Author Topic: Film cliches you want to fuck off  (Read 164549 times)

magval

• Magnum Valentino
Re: Film cliches you want to fuck off
« Reply #2070 on: July 16, 2020, 11:29:47 PM »
Aye what good does the repeating do? Nothing - but you've seen it in something else, so why not write it into your OWN script?

notjosh

• Golden Member
« Reply #2071 on: July 17, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Treble score if they go back too far and not far enough (or vice versa). i.e., "What did you just say?" - "No, before that." - "No, after that!"

See also: an investigator hearing something on a tape recording and repeatedly rewinding it back in increasingly small increments until it's just one phrase repeated about 12 times. It's not until the 12th time that something clicks and the investigator goes "ohhhh, he's saying 'I did it', that must mean he did it".

Think this might have started with The Conversation but can also be spotted in The Sixth Sense, I, Robot, and loads of CSI episodes, probably.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #2072 on: July 17, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »
Probably in the thread already but the wide-eyed "wait a second - say that again" when a boffin needs a solution to a problem and someone says something seemingly unrelated that gives them an idea. Double score if they go back too far/not far enough and repeat some boring part of what they said. Just saw it in Dr Phibes Rises Again but it was in Independence Day as well.

And then the person will then just fuck off without telling anyone the epiphany/plan they've just had. Apparently the best way to work on a problem in a group is to have as few people know as little information as possible.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #2073 on: July 17, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Think this might have started with The Conversation

But there, the repetition has a real purpose; to clean up the recording, and because Harry misunderstands what turns out to be ambiguous phrases.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #2074 on: July 17, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
But there, the repetition has a real purpose; to clean up the recording, and because Harry misunderstands what turns out to be ambiguous phrases.
I've often wondered if they rerecorded the phrase, because I got the same sense as Harry and had the same revelation when it was heard later on.

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #2075 on: July 17, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
The use of home cine camera footage in contemporary films to depict happy memories from the recent past.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #2076 on: July 17, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
Have any film cliches actually fucked off for good? Not as a result of this thread, we can only dream of wielding such power, but because their ubiquity has rendered them obsolete, apart from when used in a deliberately parodic context?

I can't imagine our old favourite, the hobo tossing his bottle of grog away after witnessing something crazy, being used these days even as a gag at the cliche's expense. It's too played out. Same goes for the POV shot of a murderer startling their intended victim. "Oh, it's you! Phew, you scared me! Wait, wait, what are you doing?! Aaaargh!"

You're not going to see that in a film made now, are you? Maybe I'm giving hack filmmakers too much credit, I dunno.

« Reply #2077 on: July 18, 2020, 12:40:33 AM »
Fight scene bursting in on a topless woman seems unlikely to happen in these PG-13 regimented times.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #2078 on: July 18, 2020, 12:47:13 AM »
Do they still pan away to the fireplace in love scenes?

« Reply #2079 on: July 18, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Fight scene bursting in on a topless woman seems unlikely to happen in these PG-13 regimented times.

Commando is my favourite for that. How hard were that couple fucking that they couldn't hear Arnie and the Green Beret fighting and shooting at each other through the adjoining door?

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #2080 on: July 18, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
The use of home cine camera footage in contemporary films to depict happy memories from the recent past.

Now replaced with low-quality video camcorder footage. The latest Shane Meadows thing with Stephen Graham being a prime example.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #2081 on: July 18, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »
Commando is my favourite for that. How hard were that couple fucking that they couldn't hear Arnie and the Green Beret fighting and shooting at each other through the adjoining door?

Plus, what exactly were they up to? The lady appears to be behind the man, who's on all fours.

« Reply #2082 on: July 18, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

It's the only way to get footage without timecodes and flashing "REC" indicators burned into the corners of the frame.

« Reply #2083 on: July 18, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
Plus, what exactly were they up to? The lady appears to be behind the man, who's on all fours.

He's letting off some steam with a spot of light pegging.

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #2084 on: July 18, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
Now replaced with low-quality video camcorder footage. The latest Shane Meadows thing with Stephen Graham being a prime example.

But it hasn’t entirely replaced it - that’s the point. It’s a bit incongruous to have a movie where twenty somethings are talking to each other on smartphones and you then see some cinefilm footage of them as kids, when these two technologies are over 50 years apart.

Admittedly the example that brought this to mind (a fantasy sequence in La La Land) doesn’t quite fit the cliche, because it was imagined events rather than a way to signify a flashback. And perhaps it’s the case that it was done knowingly, due to the movie industry featuring in the film - but I’m not sure it was quite clever enough for that.

« Reply #2085 on: July 19, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Bring back exposition via spinning newspapers I say. Except they can now be tweets or something

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
« Reply #2086 on: July 19, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »
Do they still pan away to the fireplace in love scenes?

Or waves crashing on a beach with increasing speed?

« Reply #2087 on: July 19, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »
The Weekenders has a great spinning newspaper bit

« Reply #2088 on: July 19, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
Have any film cliches actually fucked off for good? Not as a result of this thread, we can only dream of wielding such power, but because their ubiquity has rendered them obsolete, apart from when used in a deliberately parodic context?

I can't imagine our old favourite, the hobo tossing his bottle of grog away after witnessing something crazy, being used these days even as a gag at the cliche's expense. It's too played out. Same goes for the POV shot of a murderer startling their intended victim. "Oh, it's you! Phew, you scared me! Wait, wait, what are you doing?! Aaaargh!"

You're not going to see that in a film made now, are you? Maybe I'm giving hack filmmakers too much credit, I dunno.

TV Tropes has:
"Discredited Trope" - cliches and outdated tropes
"Dead Horse Trope" - tropes which are beyond discredited and only used as a joke
"Forgotten Trope" - beyond the above; not even used as a joke any more

It notes that Forgotten Tropes tend to be ones that have become outdated.

Tags: