Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:44:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

I think this is more of a television thing, but whenever the detective main character turns up to the murder scene the forensic pathologist character in the white overalls is always really cheery and cracks loads of jokey banter.

BlodwynPig

The film The Jackal in its entirety

Berthas Fat Leg

Creepy roadside petrol stations. Attendant either always gets murdered, or is 'in' on all the recent slayings in the area.

Blumf

Quote from: Berthas Fat Leg on October 26, 2019, 08:53:39 PM
Creepy roadside petrol stations. Attendant either always gets murdered, or is 'in' on all the recent slayings in the area.

Inverted in Highway to Hell (1991), where the weirdo garage owner helps them fight the devil

The half-mad old local, in a country area, who hints at dark things afoot or having taken place.

olliebean

Halloween, with the streets absolutely full of dressed-up kids out trick-or-treating. I don't know if it's like that in real life in America, but is isn't over here, and they did it in Motherland.

Berthas Fat Leg

A villain is shot, stabbed, beaten, run over, yet still pretty much just carries on as if nothing has happened.

Thomas

Quote from: Berthas Fat Leg on October 26, 2019, 08:53:39 PM

Quote from: Blumf on October 26, 2019, 09:24:04 PM
Inverted in Highway to Hell (1991), where the weirdo garage owner helps them fight the devil

Also amusingly piss-taken in Cabin in the Woods.

Piggyoioi

some cunt gets injured or infected by something. the cunt doesnt tell anyone..... for some reason, even though they're usually a pretty actor playing a scientist of someshit. their illness or injury matters most when its most inconvenient to the plot, no one will call them on their bullshit.

Icehaven

Bartenders with a teatowel slung over one shoulder. Unless it's something that actually happens in American bars, but I've never seen it in a British one so assumed it must just be visual shorthand for 'this person is the bartender.'

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 09:17:12 PM
Bartenders with a teatowel slung over one shoulder. Unless it's something that actually happens in American bars, but I've never seen it in a British one so assumed it must just be visual shorthand for 'this person is the bartender.'

The only places I've seen it are in pretentious "oooohh this is a real bar" type bars. It's for twats.

kalowski

As spotted in War Horse this afternoon:

Powerful character (eg general, police chief, CEO) walks forward (upper half of body in shot) and camera tracks backwards as he (usually) barks out orders as he is followed by various lackeys. Extra points: camera stops moving so he walks out of shot and a pair of lackeys smile at each other (they love this guy)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 03, 2019, 09:18:02 PM
The only places I've seen it are in pretentious "oooohh this is a real bar" type bars. It's for twats.

Hirsute and oiled, the fucks

The small, elderly Kung Fu master is a cliché I'm fine with.

Blumf

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 09:17:12 PM

Health departments won't allow you to put it in a pocket or shove it down back of your pants. Shoulder is the only place you can keep one on you as you move around. Can't let it touch your hair though.

holyzombiejesus

Man searching hospital ward grabs a file from the desk of a busy receptionist or a white coat from an orderly and pretends to be a doctor.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 04, 2019, 11:40:31 AM
Health departments won't allow you to put it in a pocket or shove it down back of your pants. Shoulder is the only place you can keep one on you as you move around. Can't let it touch your hair though.

We were in the pub one night and my builder mate had done his groin in at work so asked the barman for a teatowel with ice to put on it.

Straight back in the pile until it was pointed out where it had been.

Quote from: Blumf on November 04, 2019, 10:10:35 AM
Even this one?

Why is that someone who's not even Asian done up or something?

Sebastian Cobb

You can guarantee at some point the wisened old asian stereotype will exclaim words like 'honour' almost as if they were sentences in themself.

oy vey

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 04, 2019, 01:26:43 PM
Man searching hospital ward grabs a file from the desk of a busy receptionist or a white coat from an orderly and pretends to be a doctor.

This one is mega-used to this very day. Trainspotting 2 (Begbie's escape) and Fractured (dogshit straight to Netflix movie).

It can be expanded into man grabs rough basics of a uniform to fit into venue... e.g. Robert de Niro sticks on a hotel porter's jacket at the end of Heat so he can conduct his revenge killing without interruption.

Blumf

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 04, 2019, 09:39:48 PM
Why is that someone who's not even Asian done up or something?

That'd be crazy

Icehaven

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 04, 2019, 01:26:43 PM

Quote from: oy vey on November 04, 2019, 10:42:12 PM
This one is mega-used to this very day.

It's so overdone that when I'm in an actual hospital and see the medical staff traipsing through the corridors I find myself wondering how many are imposters looking for their nemesis/estranged wife/child, or just pretending to be doctors like in that Paul McGann drama (and it's not uncommon irl apparently anyway.)

purlieu

Quote from: icehaven on November 05, 2019, 01:35:54 PMor just pretending to be doctors like in that Paul McGann drama
I know some dislike the film and some of its decisions, but you can't just say he was pretending. McGann was definitely The Doctor.

olliebean

In a court case, a barrister pursues a line of questioning that in some way breaks the rules of the court, and is reprimanded by the judge. The judge then instructs the jury to disregard the previous bit of testimony, although everyone present knows perfectly well that they will be utterly incapable of doing so.

This is a deliberate strategy and is how that barrister routinely wins trials.

lipsink

Character is handed a baby who immediately stops crying. Other person says: "Oh she likes you. You're a natural."

Two people make up funny stories about people they see on the street. "Look at this woman. I bet she's secretly a spy and has a sex dungeon". Used first in Annie Hall and also in Shaun of The Dead.

Person is revealed to have been injured the whole time when another person pats them on the back and they let out a shriek.

Jim Bob

Quote from: lipsink on November 06, 2019, 10:13:01 PM
Character is handed a baby who immediately stops crying. Other person says: "Oh she likes you. You're a natural."

Equally, a dog barking at someone who's a wrong 'un.  I've had dogs bark at me but I'm not evil.  At least, I don't think I am.

Icehaven

In comedy, someone trying to make a dramatic exit, probably after a dramatic speech, then struggling to open the door and needing help from whoever they're walking out on, and/or then needing to come back because they've forgotten something.

Blumf

Quote from: icehaven on November 07, 2019, 07:25:57 AM
In comedy, someone trying to make a dramatic exit, probably after a dramatic speech, then struggling to open the door and needing help from whoever they're walking out on, and/or then needing to come back because they've forgotten something.

the midnight watch baboon

Not really something that ticks me off so much, but during the opening credits there's sometimes a delay after the main cast have been namechecked and just before the 'and' actor is credited, as if they are being afforded some kind of gravitas, that the production company are going, "Ah-ha, look who we've got in this, they're trending right now!" Kind of.