Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2019, 07:29:52 PM
Do these people still exist in real life? You know the type I mean, ageing and rather haunted-looking blokes who actually walk around with an Elvis quiff and sideburns? You could still spot them out in the wild as late as the mid-90s, but I think they've all died off now.
They're all over places like Stockport and Bury.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kalowski on October 02, 2019, 08:02:05 PM
They're all over places like Stockport and Bury.

That's good to know, I hate the thought of them becoming extinct.

magval

Do these people still exist in real life? You know the type I mean, ageing and rather haunted-looking blokes who actually walk around with an Elvis quiff and sideburns? You could still spot them out in the wild as late as the mid-90s, but I think they've all died off now.

Dungannon Town's Paddy Elvis is still about. Actually changed his name to Paddy Elvis, and that really happened. Mad auld life story, Paddy Elvis. He doesn't dress like Elvis anymore but is thus named for alway.

BlodwynPig

Paddy Elves - you mean Leprechauns?

Phil_A

Mark Kermode's still around, he never used to shut up about his Elvis fixation at one time.

Mr Banlon

gilbertharding

I'm sure there are still a few, mostly in care homes now. You used to see wannabe Kieth Richards drinking in pubs in the daytime for a while, but the mantle has largely been taken up by Paul Weller fans - and because they seem to have quite a large age range, I think we'll have them for years to come.

Mr Banlon

If you see a house in the UK with a big scruffy American sedan in the driveway (usually with a Confederate flag bumper sticker or American flag cushions on the rear shelf), the occupant will probably be a side-burned 'Elvis Guy'.
There's a couple of blokes round my way like that. One drives a battered old 80s Lincoln Town Car with a boomerang aerial, and the other drives a cream '79 Deville with loads of aftermarket chrome stuff glued on, and a bobblehead Elvis on the dash.

Sebastian Cobb

I always liked the Elvis lookalike stepdad played by Eldon in TMRJ or FOF, can't immediately remember which.

The boomerang on the lincoln is the icing on the cake really, those things were television aerials on limos, so it's almost certainly cosmetic.

Sebastian Cobb

Looking through a pile of letters and just nonchalantly chucking the ones you're not interested in on the floor, usually in a communal space like the close in some flats.

If I caught my neighbour doing that I'd be telling them to pick that shit up.

popcorn

Giant text superimposed over the image. Seems to have started on posters (with The Social Network?) but now all over TV shows and movies. Most recent offenders are Mindhunter and Joker.

This was cool and interesting and bold the first time I saw it but now every time I see it it's just "yeah so you're doing that specific thing everyone else is doing, great work".

I find this cliche particularly grating because it has such an air of boldness, grandstanding, showoffiness, as if daring you to fucking deal with this text you fucking square, but we've all seen it a hundred times by now.

Icehaven

Quote from: popcorn on October 06, 2019, 11:22:48 PM

And that doesn't even work because that's not Mark Zuckerberg, it's Jesse Eisenberg. I mean I know he played Zuckerberg in the film, but as with a lot of biopics where the actor playing the role doesn't look anything like the real person and there aren't really any make up or clothing tricks that can help, it still just looks like a picture of Eisenberg with random words that don't apply to him over the top. Too many bergs. Berg berg berg berg berg.

olliebean

Zuckerberg, Iceberg, what's in a name?

famethrowa

When the baddies stick a needle in the good guy, push the syringe and he's out cold in about half a second. Has this ever been lampooned? Would be good to see Clive Face or Baldy Statham pretend to go sleepy, then jump up and boot their bums saying "you stupid caants, don't you know anything about metabolism?" And then drop over 10-15 seconds later.

popcorn

Giant text superimposed over the image. Seems to have started on posters (with The Social Network?) but now all over TV shows and movies. Most recent offenders are Mindhunter and Joker.

I pirated Joker just so I could screenshot this but it's in some disgusting foreign language.

lipsink

In comedy films a scene will end with a character getting covered with paint/water. Then the next shot will be them sitting in the passenger seat of a car in silence looking furious and covered in paint/water.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I'm very aware this is very probably just me, but I'm tired of impassive, expressionless young male leads.

Jesse Eisenberg's sudden success seemed to popularise the style, and now people like Tye Sheridan, Dylan Minette and Ansel Elgort all feel completely interchangeable to me; blandly handsome, largely inexpressive performers.

Sin Agog

Female baddies tend to be a bit kicky.  I assume it's because of the backwards belief that if wimmen have trouble opening jars of raspberry jam, the only physical threat they could possibly pose is via their Robert Crumb-esque thighs.

popcorn

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 13, 2019, 12:34:38 AM
Female baddies tend to be a bit kicky.  I assume it's because of the backwards belief that if wimmen have trouble opening jars of raspberry jam, the only physical threat they could possibly pose is via their Robert Crumb-esque thighs.

There was a long period where female heroes (is it OK to say heroines or not?), often sidekicks, used mainly bows. Seemed to be an acceptable way to make them threatening while still seeming feminine.

Icehaven

Group of people awaiting a phone call which will bring either good or bad news, phone rings, one of them takes the call, solemnly says something like 'I understand, thank you.' and hangs up, turns to the room still solemn and distant, and quitely says...it's the good news. Room explodes jubilantly around them.

neveragain

Confused protagonist and possible baddie have discussion. PB mentions some tiny detail (usually in a way that doesn't manage to sound natural, such as "Oh and I hope your brother with the cauliflower ear got you something nice for your birthday") that shows they know more than they're letting on. CP will either silently note it then charge off to swell of tense music or spit out "I didn't tell you I had a birthday" or whatever it is much to PB's faltering derision.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 24, 2019, 07:27:54 PM
Watching a bit of Captain America:First Avenger this evening made me wonder has shooting through the car/truck/train roof to dislodge someone hanging on ever worked? I can't think of one example.

Sorry to quote myself, but I saw it work today while catching a bit of Mad Max 2!

rasta-spouse

Giant text superimposed over the image

Does this go back to Godard and French NW as origin point?

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 13, 2019, 12:34:38 AM
Female baddies tend to be a bit kicky.

Pretty much every female heroine (is there any other sort?) these days wraps their legs around a guy's head in a fight. Saw it in Hobbs & Shaw recently.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Blumf

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 24, 2019, 07:27:54 PM
Watching a bit of Captain America:First Avenger this evening made me wonder has shooting through the car/truck/train roof to dislodge someone hanging on ever worked? I can't think of one example.

You're right. But at least train carriage roofs aren't bulletproof - unlike ordinary car doors.

(Mind you - I haven't seen a bulletproof car door for a while - maybe that cliche has died already).

Brundle-Fly

Whenever a very famous person from history makes their cameo or first appearance in a biopic, (usually a well known character actor in a ton of prosthetics) if they're not addressed by their name, there is almost a palpable beat left for the viewers to nudge each other and whisper, "Oo, look who it is"