Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Badly photoshopped framed photos of the cast members "together" when they were young.

kalowski

"Objection, your honour. This line of questioning is irrelevant."
"I'm going to allow it for the moment, but where you're going with this should become apparent very soon "

oy vey

Quote from: kalowski on September 22, 2019, 03:09:52 PM
"Objection, your honour. This line of questioning is irrelevant."
"I'm going to allow it for the moment, but where you're going with this should become apparent very soon "

Thank you your honour. I promise it will lead to the climax of the plot as soon as I tear the witness a new asshole.

Brundle-Fly

And will somebody quietly pass a small piece of paper to the defense counsel that will turn the trial on its head?

mothman

People running down a corridor or tunnel pursued by a fireball which they are able to outpace, at least until they reach some way of escaping it entirely, say by falling out of the mouth of the tunnel while the fireball billows over their heads (or heels, since they usually go all a-tumble - see The Lone Ranger). Or they go through a hatch in the floor or the wall, or open a door (Independence Day) or go down a side tunnel (Spectre), as we all know fire can only go in one direction.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
And will somebody quietly pass a small piece of paper to the defense counsel that will turn the trial on its head?
Followed by the exonerated accused/family of the victim giving a big speech to assembled media on the court steps, perhaps ending with a promise that "this" is not yet "over".

Icehaven

Someone is shot or somehow struck down from a distance, and we see them fall. We then follow someone else as they approach the spot where the victim fell, expecting to see them lying on the floor, but when we arrive there... they've gone! (bonus points if there's not even a moment during the approach that they could have got up and away without being seen, but have still apparently managed to do so.)

godber

Cars that beep when someone sets their car alarm/locks their doors with their keyfob.

How many times in real life do you hear this? Why does it still happen in every film and TV show?

Ferris

Quote from: godber on September 23, 2019, 11:12:57 AM
Cars that beep when someone sets their car alarm/locks their doors with their keyfob.

How many times in real life do you hear this? Why does it still happen in every film and TV show?

Happens a lot in North America.

godber

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 23, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
Happens a lot in North America.

Fair enough, but it happens in British productions all the time too.

famethrowa

Well it's probably more the "quack quack" noise movie cars make when you lock them, I'm sure no real car has made that sound since the 90s. Also that electronic wipwipwipwip noise after a car crash.

Icehaven

And at least they've shut the car door, they often don't bother (particularly with taxis, which they also don't pay.)

greenman

Along side the typical "teal and orange" complaints I would say that very shallow focus has become overused in recent years as its become easier/cheaper to achieve than in the days of Barry Lyndon. Its especially prevalent in lower end would be arty cinema/series as an excuse to not be doing anything else that interesting visually.

Gulftastic

Watching a bit of Captain America:First Avenger this evening made me wonder has shooting through the car/truck/train roof to dislodge someone hanging on ever worked? I can't think of one example.

Sebastian Cobb

My Saab used to very briefly activate the horn and sounded like a sick herbie when you tapped the lock button a couple of times, which I did every time once I found out it did that.

mothman

In New Zealand about 15 years ago I bought a grey import Mitsubishi coupe and had an alarm system fitted, it did blip when you locked and unlocked. But that's the only time I've had a car that did.

Icehaven

Tying a knot in a cherry stem with your tongue.

Slowly zooming out to reveal a perfectly-arranged symmetrical shot. Yes, it was great when Stanley Kubrick did it, but anyone ripping it off now is an unoriginal chancer. I just saw some Netflix thing that did it about five times.

lipsink

Comedy random bloke who gets caught up in a shootout/car chase between the hero and the baddie in an action film.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 24, 2019, 07:32:54 PM
My Saab used to very briefly activate the horn and sounded like a sick herbie when you tapped the lock button a couple of times, which I did every time once I found out it did that.

I can program that to do from 0 to10 chirps and/or flashes or substitute the horn for the siren chirps. $28

Tikwid

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2019, 03:57:39 PM

Brundle-Fly

When a character has to desperately solve a conundrum that if not untangled will swiftly lead to dire consequences. The hero gets interrupted by a character (must be of lower status) who relates a mundane anecdote that on the surface has no relevance to the problem in hand. There is a pause, a thousand-yard stare, the eureka moment and the hero exclaims, "That's it! You're a genius! It's been staring me right in the face. Come on, we've got no time to lose.".

I think The Good Place does this every episode. And the end of every Ruth Rendell Mysteries except George Baker would mutter  "Oh, what a fool I've been."

gilbertharding

Quote from: lipsink on September 29, 2019, 09:21:57 AM
Comedy random bloke who gets caught up in a shootout/car chase between the hero and the baddie in an action film.

Car chase. Cut to slow moving vehicle in the middle of the road. Cars speed by, recklessly. Cars crash.

Slow moving vehicle approaches scene of crash. Driver 'tuts'.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 29, 2019, 07:17:09 PM
When a character has to desperately solve a conundrum that if not untangled will swiftly lead to dire consequences. The hero gets interrupted by a character (must be of lower status) who relates a mundane anecdote that on the surface has no relevance to the problem in hand. There is a pause, a thousand-yard stare, the eureka moment and the hero exclaims, "That's it! You're a genius! It's been staring me right in the face. Come on, we've got no time to lose.".

I think The Good Place does this every episode. And the end of every Ruth Rendell Mysteries except George Baker would mutter  "Oh, what a fool I've been."

Just watched an episode The Good Place I haven't seen before and they send up this very cliche. I should write for them.

This might be more of a TV one. A character who is obsessed with Elvis Presley.

Clark Kent's boss in The New Adventures of Superman and the cafe owner in Redford Rejects, to name but two.

Berthas Fat Leg

A bunch of people, usually family members or work colleagues, get themselves into a heated debate. One of the group is pregnant - just as the argument intensifies, she goes into labour.

greenman

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 01, 2019, 10:55:23 PM

Clark Kent's boss in The New Adventures of Superman and the cafe owner in Redford Rejects, to name but two.

The guy in Robocop 2 with Elvis's corpse in a glass case though is great.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greenman on October 02, 2019, 07:17:34 PM
The guy in Robocop 2 with Elvis's corpse in a glass case though is great.

Jimmy Rabbitte Sr.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 01, 2019, 10:55:23 PM

Do these people still exist in real life? You know the type I mean, ageing and rather haunted-looking blokes who actually walk around with an Elvis quiff and sideburns? You could still spot them out in the wild as late as the mid-90s, but I think they've all died off now.