Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on November 07, 2019, 09:37:33 AM
Not really something that ticks me off so much, but during the opening credits there's sometimes a delay after the main cast have been namechecked and just before the 'and' actor is credited, as if they are being afforded some kind of gravitas, that the production company are going, "Ah-ha, look who we've got in this, they're trending right now!" Kind of.

I think that's negotiated by the actor's agent, like the stupid shit with the font height of their names on posters.

the midnight watch baboon

Yeah I think that's often the case. And with the posters you mention it does mildly rankle me when an ensemble cast has all the wrong names above the heads of the actors. Really quite mild.

EOLAN

Quote from: icehaven on November 07, 2019, 07:25:57 AM
In comedy, someone trying to make a dramatic exit, probably after a dramatic speech, then struggling to open the door and needing help from whoever they're walking out on, and/or then needing to come back because they've forgotten something.

The Fr Ted Christmas special did a lovely version of this in fairness, mixing in the growing destruction as Ted tries to embarrasedly leave more quietly each time. Probably like it more cos it reminds me of the time a very stern teacher told me to leave for giggling and not to bang the door on the way out; Looked to lightly close door but in a room I wasn't in before; released slightly early and it took a massive swing to close. 

lipsink

Character is asked to stop swearing. They say "Oh, I'm sorry." Then they swear again.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

In comedy, someone trying to make a dramatic exit, probably after a dramatic speech, then struggling to open the door and needing help from whoever they're walking out on, and/or then needing to come back because they've forgotten something.

I liked the example of this in Frasier when Daphne has a go at Frasier and Marty, then storms off down the wrong hallway. Always felt like a genuine mistake given how they react but I could be wrong.

Jim Bob

In comedy, someone trying to make a dramatic exit, probably after a dramatic speech, then struggling to open the door and needing help from whoever they're walking out on...

Ah, come on.  This is pretty great.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: lipsink on November 07, 2019, 10:54:49 AM
Character is asked to stop swearing. They say "Oh, I'm sorry." Then they swear again.
I'm really sorry, you won't hear any more swearing from us YOU MASSIVE. GAY. SHITE. FUCK OFF.

Or storm out dramatically, then return a little sheepishly as they have forgotten something.  The Joker subverted this one nicely.

oy vey

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 07, 2019, 06:14:45 PM
Or storm out dramatically, then return a little sheepishly as they have forgotten something.  The Joker subverted this one nicely.

The Just Sack Pat scene from Alpha Papa.

mr. logic

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on November 07, 2019, 09:37:33 AM
Not really something that ticks me off so much, but during the opening credits there's sometimes a delay after the main cast have been namechecked and just before the 'and' actor is credited, as if they are being afforded some kind of gravitas, that the production company are going, "Ah-ha, look who we've got in this, they're trending right now!" Kind of.

Isn't the 'And...' credit often at the stipulation of the actor his or herself? But, I agree, it feels cloying.

Icehaven

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 07, 2019, 06:14:45 PM
Or storm out dramatically, then return a little sheepishly as they have forgotten something.

Think you forgot the end of my comment ;)

purlieu

Quote from: mr. logic on November 08, 2019, 05:21:28 AM
Isn't the 'And...' credit often at the stipulation of the actor his or herself? But, I agree, it feels cloying.
I particularly dislike it when it's... 'And [Actor] as [Character]'. As if they're not only saying 'I'm the most important person here' but also 'and my character is the most important character too'.

Blumf

I always took that to mean "You won't know him, so to help, he's the only playing this guy, okay"

Clownbaby

In trailers for kiddy animated movies, a shot of a character (usually an ordinary type) unexpectedly bumping into another character (usually a yeti or something spooky or an animal that talks or an alien) and the one screams and then the unexpected one screams as well and isn't it so funny they're both equally scared of eachother at the same time, nut it's a kind of goofy scream so you know they'll be pure mates soon. Seen this last in the Sonic movie trailer, I swear I've seen this so much before

Jim Bob

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 08, 2019, 11:28:09 PM
In trailers for kiddy animated movies, a shot of a character (usually an ordinary type) unexpectedly bumping into another character (usually a yeti or something spooky or an animal that talks or an alien) and the one screams and then the unexpected one screams as well and isn't it so funny they're both equally scared of eachother at the same time, nut it's a kind of goofy scream so you know they'll be pure mates soon. Seen this last in the Sonic movie trailer, I swear I've seen this so much before

The earliest example that I can think of would be E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, but the trope probably dates farther back than that.

Cuellar

Just seen it in a trailer for the tedious looking film about Le Mans, when a character hits another character, the character who gets hit goes something like

"Huh..OK" as if unaffected
BEAT
[hittee launches themself at the hitter and they have a scrap]

haven't written words well but you know what I mean.

lipsink

A person holds a book signing (the book possibly being about the events of the film) and they'll ask a person in the queue who they'd like the signing made out to (not looking at them). The person will then say "Make it out to..." and then say something that only the author would recognise. The author will then look up at them.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 09, 2019, 01:33:28 AM
Quote from: Clownbaby on November 08, 2019, 11:28:09 PMIn trailers for kiddy animated movies, a shot of a character (usually an ordinary type) unexpectedly bumping into another character (usually a yeti or something spooky or an animal that talks or an alien) and the one screams and then the unexpected one screams as well and isn't it so funny they're both equally scared of eachother at the same time, nut it's a kind of goofy scream so you know they'll be pure mates soon. Seen this last in the Sonic movie trailer, I swear I've seen this so much before

The earliest example that I can think of would be E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, but the trope probably dates farther back than that.

Isn't there an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, the one with the weirdly-shaped red hairy monster, where that happens?

EDIT: Just checked, not quite:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HorrifyingTheHorror
QuoteBugs Bunny

In the short "Hair-Raising Hare", Bugs tells the monster who's been pursuing him that he's being watched by the audience. The monster says "People!", screams, and turns and runs through a series of walls.

Bugs pulls this again in "Herr Meets Hare" when he surrenders himself to "Fatso" Goering and is presented to Adolf Hitler. Both of them are freaked out by Bugs dressed up as Josef Stalin.

One short has a shivering great white shark jump out of the water and cling to a pole for dear life at the sight of the Tasmanian devil.

Although admittedly that's not the exact Trope, maybe they have a more specific one.

holyzombiejesus

A poor person carefully stashing money in an old tin. When they need the money, the tin or money will be gone and some sad music will play.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: lipsink on November 26, 2019, 09:44:51 AM
A person holds a book signing (the book possibly being about the events of the film) and they'll ask a person in the queue who they'd like the signing made out to (not looking at them). The person will then say "Make it out to..." and then say something that only the author would recognise. The author will then look up at them.....

but the person is nowhere to be seen.
Roll credits

Any scene when someone is wondering 'whatever happened to so-and-so who I knew years ago?' and doesn't have any way to actually find out. That worked in the era prior to widespread social media. In the present day, you'd more likely than not be able to track them down online.

Quote from: lipsink on November 26, 2019, 09:44:51 AM
A person holds a book signing (the book possibly being about the events of the film) and they'll ask a person in the queue who they'd like the signing made out to (not looking at them). The person will then say "Make it out to..." and then say something that only the author would recognise. The author will then look up at them.

They'd probably not be making personalised dedications if the line was busy, so as to get through more people.

famethrowa

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 18, 2020, 10:34:48 AM
A poor person carefully stashing money in an old tin. When they need the money, the tin or money will be gone and some sad music will play.

Was it heavy as a rock, with a big pad-lock?

famethrowa

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on February 18, 2020, 12:48:25 PM
Thought that was a Womack and Womack song.

Not quite, that one went "solid as a cock"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 08, 2019, 11:28:09 PM
Recently adopted in that last Mary Shelley episode of Doctor Who at the end of the pre credit sequence.

Brundle-Fly

A baddie saying to somebody he slightly suspects of being a cop/reporter/ pesky kids. "You sure do ask a lotta questions."

Quote from: famethrowa on February 18, 2020, 04:17:47 PM
Not quite, that one went "solid as a cock"

Back in 1985, a lad called David Hardy sang that lyric to the actual song in our maths lesson.  That was quite funny but five years later his brother died from a dodgy acid tab, a fitting lesson that life's not all fun and laughter

olliebean

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 18, 2020, 05:05:15 PM
Recently adopted in that last Mary Shelley episode of Doctor Who at the end of the pre credit sequence.

Yes, when there was absolutely no reason for anyone to be screaming. The Doctor and friends were knocking on the door. Why would it scare them that somebody opened it? And why would it scare the people inside, that there were people outside the door that they'd opened because someone was knocking on it? Really bugged me, that, a completely specious contrived dramatic moment just because they couldn't come up with a real one to go into the credits with.

famethrowa

As I said about 50 pages or something ago, I hate the "scream at each other" cliche, mainly because it is used as a joke substitute in things like The Hangover and Hot Tub Time Machine etc. Watched that Jim Carry beardo bloke in Last Man on Earth and he did a huge surprised scream and passed out after seeing someone, that was the end of that show for me.