Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

The password thing always annoys me, that an otherwise very sneaky and slippery antagonist would use obvious key dates and words that would instantly be guessable. Does no-one else set their password ''breadroll!!!hrembingoconsecration??5555fatEGGScunt6'', i.e a nonsense set of words that no-one would really think to put together?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lipsink on June 13, 2020, 10:01:55 PM
Often they'll look at a framed picture that is sitting next to the computer they're trying to hack into.

A photo of the villain posing on his yacht called My Laptop Password.

timebug

Being ancient, it always got me that in the films and tv that I grew up with, in an emergency someone had to 'find a phone'.
Later as the years passed, they usually found a phone box that had been vandalised. Come the day of the mobile phone, and in every fucking instance, when the shit hits the fan and help is needed....either the battery is dead, or there is no signal.
Boring. Yes the main characters usually lead full and exciting lives, but they can't be arsed to charge their phone during the night???? And (especially in the UK) how many areas are total 'blind spots' for reception? Okay it might be me, but this is a cliche that has been beaten to death!

Sin Agog

Mardy main character being a superlative doodler.  I'm not sure if doodling makes you depressed or being depressed makes you doodle, but there sure are a lot of doodling depressives out there in medialand.

olliebean

Quote from: Clownbaby on June 14, 2020, 12:47:35 AM
The password thing always annoys me, that an otherwise very sneaky and slippery antagonist would use obvious key dates and words that would instantly be guessable. Does no-one else set their password ''breadroll!!!hrembingoconsecration??5555fatEGGScunt6'', i.e a nonsense set of words that no-one would really think to put together?

You absolute fucker, how did you guess my password?

Brundle-Fly

Supernatural thrillers that have a scene when a toy ball by its own accord rolls into a room and then stops in the middle of the floor. I saw this in the Hereditary (2018) trailer last night. Throw in a clockwork toy suddenly bursting into activety and the distant reverbed chuckle of a small child and you've scored the cliche hat trick. How do these hoary old moments still make the final cut? It's like watching a contemporary magician pulling a coin from behind somebody's ear. Wooo.

Icehaven

Two people pretending to be a couple, someone asks them when they met or how long they'd been together, and they both simultaneously blurt out different answers, then come up with some spurious explanation as to why.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: timebug on June 14, 2020, 10:05:13 AM
Being ancient, it always got me that in the films and tv that I grew up with, in an emergency someone had to 'find a phone'.
Later as the years passed, they usually found a phone box that had been vandalised. Come the day of the mobile phone, and in every fucking instance, when the shit hits the fan and help is needed....either the battery is dead, or there is no signal.
Boring. Yes the main characters usually lead full and exciting lives, but they can't be arsed to charge their phone during the night???? And (especially in the UK) how many areas are total 'blind spots' for reception? Okay it might be me, but this is a cliche that has been beaten to death!

A really pedantic one is phones going back to dialtone. The phone systems in Hollywood actually did this as they used a 'step system' (I think this is what would be called a Strowger Exchange in the UK) that couldn't tell if the calling party had hung up, but if the caller hangs up, the system returns dial tone to the called party because it doesn't know if you've been hung up on or just picked up the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUIiUXvnkUQ

As the video points out, doing so with mobile phones is inexcusable.

neveragain

Also, people on the phone going "Hello? Hello?" when the other caller has hung up. There would be a dial tone so it makes little sense.

Gulftastic

Has frantically tapping the mouthpiece cradle on a candlestick telephone ever reconnected a phone call?

purlieu

Yes, people tapping the button on the cradle never made sense to me - surely that would hang it up, if anything?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 28, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
Has frantically tapping the mouthpiece cradle on a candlestick telephone ever reconnected a phone call?

In the uk, if you did this right you could put someone on hold and get a 2nd line. I think some pulse-dial phones had a button to initiate it, but you could do it by blapping the button (just like you can tap the button to pulse dial).

Basically just need buzby to explain it properly and correct the parts of this that are actually wrong.

olliebean

Tapping the cradle 10 times used to be the equivalent of dialling a "0", which would connect you to the operator. That's why you see people frantically tapping it in old-timey stuff - often whilst shouting "Operator!" down the mouthpiece. I'm not clear why they wouldn't just dial a "0". Perhaps abusing the cradle was more satisfying.

kngen

Quote from: olliebean on June 28, 2020, 10:13:06 PM
Tapping the cradle 10 times used to be the equivalent of dialling a "0", which would connect you to the operator. That's why you see people frantically tapping it in old-timey stuff - often whilst shouting "Operator!" down the mouthpiece. I'm not clear why they wouldn't just dial a "0". Perhaps abusing the cradle was more satisfying.

My mate telling me that you could tap out a phone number using the cradle buttons then actually doing it successfully remains the biggest 'Don't talk shite ... fucking hell, it's true!' moment in my life. Stick that in the movies, Hollywood - you'll blow the kids' minds!

Dr Rock

Yeah,it was useful for getting round them locks some parents would put on the phone dial. You could tap the number you wanted to call by clicking the receiver seven times fast, then three times fast and so on. Wasn't always easy, but if you wanted to play 'funny phone calls' essential.

Sebastian Cobb

Richie of course takes the piss out of this in bottom (live?) I think.

Fr.Bigley

Maybe they have fucked off because they don't make these films anymore; but the spinning newspaper with Headline emblazoned on it. Winds me up, like properly. always with some weird incidental music over the top, trumpet based usually.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 30, 2020, 11:37:06 AM
Maybe they have fucked off because they don't make these films anymore; but the spinning newspaper with Headline emblazoned on it. Winds me up, like properly. always with some weird incidental music over the top, trumpet based usually.
But the source of so many great Simpsons jokes. And better than the modern alternative, the terrible fake TV news broadcast.

Captain Z

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 29, 2020, 07:33:57 PM
Yeah,it was useful for getting round them locks some parents would put on the phone dial. You could tap the number you wanted to call by clicking the receiver seven times fast, then three times fast and so on. Wasn't always easy, but if you wanted to play 'funny phone calls' essential.

How did you tap 0?

Dr Rock

olliebean

Quote from: Captain Z on June 30, 2020, 12:12:42 PM
How did you tap 0?
Quote from: olliebean on June 28, 2020, 10:13:06 PM

Sebastian Cobb

It all makes sense when you consider how the dialing mechanism of a rotary phone works, its just a notched wheel turningwwith a switch resting on it. So the further you turn it the more (corresponding) notches pass through the switch. 0 is after 9

Icehaven

Sebastian Cobb

A parable delivered through a story whereby an authority figure (drill seargent, professor, Dr Romano in ER) being a prick most of the time but then once showing compassion.

EOLAN

Quote from: icehaven on June 30, 2020, 10:21:37 PM
"When I was a little girl..."

I definitely advise you to give Hitchcock's American version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" a miss in that case.

JesusAndYourBush

Writing an amount of money on a piece of paper and passing it to the other person, rather than simply telling them.

samadriel

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 01, 2020, 12:55:56 PM
Writing an amount of money on a piece of paper and passing it to the other person, rather than simply telling them.

Wonderful use of this in The Office US.

olliebean

The characters go to see the Aurora Borealis in real life and there, up in the real-life sky, is a time-lapsed version of the Aurora Borealis.

Blumf

Quote from: olliebean on July 01, 2020, 02:36:08 PM
The characters go to see the Aurora Borealis in real life and there, up in the real-life sky, is a time-lapsed version of the Aurora Borealis.

And it's not overcast, and it's actually active that night.