Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

I hate that thing they do in literally every film featuring a big monster/dinosaur/giant gorilla etc where they're introduced by stepping into frame (usually no music), stopping, and roaring really loudly while people look up in shock. I don't think real life similar creatures ever do that.

For instance

Magnum Valentino

Fucking hate that one too. Every monster does it now, games and everything. Even Hulk does it, I think.

Another cliche - guy turning away and smiling just before a fight as if he's not going to bother before trying to surprise his opponent with a smack. Kano does it in Mortal Kombat and it's really common in wrestling programmes too

oy vey

^
That's a fucking irritant as well. Especially the one where the antagonist, in a debate/argument/verbal stand-off, lets rip with a scathing string of insults. Guy turns away and smiles before rage response.

BlodwynPig

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 22, 2021, 07:56:30 PM
Fucking hate that one too. Every monster does it now, games and everything. Even Hulk does it, I think.

Yeah, I was watching Ragnarok and the bit where Hulk comes into the coliseum thing, and I thought "he's going to do the roar isn't he?", and sure enough...

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 22, 2021, 09:26:45 PM
Yeah, I was watching Ragnarok and the bit where Hulk comes into the coliseum thing, and I thought "he's going to do the roar isn't he?", and sure enough...
In some mitigation, Hulk there presumably has a feel of showmanship from being a long-standing champion. Bit like another Hulk - Hogan - ripping off his shirt after he gets to the ring.

notjosh

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 22, 2021, 06:59:31 PM
I hate that thing they do in literally every film featuring a big monster/dinosaur/giant gorilla etc where they're introduced by stepping into frame (usually no music), stopping, and roaring really loudly while people look up in shock. I don't think real life similar creatures ever do that.

For instance

Watched a Chris Packham documentary about T-Rexes the other day and he reckoned that they never roared at all but just made an eery, low-frequency cooing sound like an ostrich.

Sonny_Jim

lipsink

One in films where a character is standing chatting to other characters. The other characters suddenly stop smiling and look worried. The character goes "What?"
"Don't...move..."

There's a big monster behind them or they've stepped on a trap etc.

Brundle-Fly

When a bad character realises they're about to immediately get killed and just world wearily respond with "Oh crap" or a mildly defeated "Bollocks.

The most realistic response I've ever seen in a film was when the hitman is about to get shot by Michael Caine in Get Carter (1971) and he just lets out a terrified squeal of "DON'T!"

lipsink

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 23, 2021, 12:51:33 PM
When a bad character realises they're about to immediately get killed and just world wearily respond with "Oh crap" or a mildly defeated "Bollocks.

The most realistic response I've ever seen in a film was when the hitman is about to get shot by Michael Caine in Get Carter (1971) and he just lets out a terrified squeal of "DON'T!"

Yeah, that's a good one. Also reminds me of "DON'T" a character says in 'Married In The Mob' just before he gets shot in the head. That always stuck with me as quite realistic.

Also if someone is about to swear just as they get killed: "Oh, sh...."

mothman

Joe Pesci in Goodfellas? He only really has time to register that his moment of triumph is about to evaporate, triumphalism barely has time to turn to disappointment and then he's dead before the shock or fear can even kick in.

frajer

Quote from: mothman on April 23, 2021, 02:05:31 PM
Joe Pesci in Goodfellas? He only really has time to register that his moment of triumph is about to evaporate, triumphalism barely has time to turn to disappointment and then he's dead before the shock or fear can even kick in.

Top one. Even though he's a psycho piece of shit, I always feel sorry for him in that split-second he realises.

Magnum Valentino

I absolutely love Batista in Spectre but his appearance is spoiled by that last-second comedy moment of going 'shit' before he's yanked off the train despite being entirely silent up to that point.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 23, 2021, 02:18:12 PM
I absolutely love Batista in Spectre but his appearance is spoiled by that last-second comedy moment of going 'shit' before he's yanked off the train despite being entirely silent up to that point.

It was a Moonraker "Here's to us" moment? Thousands of kids in cinemas across the UK in 1979 cried a resounding 'Oh nooo'.

St_Eddie

When a bad character realises they're about to immediately get killed and just world wearily respond with "Oh crap" or a mildly defeated "Bollocks."

The trope was brilliantly subverted in Waterworld.

Fr.Bigley

Or what about when someone asks a direct question, then instead of an answer, they get a snappy reprise that directly references the original question..

"I want the truth"

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

Et cetera.

kalowski

Quote from: mothman on April 23, 2021, 02:05:31 PM
That's a great moment.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on April 22, 2021, 09:00:02 AM
No, that's donkeys and posh people.

That's more or less it, thanks. I wouldn't have described it as snorting because I thought the lips were involved as well, but I don't know.

I think most animals can't breathe through their mouth because they aren't plumbed correctly/designed intelligently. Not willing to start a 60-pager over that, could be wrong like a big wrongo wrongo.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 22, 2021, 10:19:09 PM
In some mitigation, Hulk there presumably has a feel of showmanship from being a long-standing champion. Bit like another Hulk - Hogan - ripping off his shirt after he gets to the ring.
It's also, arguably, the daftest, most comic book-y comic book film in recent years. I'd be disappointed if he didn't do that.

But yes, monsters using That Roar in general.

I'm fine with big monsters doing the roar like a video game boss announcing itself. I'd rather they embrace the campiness a bit, cos it's almost never possible to take that type of film seriously.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 23, 2021, 09:59:54 PM
I'm fine with big monsters doing the roar like a video game boss announcing itself. I'd rather they embrace the campiness a bit, cos it's almost never possible to take that type of film seriously.

Goro does it in the new Mortal Kombat film so that's nice innit Andrew?

Icehaven

Have we had starting a film with a quote, in small white writing on a black background? We must have had that already.

mothman

See also: the opening titles for just about every Woody Allen film. Usually with an old-fashioned jazz track playing in the soundtrack.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: icehaven on April 29, 2021, 08:56:03 PM
Have we had starting a film with a quote, in small white writing on a black background? We must have had that already.
Movies starting with a dictionary definition is another variant. Sometimes used to convey information, but with Pulp Fiction it just seems an attempt to explain the title to idiots. Although, Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar opens with a dictionary definition of culottes, which is useful.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on April 29, 2021, 08:56:03 PM

There must be some editing software whose default template is thin white text with a white box going around it at the moment because I've seen it in all sorts of stuff.

This sort of thing:

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 29, 2021, 10:01:10 PM
Movies starting with a dictionary definition is another variant. Sometimes used to convey information, but with Pulp Fiction it just seems an attempt to explain the title to idiots. Although, Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar opens with a dictionary definition of culottes, which is useful.

Or someone quipping on a definition, like something Oscar Wilde would say but not Oscar because that'd be too obvious.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 29, 2021, 11:03:24 PM
There must be some editing software whose default template is thin white text with a white box going around it at the moment because I've seen it in all sorts of stuff.

This sort of thing:

That bloody Breaking Bad steal in the corner, as well.

Jerzy Bondov

That's the icon for Adobe Premiere

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah searching for it yielded that, so I guess that clears up the 'some piece of editing software' bit.