Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Quote from: neveragain on November 25, 2020, 01:09:30 PM
Brilliantly parodied in They Came Together. Every few scenes it's "Oh and [character's name]..." "Yeah?" "...Thanks."

And in Arrested Development.

'Marta...'
(TURNS AROUND) 'Yes?'
'No...I was just saying...I have nothing.'

kalowski

Quote from: mr. logic on November 26, 2020, 07:45:48 AM
And in Arrested Development.

'Marta...'
(TURNS AROUND) 'Yes?'
'No...I was just saying...I have nothing.'
For some reason that's reminded me of the gag in the TV series if Wayne's World on SNL.
"I like my coffee like I like my women: white, with two sugars."
"What does that mean?"
"I don't know."

paruses

Quote from: lipsink on November 24, 2020, 05:58:29 PM
I did quite enjoy the subversion of the 'Russian roulette' interrogation scene in 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' where
Spoiler alert
the character kills the criminal he's interrogating with the first time he pulls the trigger.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Isn't that because of his extremely poor grasp of statistics?
[close]
That is a really funny film [Kiss Kiss Bang Bang  - sorry this is from 2 pages back] I've seen a few times but never understood the plot as I fall asleep 10 mins from the end every time. I love the bit where he tries to search underwater by trying to part the surface.

Anyway - could have been mentioned in 78 pages but people cooking horrible food. It's usually to either while trying to reconcile or get to know the other person better. Person A invites Person B over. Cooks something that's not just not amazing but is inedible. B takes one mouthful then A says "it's bad, right"? and B spits it out and they bin the lot.

Who cooks food that badly?

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on November 27, 2020, 11:35:27 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
That is a really funny film [Kiss Kiss Bang Bang  - sorry this is from 2 pages back] I've seen a few times but never understood the plot as I fall asleep 10 mins from the end every time. I love the bit where he tries to search underwater by trying to part the surface.

Anyway - could have been mentioned in 78 pages but people cooking horrible food. It's usually to either while trying to reconcile or get to know the other person better. Person A invites Person B over. Cooks something that's not just not amazing but is inedible. B takes one mouthful then A says "it's bad, right"? and B spits it out and they bin the lot.

Who cooks food that badly?

Mericans. They eat cheese from tubes you know.

olliebean

(May have been mentioned before) The long zoom out from a character looking out of a window on a spacecraft. Had this in both the last two episodes of ST:D.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on November 28, 2020, 12:18:15 PM
(May have been mentioned before) The long zoom out from a character looking out of a window on a spacecraft. Had this in both the last two episodes of ST:D.

That was the entire twist in some film I watched on Netflix a while back.

lipsink

Character has an old beef with another character and they don't get on. The other character ends up rescuing the character at the end and all is forgiven.

The Culture Bunker

Spoiler alert
[close]
Yes, he thought there was an 8% chance of it going wrong, much to Gay Perry's frustration.

paruses

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2020, 05:23:54 AM
That was the entire twist in some film I watched on Netflix a while back.

Last time I remember it it was in The Colony - the prison where the aliens take people to work in a big space factory. Thinking about it it's a needlessly complicated place to imprison them and the only reason would be so  the camera can zoom out.

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on December 01, 2020, 01:11:54 AM
Last time I remember it it was in The Colony - the prison where the aliens take people to work in a big space factory. Thinking about it it's a needlessly complicated place to imprison them and the only reason would be so  the camera can zoom out.

The one I'm thinking of has three teenagers (or young people anyway) who are being kept in a prison type place but they don't know why or where they are. I can't remember most of the film but the very last shot is that zoom when one of them (possibly the last surviving one?) gets to a window and realises they're on an enormous ship in space. There might have been a scene where they think they can see fields and trees but it just turns out to be a giant screen.

Starlit

Mid level employee uncovers evidence of a crime or corruption and goes to their boss.
Everything about the boss' manner suggests that they're going to bury it and they want the employee to drop any further investigation.
Employee fumes and badmouths boss to all and sundry.
Final scene has boss getting the criminal arrested which they intended to do all along whilst behaving as though they won't.

famethrowa

Quote from: icehaven on December 01, 2020, 11:48:27 AM
The one I'm thinking of has three teenagers (or young people anyway) who are being kept in a prison type place but they don't know why or where they are. I can't remember most of the film but the very last shot is that zoom when one of them (possibly the last surviving one?) gets to a window and realises they're on an enormous ship in space. There might have been a scene where they think they can see fields and trees but it just turns out to be a giant screen.

Ahhh it's all just a ripoff of Sapphire and Steel innit?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Starlit on December 01, 2020, 11:30:03 PM
Mid level employee uncovers evidence of a crime or corruption and goes to their boss.
Everything about the boss' manner suggests that they're going to bury it and they want the employee to drop any further investigation.
Employee fumes and badmouths boss to all and sundry.
Final scene has boss getting the criminal arrested which they intended to do all along whilst behaving as though they won't.

and it's opposite, where the boss is trusted but turns out too be the big baddie c.f. LA Confidential.

gilbertharding

Quote from: icehaven on December 01, 2020, 11:48:27 AM

There's a Ballard short story where that happens (or something like it). Thirteen to Centaurus?

*fake edit*
Spoiler alert
Apparently that's the reverse: They think they're on a spaceship, and have been for generations, but they never left earth.
[close]

There's a little song I sing whenever this happens in a horror film.

Cutting the veggies
knife
faaaaaaace
cutting the veggies
knife
face
knife

Cutting the veggies
knife
faaaaaaace
Cutting the veggies
fingers off!

You looked into the middle distance
now your fingeeeeers
are in with the dishes

Cutting the veggies
knife
faaaaaaace
Cutting the veggies
fingers off!

78 pages in, we've probably had that loads of times.

Time to start the "Film cliches you want to fuck off" thread cliches you want to fuck off thread?

I recommended some film to someone on another forum and he came back going "oof, that bit the knife and fingers!" like he'd never seen anything like it before.
Bizarre.

Mobius

Quote from: lipsink on November 30, 2020, 09:25:48 AM
Character has an old beef with another character and they don't get on. The other character ends up rescuing the character at the end and all is forgiven.

watched this the other day

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8737608/

Sam Neill lives NEXT DOOR to his brother in the wilderness, but they haven't spoken for decades. By the end of the movie they're best mates, but not before a fakeout death for Sam Neill

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 03, 2020, 03:41:44 PM
There's a Ballard short story where that happens (or something like it). Thirteen to Centaurus?

*fake edit*
Spoiler alert
Apparently that's the reverse: They think they're on a spaceship, and have been for generations, but they never left earth.
[close]

I've seen a film like that recently too!
Spoiler alert
A girl thinks she's in an pod flying through space to Mars or somewhere. She's alone, and the only contact with anything she has is through the onboard computer. I forget exactly what happens but I think the computer fails so she somehow ends up getting out and realises she's just in an underground bunker on Earth.
[close]

Edit; It was called Orbiter 9,
Spoiler alert
and I'd misremembered quite a lot. She's been in the pod her whole life and has no idea she's part of an experiment, and there's other pods too. A technician has to come and fix something and obviously she thinks he's come through space but he's just come down in a lift. He has to stay for a while to maintain the illusion that he's travelled for days, so obviously they end up going at it and he catches feelings, tells her what's really going on and helps her escape.
[close]

greencalx

A sort of opposite to this is the Good Food Reaction Shot whereby the food apparently has no smell or any taste until it's been rolled around the mouth without expression for a few seconds before the masticator nods, smiles and says "gooooooooood".

Cuellar

I wish all eating in films would fuck off to be honest. No need for it.

lipsink

The one where an action hero is shooting all the baddies and starts shouting "ARGGGHHHHH!!!!" as he shoots. Think Rambo is the most famous example of this.

Blumf

Quote from: lipsink on December 06, 2020, 06:54:42 PM
The one where an action hero is shooting all the baddies and starts shouting "ARGGGHHHHH!!!!" as he shoots. Think Rambo is the most famous example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WmI_98-iM0

Sonny_Jim

There's an advert at the moment for some series which opens with two characters in a car driving quickly.  Every line of dialogue is a cliche:

"Where are we going?"
"Just drive"
"What's going on?"
"We've picked up a tail"
"Tell me!"
"We haven't got time!"
etc etc

Pisses me right off.

oy vey

Quote from: lipsink on December 06, 2020, 06:54:42 PM

https://youtu.be/7OCKDEdtWys

https://youtu.be/vUO0YjF9jWA

Marner and Me

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 07, 2020, 08:25:11 AM
There's an advert at the moment for some series which opens with two characters in a car driving quickly.  Every line of dialogue is a cliche:

"Where are we going?"
"Just drive"
"What's going on?"
"We've picked up a tail"
"Tell me!"
"We haven't got time!"
etc etc
Pisses me right off.

"Are we nearly there yet?'
"Can I have a sweet?"

Fr.Bigley

"You're not like other people"- Then they become a murderer/tortured genius/vampire/whatever

Jerzy Bondov

Have we done "you're gonna wanna hear this" yet?

gilbertharding

What's with the idea that by bunging some towels under the door and turning all the taps on, you can flood a bathroom up to the ceiling? As seen in the films (off the top of my head) Paddington, and The Shape of Water...

famethrowa

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 10, 2020, 10:46:45 AM
Have we done "you're gonna wanna hear this" yet?

How about this one, not only a cliche but stupid too: the chief is watching video of the horrible crime being perpetrated (or the villain gloating) and exclaims "turn it off, I've seen enough!"

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 13, 2020, 09:51:31 AM
What's with the idea that by bunging some towels under the door and turning all the taps on, you can flood a bathroom up to the ceiling? As seen in the films (off the top of my head) Paddington, and The Shape of Water...

Rubber towels

Icehaven

Mostly a comedy thing but someone going to look at a baby (which we can't see) and recoiling because it's hideous, then trying to cover up their initial reaction with something like "WOW. He's, he's really....special, isn't he?"