Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:44:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on August 17, 2020, 09:32:27 PM
. I have found female comedians making jokes/reference to "unattractive" things about themselves a cliche from the last ten years.

I think Tina Fey in 30 Rock is extremely guilty of this, the show is basically written around her being a gross weirdo, it's a bit grating sometimes. Same goes for Zooey Deschanel in New Girl.

they're not films I know

Jerzy Bondov

I'd like to defend New Girl[nb]because I honestly fucking love it[/nb] - most of the jokes about Zooey's character are about how she's annoying or weird or unhinged, and attractive people can be all of those things. She frequently attracts good looking men, but they're ultimately put off by her bizarre behaviour. That's why she has to end up with weirdo Nick Miller.

Also I think in TV land you have to assume that the baseline of being good looking is higher than in real life. Every person who lives in the New Girl flat is hot as fuck.

I agree about 30 Rock.

magval

The alternative to this is someone like George Costanza stepping out with gorgeous women in every episode of Seinfeld DESPITE the show itself making it apparent we're supposed to think he's gross, too.

Ultimately, I guess it's supposed to serve the story/the joke. Perhaps this would work in a novel where appearance is impossible to definitively portray, but in a visual medium that dog won't hunt, Monsignor

Clownbaby

Tina Fey in 30 Rock also annoys me more than others because she's not even good at acting like she's awkward and a bit gross. There's a lot of actors who are obviously good or decent looking who can still convince you they're weird and minging. I think Tina Fey's just a weak actress. I honestly kind of wish someone else had played Liz Lemon, because Tina Fey is neither loveable or cringey enough to be entertaining. I don't think I've ever particularly enjoyed her in anything

olliebean

"We're not so different, you and I."

neveragain

"Is this a joke?"
"Do you see me laughing?"

Well, normally you wouldn't laugh while telling jokes unless you were really shit at it (or Frank Carson).

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: popcorn on August 18, 2020, 12:32:49 PM
In writing I dislike "former and latter" because they're inevitably used as ways to avoid repeating the names of whatever you're actually talking about. This makes it harder to read because you have to go back and check which one is which. It also fails to fix the real cause of repetition, which usually comes from poor sentence structure, not repeated words.
Another reason to hate everyone is that "former" and "latter" are only for referring to one of two alternatives; if distinguishing between three or more things you should use "first" or "last", but people still say "latter" for 3 or more things to try and sound sophisticated. Ban them.

Clownbaby

Quote from: popcorn on August 18, 2020, 12:32:49 PM
In writing I dislike "former and latter" because they're inevitably used as ways to avoid repeating the names of whatever you're actually talking about. This makes it harder to read because you have to go back and check which one is which. It also fails to fix the real cause of repetition, which usually comes from poor sentence structure, not repeated words.

I know generally people aren't trying to be awkward when they use former and latter but I can't help but read it as slightly difficult, because it feels a bit article-y rather than conversational. Always feels like ''I hereby refer you to what I just said mate'' That's probably me just being a fanny who can't remember the difference between former and latter though

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 18, 2020, 11:33:53 AM
Would like former and latter to fuck off because I don't know which one means first and which one means second.

Just think of Sisters of Mercy, (first and last always) and all will be revealed.

popcorn

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 19, 2020, 05:55:35 PM
I know generally people aren't trying to be awkward when they use former and latter but I can't help but read it as slightly difficult, because it feels a bit article-y rather than conversational.

Yep.

Of course writing is different from conversation, and people write differently from how they talk. But the point of writing - proper writing I mean, not just typing bollocks on forums - is that it's an opportunity to be better than speech. That doesn't mean using more useless words, it means being using fewer - being more precise, more clear, more useful. It's an opportunity to get all your words exactly right, in a way you can't in conversation.

But the temptation is to go the other way, to fill up your writing with weird pointless things no human being would ever say out loud, like "latter" or "former".

You can see the worst inclinations of this kind of shitty journalese all over YouTube on countless of nerdy essay videos, or on Wikipedia in articles about popular nerd subjects like video games and superhero movies.

They say "title" instead of "game" or "film" or "magazine", even though no one says "I bought a new title the other day" - it's pure journalese that does nothing but remove precision to absolutely no benefit except making you sound more like a YouTube essay guy.

They say "utilise" instead of "use", even though no one actually goes about utilising things in real life, ever.

They say "ultimately" at any given opportunity, as in "He ultimately decided to direct the movie", as if the director could have decided to direct the movie at some other less ultimate point of the decisionmaking process.

The most pointless word ever is "titular". As in, "In Batman Returns, the titular character fights Catwoman and the Penguin." As if you wouldn't have noticed that Batman was in the title of the movie if they hadn't said it. It just sort of feels like an exciting essayish sort of word.

Clownbaby

Oh do not get me started on ''titular''

magval

Quote from: popcorn on August 19, 2020, 06:55:40 PM
Yep.

Of course writing is different from conversation, and people write differently from how they talk. But the point of writing - proper writing I mean, not just typing bollocks on forums - is that it's an opportunity to be better than speech. That doesn't mean using more useless words, it means being using fewer - being more precise, more clear, more useful. It's an opportunity to get all your words exactly right, in a way you can't in conversation.

But the temptation is to go the other way, to fill up your writing with weird pointless things no human being would ever say out loud, like "latter" or "former".

You can see the worst inclinations of this kind of shitty journalese all over YouTube on countless of nerdy essay videos, or on Wikipedia in articles about popular nerd subjects like video games and superhero movies.

They say "title" instead of "game" or "film" or "magazine", even though no one says "I bought a new title the other day" - it's pure journalese that does nothing but remove precision to absolutely no benefit except making you sound more like a YouTube essay guy.

They say "utilise" instead of "use", even though no one actually goes about utilising things in real life, ever.

They say "ultimately" at any given opportunity, as in "He ultimately decided to direct the movie", as if the director could have decided to direct the movie at some other less ultimate point of the decisionmaking process.

The most pointless word ever is "titular". As in, "In Batman Returns, the titular character fights Catwoman and the Penguin." As if you wouldn't have noticed that Batman was in the title of the movie if they hadn't said it. It just sort of feels like an exciting essayish sort of word.

I agree with all of this and formally withdraw my use of the word 'former' earlier on the forum. I know it's hard to read sincerity on the internet, but this is what it looks like.

This type of exaggerated one-up speak does my fucking head in. If you've ever been unlucky enough to see any of the particular strain of reality TV that Bravo makes, you'll see everyone talking like this, out loud.

ProvanFan

I quite like utilising former and latter.

machotrouts

Who the fuck doesn't say "former" and "latter" out loud. Illiterate DOLTS. Deport

olliebean

The difference between the latter and the former is that the former is the latter and the latter is the former. All clear now?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on August 19, 2020, 10:03:09 PM
The difference between the latter and the former is that the former is the latter and the latter is the former. All clear now?

Fucking, check out Schooly D over here.

purlieu

Quote from: olliebean on August 18, 2020, 07:39:12 PM
"We're not so different, you and I."
It's almost a cliche to criticise this itself, but fucking hell I'm still seeing it all the time with just about every TV series I watch and so many films. How in God's name are people comfortable using it?

I use 'former' and 'latter' a lot because they work very well.

popcorn

Yeah the "not so different, you and I" or "you and me, we're the same" has been infuriating me for decades now, it feels like.

Quote from: purlieu on August 21, 2020, 09:48:03 PM
I use 'former' and 'latter' a lot because they work very well.

Example?

Andy147

That one's elegant variation.

popcorn

Quote from: Andy147 on August 22, 2020, 12:13:31 AM
That one's elegant variation.

Yes indeed. Former and latter are also examples of elegant variation.

Though I still see examples of "titular" that isn't even elegant variation. "In Yoshi's Island, the titular Yoshi must carry baby Mario" etc.

olliebean

I can't decide if it's marginally better or marginally worse than "eponymous."

BlodwynPig

Its fine, better than In Batman the Movie, Batman fights Catwoman.

Blumf

Quote from: olliebean on August 22, 2020, 08:57:57 AM

The latter.

Hand Solo

The anonymous Epstein abuse counselling service?

Brundle-Fly

The use of 'sophomore' in any album review used to grind my gears.

Sorry, back to film cliches.

dissolute ocelot

"Breakfast at Tiffany's with Audrey Hepburn eating the eponymous rolls." Unsure who said that.

Eponymous and titular suggest lack of imagination, or at least a desire to be serious and important and have no fun whatever. "Batman with Val Kilmer in the eponymous role" vs "...playing the caped crusader", "...taking over as the man-bat", "donning the most famous ears this side of Disneyland" etc etc etc. If you really don't want to say stuff like "caped crusader" you probably shouldn't be reviewing Batman. Also, in most cases you could say "lead" or "leading" with no ambiguity - in a Batman film it's not going to be anyone else.

Hand Solo

They've pretty much re-done Short Circuit but made it all dark and put that fucking Alien 1979 trailer alarm sound that Prometheus and a load of other things started to use about 10 years ago in the trailer.

Monsters Of Man

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 09:50:03 PM
They've pretty much re-done Short Circuit but made it all dark and put that fucking Alien 1979 trailer alarm sound that Prometheus and a load of other things started to use about 10 years ago in the trailer.

Monsters Of Man

Sci-Fi Robots Action Movie HD

JesusAndYourBush

Grenades will either work as intended, or when it suits the plot they'll not go off for a really long time allowing them to be thrown away just in time.