Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

Not only is there fuck all wrong with eponymous, it also looks and sounds lovely. I'm going to use it more. Get it up yies!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 09:50:03 PM
They've pretty much re-done Short Circuit but made it all dark and put that fucking Alien 1979 trailer alarm sound that Prometheus and a load of other things started to use about 10 years ago in the trailer.

Monsters Of Man

And why do all killer robots now have to have the same bass-baritone metallic timbre? I blame ED -209.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 09:50:03 PM
They've pretty much re-done Short Circuit but made it all dark and put that fucking Alien 1979 trailer alarm sound that Prometheus and a load of other things started to use about 10 years ago in the trailer.

Monsters Of Man

It's also got several other cliches packed into that trailer, the most obvious one being 'Stop it, you're scaring HER... You're scaring ME.'.

ProvanFan

beanheadmcginty

City type protagonists out hiking in the woods/driving through deep south encounter a friendly but clearly dodgy and potentially murderous local who they end up having a meal with. Dodgy weirdo prepares dinner in a disgusting manner, guts, sharp knives and buzzing flies everywhere.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 23, 2019, 04:58:12 PM
Any outdoor funeral scene in a crime movie always has to have the cops/detectives with suspicious expressions on their faces, standing twenty feet away at a respectable distance/ Or somebody who wasn't invited, hiding behind a tree.
Or the snooper-eye view of the proceedings, where every time a heavyset mourner shakes the hand of the most obviously import person attending, your hear a camera snap. You'll see a grainy black and white still of the handshake.
Then you'll hear something like, "Isn't that Jimmy the 'jokey term for physical appearance/slang term for a gangster-y occupation/something that alludes to mental instabilty' 'Irish/Italian/Jewish surname' ?"
The snoopers will notice that one of the mourners is out of place.

famethrowa

Big technofear room of CCTV screens and computers, the city traffic control centre. One by one the screens flicker and go out as the operators look round in disbelief.

(Just saw it on a Die Hard, but I guess it goes back to the Italian Job, maybe even further?)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: famethrowa on August 24, 2020, 12:08:05 AM
Big technofear room of CCTV screens and computers, the city traffic control centre. One by one the screens flicker and go out as the operators look round in disbelief.

(Just saw it on a Die Hard, but I guess it goes back to the Italian Job, maybe even further?)

Also security cameras with led's that give a visible indication as to when they're actively watching stuff, or worse they appear to be held up by a stalling motor (so they can droop downwards when they system is deactivated). Also very sophisticated systems that can detect a pin being thrown across their field of view but also seemingly no tamper detection or self-monitoring.

kalowski

Zooming in an image or enlarging a photo to get a crystal clear picture. I remember seeing it in Call Northside 777 where they zoom in to get a date - at that level of zoom there is no way the date would be anything other than a blurred mess.

Nowadays it's "Can you enhance the image?" "Let me try this..." [Click click click - clears up pixelated mess] "Look! It's him!"

Sebastian Cobb

greenman

Quote from: kalowski on August 24, 2020, 09:53:08 AM
Zooming in an image or enlarging a photo to get a crystal clear picture. I remember seeing it in Call Northside 777 where they zoom in to get a date - at that level of zoom there is no way the date would be anything other than a blurred mess.

Nowadays it's "Can you enhance the image?" "Let me try this..." [Click click click - clears up pixelated mess] "Look! It's him!"

Leon was actually a very careful photographer as well as a ammo loader, used a large format 3D camera to take pictures of Zhora, drumscanned them and then very high DPI prints.

idunnosomename

Quote from: kalowski on August 15, 2020, 10:33:17 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy has just reminded me of one I hate:
Song plays loud on the soundtrack, extra points for a catchy but now forgotten hit, character removes headphones for us to realise that he was listening to it!
that's called diegetic music btw, in that is part of the reality of the narrative

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diegetic_music

popcorn

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 24, 2020, 06:58:40 PM
that's called diegetic music btw, in that is part of the reality of the narrative

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diegetic_music

I think it's more specific than that, it's non-diegetic moving to diegetic music.

And sure enough it seems TV Tropes has it covered
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LeftTheBackgroundMusicOn

Icehaven

Not a single cliche as such but when someone's in peril they can never use the same method to save themselves more than once. If they're being chased or fighting or something they might use a particular manoeuvre or tactic or prop or whatever but even if it'd clearly be useful for them to use it again they don't, because they're in a film and that'd be boring.

AsparagusTrevor

Something that occurs in every Netflix documentary, the narrator will begin to introduce someone who did something significant or amazing, at which point it will cut to the person, an unassuming looking, awkward person doing something mildly eccentric, fiddling with their chair or microphone.

"The cat murderer was caught by... this office-chair sluth... " Cut to woman picking her ear and looking at her finger, the she wiggles her microphone and says "is this on?"

lipsink

The other thing they do on Netflix documentaries is it'll go silent and they'll have a new interviewee appear completely unannounced and take a seat, put on a mic and they're maybe asked if they want water and they'll be asked to say their name into the microphone. It's meant to mean that shit's about to get real.

magval

One that popped up for a while and then disappeared was baddies getting caught on purpose, round about 2012 or so. Dark Knight, Avengers and Skyfall all built their middle section around this happening. I'm sure there are other examples. I don't  want this to fuck off though, in fact, I like it - I think it's gooood.

Dex Sawash

Space thing begins with press conference and then an astronaut's kids sporting event, can be reversed.

lipsink

Quote from: magval on September 05, 2020, 07:21:43 AM
One that popped up for a while and then disappeared was baddies getting caught on purpose, round about 2012 or so. Dark Knight, Avengers and Skyfall all built their middle section around this happening. I'm sure there are other examples. I don't  want this to fuck off though, in fact, I like it - I think it's gooood.

"He planned to get caught!"

buzby

Quote from: greenman on August 24, 2020, 10:39:18 AM
Leon was actually a very careful photographer as well as a ammo loader, used a large format 3D camera to take pictures of Zhora, drumscanned them and then very high DPI prints.
Photos in the Blade Runner world are holographic (one of the things from the novel that made it into the film), which explains why the Esper was able to see round the corner using the light rays that were captured from the mirror. We see it in the childhood photo of Tyrell's niece with the tree shadows moving, and it was also reatured in the photo of the tree in the sequel too.

Quote from: kalowski on August 24, 2020, 09:53:08 AM

Community did a pretty good take - https://youtu.be/Mzp8uVCwiGI

lipsink

I dunno if it's a Bond movie cliche or maybe just an general action movie cliche.

Towards the end of the movie someone on the baddie's side will argue with the main baddie. It'll maybe be a businessman who suddenly realises he way out of his depth with this criminal stuff. He'll shout: "This has gone too far now! You're crazy! This is not what we agreed!" and the big baddie will kill him to show how ruthless he is.

Was used in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises also.

gilbertharding

Someone posted this on twitter:

QuoteEVERY GUY PITCHING HIS MOVIE IN 1997-2002: What if... there were multiple stories... and they INTERSECTED... but maybe CAME TOGETHER AT THE END?!?!?!?!

EVERY EXECUTIVE IN 1997-2002: Holy fucking shit dude

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1303501076478320641

Are non-linear timelines clichéd yet? Or have they fucked off already?

kalowski

Loads of people in a room are all talking and arguing at the same time. In the end a meek character shouts, "Alright, everybody just shut up," to get total silence.

lipsink

Dad who misses kid's sporting event/graduation/birthday party and wife tells him off.

Pink Gregory

Surprised that we've never seen the kid be like "he misses all of them, arsed mate, cake"

lipsink

"He/She's behind me, isn't he/she?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vECzPHbn0Bo

Although the Futurama subversion of it is really quite good.

olliebean

Any overhead shot featuring lots of people walking about with umbrellas, whilst the umbrella-less protagonist stands still in the middle getting wet.

Icehaven

Couple having a romantic stroll in New York with a bridge like this

in the background.

Another example of wrong video-game music, in the X-Files episode I'm watching. Specifically, the music from level one of Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive, supposedly blaring out of an arcade machine that Mulder and Scully were standing next to.