Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Practically  every bloody monster/ghost/mutant parasite/whatever having a pterodactyl roar/screech

Hand Solo

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 07, 2020, 08:09:09 PM
Practically  every bloody monster/ghost/mutant parasite/whatever having a pterodactyl roar/screech

I know the exact one you mean.

Clownbaby

magval

Also, monsters (trolls, orcs, whatever) letting out a roar just before commencing attack.

Clownbaby

Quote from: magval on August 07, 2020, 09:57:04 PM
Also, monsters (trolls, orcs, whatever) letting out a roar just before commencing attack.

That one, it was on the tip of my tongue. Sometimes there's even a beat of slince before they stand there and let out the ol' roar. Seems to be the exact same stance and head motion when they roar, as if it's a standard preset animation that comes with the CGI software that, I dunno, I Am Legend or any other film with fearsome CGI creatures uses

Icehaven

A woman doing a man's tie up and it creating a moment of sexual tension between them as he watches her while she concentrates on the tie, then she looks up into his eyes.

Hand Solo

Quote from: icehaven on August 08, 2020, 02:09:40 PM
A woman doing a man's tie up and it creating a moment of sexual tension between them as he watches her while she concentrates on the tie, then she looks up into his eyes.

Especially when he has to affectionately tuck that long bit of hair behind her ear, then later aggresively forces her head down further with both hands.

magval

Have seen this used recently in Buffy and The Sopranos both.

kalowski

Guardians of the Galaxy has just reminded me of one I hate:
Song plays loud on the soundtrack, extra points for a catchy but now forgotten hit, character removes headphones for us to realise that he was listening to it!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 07, 2020, 01:42:54 PM
Apparently this new one is based on a 2012 novel called Four Children and It and one of the characters actually has a copy of Five Children and It in the story, how hack is that?

Haha that's so crap.

magval

Quote from: kalowski on August 15, 2020, 10:33:17 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy has just reminded me of one I hate:
Song plays loud on the soundtrack, extra points for a catchy but now forgotten hit, character removes headphones for us to realise that he was listening to it!

Was it Guardians of the Galaxy that popularised having licensed pop/rock classics in trailers, which sort of supplanted the trend for the Inception 'brahmmm' horns?

I see Wonder Woman 2 has a film-scorified version of Blue Monday in its trailer but even with that format-tinkering it still seems out of fashion.

Brundle-Fly

A character punching a mirror out of anger and then looking into the fractured glass with a "What am I?/ What have I become?" tortured expression in their eyes.

A villain breaking into a locked room to see an open sash window with a net curtain blowing out of it to indicate his/her victim has escaped.

Why would anybody hide keys under a sun visor in the car or under a pot plant next to the front door or on top of the ledge above the front door?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 16, 2020, 10:17:22 AM
A character punching a mirror out of anger and then looking into the fractured glass with a "What am I?/ What have I become?" tortured expression in their eyes.

That Hitchcock film with Henry Fonda as the wrongly-accused man comes to mind - I forget its title.

JesusAndYourBush

The gun runs out of bullets so you throw the gun at the person you've been shooting at.

Dr Rock

Quote from: icehaven on August 08, 2020, 02:09:40 PM

Sort of done in Jojo Rabbit (I don't want to say it's sexual tension when one of them is ten years old). Elsa is doing a drawing for Jojo as he looks at her face.

Fr.Bigley

When someone has a cough and they're dying when really, it's just a cough. Think Mitchell and Webb addressed it.

Peru

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 07, 2020, 08:09:09 PM

Bonus points if it roars directly into the camera on first appearance, saliva spraying and uvula vibrating.

lipsink

When a character says something ballsy, frank or rude to a group of people. One of them will smile at the others and say: "I like him".

magval

Watched Jojo Rabbit last night, loved it, but it has a few of these, including another in the copy-and-paste dialogue subcategory - awkward moment followed by "it's weird now, did I make it weird, sorry, yeah, it's weird now". Don't think exists pre-Apatow but it's a very common building block in modern comedies.

Also, Rebel Wilson making reference to her physique is another cliche that seems to follow her from film to film. I don't understand how, if she's not requesting this, why it's so common. As soon as I saw her name in the credits, I vowed not to say anything as I don't want my wife to think I'm the sort of bore that never expects change or growth in actors who've proven their one-note nature already (like, you'd be an asshole if Rob Shneider appeared in a film and you went 'bet he says You Can Do It' as if he never wouldn't), and I was disappointed my instinct was right because in her first or second scene she mentioned she'd had many children for the Nazi cause then sort of presented herself as if to say "and I look like this", ie: someone who is believably speaking the truth, but the joke is, she doesn't see it.

This is not a commentary on body positivity or anything like that, it's an observation that Rebel Wilson makes constant reference to her weight in ways that suggest she's either defying an opinion that hasn't been offered (perhaps that she's unattractive, which is untrue) or that she is ignorant of her weight (which is disturbing merely because that's like ignoring you've two legs if you've two legs), and that's a film cliche I want to fuck off because I usually hate Rebel Wilson and in Jojo Rabbit she made me laugh more than anyone despite that fact.

I guess to summarise, I don't think a big funny fat lass need mention she's fat at all, whether using subversion of expectation or not.

lipsink

Quote from: magval on August 17, 2020, 02:37:34 PM
(like, you'd be an asshole if Rob Shneider appeared in a film and you went 'bet he says You Can Do It' as if he never wouldn't)

Heh, I watched his Netflix special over the weekend (well, the first 5 minutes) and before he says that literally before he even does any material.

magval

Another two - "it's funny because it's true". That's in JoJo Rabbit too, and I hate it.

And any kind of comment about cutting stuff. I hate hearing people discuss cutting material. Very common on podcasts and YouTube videos, I know this is for films but this is observed in the nature of this thread. Cut it then, til fuck, will ye. Andy Dawson.

popcorn

Quote from: magval on August 17, 2020, 02:37:34 PM
Also, Rebel Wilson making reference to her physique is another cliche that seems to follow her from film to film. I don't understand how, if she's not requesting this, why it's so common. As soon as I saw her name in the credits, I vowed not to say anything as I don't want my wife to think I'm the sort of bore that never expects change or growth in actors who've proven their one-note nature already (like, you'd be an asshole if Rob Shneider appeared in a film and you went 'bet he says You Can Do It' as if he never wouldn't), and I was disappointed my instinct was right because in her first or second scene she mentioned she'd had many children for the Nazi cause then sort of presented herself as if to say "and I look like this", ie: someone who is believably speaking the truth, but the joke is, she doesn't see it.

This is not a commentary on body positivity or anything like that, it's an observation that Rebel Wilson makes constant reference to her weight in ways that suggest she's either defying an opinion that hasn't been offered (perhaps that she's unattractive, which is untrue) or that she is ignorant of her weight (which is disturbing merely because that's like ignoring you've two legs if you've two legs), and that's a film cliche I want to fuck off because I usually hate Rebel Wilson and in Jojo Rabbit she made me laugh more than anyone despite that fact.

I guess to summarise, I don't think a big funny fat lass need mention she's fat at all, whether using subversion of expectation or not.

This is very rocky terrain but I broadly agree. I have found female comedians making jokes/reference to "unattractive" things about themselves a cliche from the last ten years. It's not the subject itself I find tiresome (male comedians talk about how bald/fat/whatever they are all the time), it's the particular narrow kind of way they do it, a narrow middle-class Radio 4 vocabulary. Lots of talk of "granny knickers" and "floppy boobs" (never breasts or tits, always "boobs") and that sort of thing. They are always the same sort of comedians who make jokes about the medium of interpretive dance.

magval

I got the feeling that a lot of Melissa McCarthy's laughs in Bridesmaids were designed to come from a position of "a woman who looks like this wouldn't normally be so physically confident". Melissa McCarthy is gorgeous, like.

Wasn't there an Amy Schumer film a few years ago with a 90s-Jim-Carrey grade gimmick that she starts behaving differently when she takes a knock on the head and one such manifestation is that she's all of a sudden convinced of her gorgeousness and acts accordingly. It's played for laughs that this woman - again, third time this page, NOT AT ALL UNATTRACTIVE - would think she was attractive enough to behave so sexually aggressively.

I agree with you Popcorn, it is rocky territory, but if you take all the surface away from what I'm saying it's that I'm fed up with women being put into situations where, as the evidence at least seems to suggest, making statements about their bodies is necessary.

samadriel

Quote from: magval on August 17, 2020, 07:45:15 PM
And any kind of comment about cutting stuff. I hate hearing people discuss cutting material. Very common on podcasts and YouTube videos, I know this is for films but this is observed in the nature of this thread. Cut it then, til fuck, will ye. Andy Dawson.

What, cutting as in self-harming, or cutting as in editing?

magval

The former mate. Like "we'll probably edit this out" as a statement of attributing value to something, one contributor's espousal they don't think it's any good, but it ends up in there anyway else we'd not hear them say it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: magval on August 18, 2020, 07:56:23 AM
The former mate. Like "we'll probably edit this out" as a statement of attributing value to something, one contributor's espousal they don't think it's any good, but it ends up in there anyway else we'd not hear them say it.

I've noticed that a lot on TrueAnon.

popcorn

Quote from: magval on August 18, 2020, 07:56:23 AM

So you meant the latter then?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: magval on August 17, 2020, 10:17:18 PMWasn't there an Amy Schumer film a few years ago with a 90s-Jim-Carrey grade gimmick that she starts behaving differently when she takes a knock on the head and one such manifestation is that she's all of a sudden convinced of her gorgeousness and acts accordingly. It's played for laughs that this woman - again, third time this page, NOT AT ALL UNATTRACTIVE - would think she was attractive enough to behave so sexually aggressively.
This is I Feel Pretty. There's a bit early on where she stands in front of a mirror and looks at herself with such self-loathing it's actually a bit too upsetting for a 90s-Jim-Carrey grade gimmick film.

Dex Sawash

Would like former and latter to fuck off because I don't know which one means first and which one means second.

popcorn

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 18, 2020, 11:33:53 AM
Would like former and latter to fuck off because I don't know which one means first and which one means second.

In writing I dislike "former and latter" because they're inevitably used as ways to avoid repeating the names of whatever you're actually talking about. This makes it harder to read because you have to go back and check which one is which. It also fails to fix the real cause of repetition, which usually comes from poor sentence structure, not repeated words.