Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

This can happen in real life. My absolute favourite thing in Afllecks Bazaar in Manchester is their Mortal Kombat 2 arcade machine that plays Mortal Kombat 3

The 40 Year Old Virgin features two people using N64 controllers to perform fatalities on a PlayStation 2 Mortal Kombat game, while trading homophobic banter.

notjosh

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 09, 2020, 05:25:16 PM
Someone posted this on twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1303501076478320641

Are non-linear timelines clichéd yet? Or have they fucked off already?

Mara Wilson ain't someone mate.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 19, 2020, 12:47:15 PM
The 40 Year Old Virgin features two people using N64 controllers to perform fatalities on a PlayStation 2 Mortal Kombat game, while trading homophobic banter.

I'm sure I've seen Paul Rudd say in an interview that it was a deliberate attempt to get everything as wrong as possible.

I might have made that up, as I can't seem to find anything to confirm it.  Only articles about Seth Rogen bring apologetic about using gay as a derogatory term.

magval

Quote from: notjosh on September 20, 2020, 08:08:55 AM

Your reply has worried me a wee bit because I remember having the exact same reaction AND POSTING IT, except I didn't use italics, and might have wrote 'isn't' instead of 'ain't'.

And then I thought notjosh is maybe making fun of me, as has happened on these boards before (my legacy on CaB is the fucking Best of the Beatles popping up every so often).

But this isn't the case. I didn't post it, then you posted it for me.

You're fucking COOL, notjosh. Italics aside we could live in perfect ignorant harmony, but there's only room in the universe for the one of me so you'll have to fucking go if you stop slanting words for emphasis, thanks.

gilbertharding

In my defence, I'm 51 years old and have no children - therefore I've never seen Matilda or read the book, and as far as I my memory is concerned Robin Williams was the only person in Mrs Doubtfire (a film I'm not completely able to separate from Tootsie).

Also, I wrote the 'someone...' bit first, and just copied the text into my post. Only later did I decide to put a link to the tweet so that people could see for themselves how it panned out.

Anyway, sorry.

Icehaven

"The electricity switch/water stopcock/thing you really need is in the (unlit) basement."

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: icehaven on October 17, 2020, 11:21:28 PM
"The electricity switch/water stopcock/thing you really need is in the (unlit) basement."

But I'll let you mess around upstairs for 5 minutes first. Nobody's in a hurry.

lipsink

Person tries and fails to resuscitate someone. When they give up and start weeping the person magically comes back to life.

Ominous Dave

Has anyone mentioned the thing of scientists/mathematicians writing out equations on windows and/or mirrors? Which is clearly only done so the director can shoot a close-up of the actor's face at the same time.

(A Beautiful Mind and The Social Network both have particularly egregious examples of this. The latter made worse by the fact that Mark Zuckerberg can apparently hack into every US university's database but can't do an internet search for a very well-known equation that any school chess champion would probably know.)

oy vey

Quote from: Ominous Dave on October 18, 2020, 03:40:16 PM
Has anyone mentioned the thing of scientists/mathematicians writing out equations on windows and/or mirrors? Which is clearly only done so the director can shoot a close-up of the actor's face at the same time.

(A Beautiful Mind and The Social Network both have particularly egregious examples of this. The latter made worse by the fact that Mark Zuckerberg can apparently hack into every US university's database but can't do an internet search for a very well-known equation that any school chess champion would probably know.)

Good Will Hunting as well.

Dropshadow

St. Christopher medallions and crucifixes. Two characters, either family or friends, are talking prior to one of them leaving the other (usually in some kind of dangerous context) and one of them takes off their St. Christopher medallion or crucifix and hands it to the other, saying "This'll bring you luck" or explaining how it belonged to some other character and blah. That's a good 3 to 5 minutes of screentime gone. A Youtube compilation of these moments would be interesting, though boring.

oy vey

Jay and Silent Bob 2, Bill and Ted Face the Music and just now watched Borat 2. Long gap sequel where protagonists now have daughters in an attempt to inject new character arcs is officially a cliche. I look forward to the next David Brent movie where he has an estranged daughter who hates his guts only to change tack in the third act and joins him on stage for a Brent / Girl band mash up. Don't say I didn't warn you.

olliebean

A character "cracking" their neck like they would crack their knuckles (i.e., flexing it from side to side with a cracking sound).

Icehaven

Someone outlines a long, convoluted plan to achieve an aim, then someone else says "Or we could just..." and says one simple thing they could do instead.

AsparagusTrevor

Not actual films themselves, but film posters that contain an image that isn't a skull but looks like a skull. Here's a handful of examples:

Although the last one for The Descent, which is either a Dali homage or rip off, is admittedly pretty cool.

popcorn

^^ Ooh good one. That one's particularly annoying because you can arbitrarily bend any image into a skull, really. It has no great concept linking it to the subject matter. Why would someone arrange tapes to make the shape of a skull? To make a poster.

magval

Yeah like the Joker/knives shot in Suicide Squad. He's done it so the studio could put it in the trailer.

the

There's a Photoshop competition idea there, reworking existing/classic film posters so that they unnecessarily form a skull.

JaDanketies

Quote from: notjosh on September 20, 2020, 08:08:55 AM

That Tweet revealed to me that Mara 'Matilda' Wilson's cousin is none other than Ben Shapiro. I bet their family reunions are fun.

olliebean

Have I mentioned feet before? Anyway, if not: close-ups of feet. Unfortunately, since I noticed the prevalence of these, I've been unable to stop noticing.

JaDanketies

Quote from: olliebean on November 02, 2020, 07:35:57 PM
Have I mentioned feet before? Anyway, if not: close-ups of feet. Unfortunately, since I noticed the prevalence of these, I've been unable to stop noticing.

Aah, a Tarantino fan, I see.

olliebean

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 02, 2020, 07:44:38 PM
Aah, a Tarantino fan, I see.

They're all over the fucking place, not just Tarantino. Hollywood must be a hotbed of foot fetishism.

dissolute ocelot

To be fair, in recent years the aesthetics of the foot shot has moved from slowly panning up the legs of a lady in a short skirt, to just showing feet with no panning at all. Look at the feet! They tell a story on their own!

gilbertharding

Quote from: popcorn on November 02, 2020, 03:40:18 PM
^^ Ooh good one. That one's particularly annoying because you can arbitrarily bend any image into a skull, really. It has no great concept linking it to the subject matter. Why would someone arrange tapes to make the shape of a skull? To make a poster.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 03, 2020, 10:06:42 AM
To be fair, in recent years the aesthetics of the foot shot has moved from slowly panning up the legs of a lady in a short skirt, to just showing feet with no panning at all. Look at the feet! They tell a story on their own!

Every cunt wants to be on wikifeet

famethrowa

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 03, 2020, 10:06:42 AM

On TV, they're always stepping out of a car door. Ladies or chaps.

JaDanketies

It might be sacrilege, but I got a little tired of this plotline in the past:

Robin Williams is a quirky character in an institution filled with a bunch of old fuddie-duddies. Williams uses the power of laughter to help the clients who use the institution, but the rest of the staff have a problem with his new methods, and eventually he finds himself in trouble. However, the clients show such dramatic improvements that eventually, the staff accept they were wrong about Robin Williams, and the film ends with him getting lots of praise for his quirky and innovative ways.

Examples:

• Dead Poet's Society
  • Good Morning Vietnam
  • Patch Adams
  • Flubber

And some of his other classics almost have every Classic Robin Williams movie element, such as Mrs Doubtfire, Bicentennial Man, Hook, Good Will Hunting. Robin Williams is a Messiah-like figure who fixes things through the power of his quirky and offbeat charm.

neveragain

Somehow I think that particular trope has already fucked off.

Spiteface

Women getting into taxis and the driver's face is blurred.

Hate that.