the viewfinder

ha, yes! Like a cargo cult, recreating half-understood visuals without any concept of what they actually represented.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 16, 2019, 01:48:43 PM

And me.

EOLAN

Has definitely been mentioned and recently done in Peaky Blinders (spoiler alert for people not watching season 5 yet).

Gun pointed at one of our protagonists. Gun shot goes off. Person holding the gun is the one who falls down; revealing - usually an unlikely and probably female friend/relative of our protagonist coming out from the shadows to reveal themselves. 

famethrowa

That subdued phone/intercom "brrrrrrrrr" noise that says someone has just walked into a busy office.

lipsink

In a romcom the first time the 2 romantic leads meet they will bang into eachother.

EOLAN

Quote from: famethrowa on September 18, 2019, 02:35:49 PM
That subdued phone/intercom "brrrrrrrrr" noise that says someone has just walked into a busy office.

Also used regularly in newsrooms/political offices. Everyone goes into the corner office to watch developing news on TV and suddenly phones start going off with people wanting to contact the office due to these ongoing events.

magval

Quote from: lipsink on September 18, 2019, 02:49:32 PM
In a romcom the first time the 2 romantic leads meet they will bang into eachother.

This and a lot of others (probably many from this thread) are nicely sent up in the excellent comedy film They Came Together, starring Paul Rudd. Recommended for followers of this thread.

neveragain

beanheadmcginty

Sex interrupted by phone ringing. They never just ignore it. Always have to answer it.

oy vey

If it hasn't been mentioned already there's the "I wrote the book on it asshole" as a lesser protagonist successfully wins over the respect of the hero and by extension the audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXDSxgDUv-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQpgVih1tFQ (flip to 1.02)

While we're on Skyfall, there's the hero suddenly becoming an expert in highly complex fields (in this case cryptography): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApTVqeGJMw

Icehaven

Quote from: oy vey on September 19, 2019, 12:13:49 AM

While we're on Skyfall, there's the hero suddenly becoming an expert in highly complex fields (in this case cryptography): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApTVqeGJMw

And it's twin, getting really fit and good at fighting and self-defence after a montage covering only a fraction of the time it would really take to do so. 

mothman

I dunno, in the Moore era especially, any subject that came up, Bond would be an expert in and explain (Bondsplain?) it to a confused M. Connery did it a bit too I think but Moore did more.

oy vey

I'm a big Bond fan but the franchise is rife with cliches.

Again, apologies if someone covered this one but... the boss and boss's boss reprimanding the hero for questionable tactics (and fitness for duty) with the boss secretly liking the hero anyway, is a common one not only in Bond but all over crime-related drama. I just saw it again at the end of the Bergerac pilot (which I thoroughly enjoyed but that's another thread).

Icehaven

Ghosts only visible in photos.

Someone looks through a spy hole and another eye suddenly appears on the other side looking back at them.

Someone on the run from someone is in some public situation, near someone who knows them.  The pursuer approaches the person who knows the fugitive, then asks after the latter, to be innocently told they are nearby-only for both to look and see that the other person has now disappeared.  If the fleeing person was on a landline phone, the receiver will now be left off the main set; if they were sitting down, their chair may be overbalanced; or there will be some similar touch.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chriddof on September 08, 2019, 06:41:18 AM
Dream On was, from what I recall, usually more 90% new footage with 10% old clips. You might have caught an episode where they decided to "go weird" for just that one and switched the ratio as some kind of odd joke. The other thing that Dream On was famous for was showing naked breasts and not censoring any swearwords, which I think was the first time that had ever been done in US TV (and was only allowed because it was on cable, where different rules applied somehow). Also David Bowie was in an episode.

I was a big fan at the time, as were most of my friends, though it was shown at a time where any series with breasts in it would've gone down well. I do keep on meaning to watch an episode to see how it's aged, but I've a feeling the answer wouldn't be a positive one.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 21, 2019, 08:42:12 PM
the receiver will now be left off the main set

Or hanging down on its wire, still swinging.

Brundle-Fly

I think I've mentioned this before but a picture of a family in a smashed frame signifying finality. The photo is undamaged, just pick a new frame from John Lewis on Monday.