Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

In films where a character is about to say something but they never do and we never find out what it was they were going to say.

"Y'know..."
"What?"
"Nothing."

jamiefairlie

Quote from: lipsink on January 12, 2021, 10:45:16 PM
In films where a character is about to say something but they never do and we never find out what it was they were going to say.

"Y'know..."
"What?"
"Nothing."

and if they'd just said it the whole bloody nonsense they're about to get into could have been avoided altogether.

olliebean

Also: "I'll tell you later," or "You have to come and see for yourself," or any variant where the only reason not to tell the other character the information now is because the writers don't want the audience to know it yet. If the audience shouldn't know about something yet, don't explicitly flag up the fact that the characters are avoiding talking about it for no good reason.

the midnight watch baboon

Maybe it's been posted but... character backs away at the end of a taut conversation  . . . into a road! They get run over, and progress the plot!

I mean it's quite effective and pleasingly violent but it's getting a bit stale.

Brundle-Fly

I've probably mentioned this cliche on this thread years ago but it happened so much in this movie last night that i have to shout fuck off again.

A villainous character in a full face mask or a creature with no eyes must silently cock their head to one side in a sinister, quizzical manner.

bgmnts

I think we need to stop going on TVTropes.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 13, 2021, 02:16:26 PM
I've probably mentioned this cliche on this thread years ago but it happened so much in this movie last night that i have to shout fuck off again.

A villainous character in a full face mask or a creature with no eyes must silently cock their head to one side in a sinister, quizzical manner.

Yes, I'm sick of this too. I don't know when this became a cliche. I think Michael Myers does it once or twice in the original Halloween, but I seem to remember it being discussed on a documentary or commentary about it being a choice made by the actor, arguably the first time, and that it was based on the movement of a bird or child (as Myers is meant to be developmentally regressed).

I also remember WWE wrestler Kane citing Myers as an inspiration for him doing the same thing, so at least in 1997 it was uncommon enough for a pro wrestler to be aware of it as something that deserved crediting.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A character witnesses something upsetting, or receives some bad news. They walk along in a daze for a while, before suddenly puking. Is this one even physically possible?

Quote from: lipsink on December 26, 2020, 11:17:52 PM
I think Zooey Deschanel in Elf (2003) just predates both Garden State (2004) and Elizabethtown (2005). Also, Kate Winslet in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (2004).
I don't think Deschanel in Elf counts as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. If anything, it's the reverse of the MPDG situation, with Ferrell's manic pixie elf dream guy bringing her out of her cynical shell.

lipsink

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on January 13, 2021, 11:43:20 AM
Maybe it's been posted but... character backs away at the end of a taut conversation  . . . into a road! They get run over, and progress the plot!

I mean it's quite effective and pleasingly violent but it's getting a bit stale.

Bonus point if they shout "Drop Dead!" just before.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 13, 2021, 04:46:08 PM
A character witnesses something upsetting, or receives some bad news. They walk along in a daze for a while, before suddenly puking. Is this one even physically possible?

I reckon it might be - the day Primark burned down in Belfast, I spent my lunch break walking around town marveling at the colours in the sky as falling ash made tiny fires on the hairs on my arms.

When I got back to the office, feelin' fine, I took a few steps indoors and threw up without any warning whatsoever. I didn't feel unwell until the moment it left my mouth. I imagine in an actual traumatic situation what you've described could easily happen. Trauma takes forms mental as well as physical like.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 13, 2021, 02:35:28 PM
Yes, I'm sick of this too. I don't know when this became a cliche. I think Michael Myers does it once or twice in the original Halloween, but I seem to remember it being discussed on a documentary or commentary about it being a choice made by the actor, arguably the first time, and that it was based on the movement of a bird or child (as Myers is meant to be developmentally regressed).

I also remember WWE wrestler Kane citing Myers as an inspiration for him doing the same thing, so at least in 1997 it was uncommon enough for a pro wrestler to be aware of it as something that deserved crediting.

That's interesting RE Halloween. I suppose that was the first time I'd seen that move.

The head cocked to one side without a mask can also be a useful default pose for a London gangster.

lipsink

It's a good way for an actor to express some sort of "intrigued" emotion while they're wearing a mask. Doesn't Heath Ledger do it when he's wearing a mask at the start of 'The Dark Knight'?

olliebean

The hero has a meeting with an apparently helpful character. As soon as the hero leaves, the character picks up the phone and calls the villain of the piece, who it turns out they're in cahoots with.

Fambo Number Mive

Several incredibly obnoxious people a have to work together. It does become a little wearing having to watch really obnoxious characters for a large part of a film when they don't get a comeuppance but slowly become less obnoxious.

I found all the four main characters in Zombieland very obnoxious and unpleasant to watch, for example, it was an interesting film but I just didn't enjoy being with them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 16, 2021, 09:28:19 AM
Several incredibly obnoxious people a have to work together. It does become a little wearing having to watch really obnoxious characters for a large part of a film when they don't get a comeuppance but slowly become less obnoxious.

I found all the four main characters in Zombieland very obnoxious and unpleasant to watch, for example, it was an interesting film but I just didn't enjoy being with them.

Try watching Entourage some time, or rather don't!  I had heard good things about it, so I purchased season 1 on DVD.  I made it two episodes in and then gave up, selling it to CEX for a fraction of the price I'd paid originally.  I have never before or since seen some loathsome "protagonists" in any film or TV show.  I tired watching the commentary track for the first episode before selling the DVD, just in case I was missing some satirical element and these characters were supposed to be despicable cunts but no; the producer harped on about how the key to the show was the likable characters and how we can all relate to them.  No, fuckhead.  Maybe you can relate to these arseholes, but I sure as hell can't because I'm not an utterly worthless, vapid cunt like you.  I kid you not, this series is Legend Gary: The Show, presented to the audience without so much as a hint of irony.

Mark Kermode had a fantastic rant about the movie version.  Usually I find myself disagreeing with Kermode but in this case, he was absolutely spot fucking on.

St_Eddie

You know what?  I'm not done yet; I want to empathise that the only other time that I've seen a movie or TV show which made me hate it as much as I hated Entourage was Epic Movie (a strong contender for the worst movie which I've ever seen).  It's something which I watched and came away from feeling deeply depressed and alienated.  It left me with a feeling of "is what people are? Is this considered normal? If so, then what the fuck am I?!".  I genuinely was made to feel as though I'm not even a part of the human race.  It's that fucking bad.  Seriously, fuck Entourage and fuck anyone who likes it.  If you like Entourage then you can fuck right off.  There's no "it's individual subject taste" in this instance.  If you like this show, then you are a horrible, vapid, empty, soulless person and you are everything wrong with this world.  It's truly egregious.  It's the kind of show one would put on whilst slitting their own wrists.  That's not hyperbole.  I absolutely mean it 100%.  It's fucking abhorrent in what it is and everything which it represents.

Brundle-Fly

"I've got the governers/ the chief/ their attorney/ the press/ the townspeople/ the fucking mayor on my back.  If I don't get fast results, and I mean, fast, then, I'm shutting down this whole investigation/ unit/ assigning a new team to clean up this mess/ taking you off the case (you look like you need a vacation, effective immediately / to spend some time with your estranged son)"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My sister likes Entourage. Lord knows why, but it's certainly not because she's a crappy person.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 16, 2021, 02:59:06 PM
"I've got the governers/ the chief/ their attorney/ the press/ the townspeople/ the fucking mayor on my back...
https://youtu.be/zlHV1gukc8M

sutin

I liked Entourage. I imagine it hasn't aged well (I haven't rewatched in years) but it was a stupid, good time and felt like an accurate portrayal of Hollywood. Granted the characters weren't particularly likable (except Johnny Drama).

Nobody Soup

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on January 13, 2021, 11:43:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmYrWXhFf4c

greencalx

People who have only just met telepathically arranging a date.

For example, following a clumsy exchange one of them says, "Do you want to go for some coffee / pizza / bumsex sometime?" The other replies positively, or maybe just smiles, and in one or two scenes time they'll be there having coffee / pizza / bumsex. Takes me right out of it.

Icehaven

Someone stealing/using a car that isn't theirs finding the keys in the fold up sun visor over the driver's seat. I can't believe anyone really does this as you'd either have to leave the car unlocked or be locked out, and it's asking for it to be stolen. Even if it's supposed to be spares it's a stupid place to keep them for the same reasons. Does anyone on earth actually do this?

Blumf

I've known some people running their car bangernomics style, having it on just third-party insurance (i.e. no theft cover), and not bothering to lock it. Nobody ever did nick it, and even if they did, just a few hundred quid to replace. Cheaper than fixing any damage if the crim broke in to it.

Thought they were daft, as it's still hassle to replace even if it's cheap. They didn't leave the key in it though.

notjosh

First gun lesson:
"Squeeze the trigger, don't pull it."

olliebean

Someone turning up with a massive pile of enormous takeaway pizzas. (See also: people sitting around a coffee table eating takeaway noodles with chopsticks straight out of the boxes.)

Marner and Me

Quote from: notjosh on January 19, 2021, 08:26:52 AM
First gun lesson:
"Squeeze the trigger, don't pull it."
They're right though.