Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 09, 2021, 03:22:30 PM
Weddings that go wrong. Births that go wrong. If you watch any soap opera, there will never be a birth or a marriage that goes off without problems.

Spider-Man's did!

AsparagusTrevor

When character are recalling dialogue they heard, remembering in their heads rather than speaking to someone else, the dialogue will usually echo in a strange way.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 09, 2021, 06:03:21 PM
When character are recalling dialogue they heard, remembering in their heads rather than speaking to someone else, the dialogue will usually echo in a strange way.

Dental plan. Lisa needs braces.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: olliebean on September 09, 2021, 03:56:16 PM
Which soap opera was that in?

Which thread are YOU in? The fucking soap opera cliches thread, is it?

Magnum Valentino

A shot of someone driving a car as seen from the passenger seat will likely precede a crash.

olliebean

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 10, 2021, 09:00:53 AM
Which thread are YOU in? The fucking soap opera cliches thread, is it?

Look at the post you were replying to. "If you watch any soap opera, there will never be a birth or a marriage that goes off without problems." Your reply: "Spider-man's did." I just wondered which soap opera you were watching that had Spider-man's birth or marriage in it. I guess it was just that you didn't properly read the post before replying to it, though.

Magnum Valentino

Respectfully stepping away from this one.

Sebastian Cobb

Loved it when spiderman turned up neighbours and started hectoring Paul Robinson.

olliebean

Wasn't it the short-lived Eldorado that famously had a Spider-man hidden somewhere in every episode?

Magnum Valentino

Sorry olliebean but you've taken my swearing too seriously which is a risk posting on messageboards (although I thought the bolding would help underline my cod fury).

All in jest.

olliebean

Don't give up so easily. I know we can make our Spider-man soap opera happen if we put our minds to it.

AsparagusTrevor

famethrowa

Cutaway to a "bar" full of oafs and fans, possibly waving flags, all watching and cheering at one tiny TV mounted high on the wall.

kalowski

Quote from: famethrowa on September 14, 2021, 05:31:38 AM
Cutaway to a "bar" full of oafs and fans, possibly waving flags, all watching and cheering at one tiny TV mounted high on the wall.
Main character comes in. "Put on channel 2." Switches over with perfect timing to get the exact news report needed. Guys in bar: "Hey! We were watching the football."

Brundle-Fly

Two grumpy hillbillies in sleeveless denim waistcoats playing pool in the background.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 14, 2021, 03:31:01 PM
Two grumpy hillbillies in sleeveless denim waistcoats playing pool in the background.

Or one of them in charge of a gas station away from a built-up area.

gilbertharding

Quote from: kalowski on September 14, 2021, 06:20:08 AM
Main character comes in. "Put on channel 2." Switches over with perfect timing to get the exact news report needed. Guys in bar: "Hey! We were watching the football."

Basically happened in NotAFilm Vigil the other week.

Isn't it a well known problem in films that it is always, no matter how well they do it, completely obvious that the news report they're watching isn't real? Even when they use actual reporters, or actors but with the actual news channel production facilities. Something about the writing? Would it be better if the people who write the scripts for the actual news were allowed to write that bit of the film/show?

Magnum Valentino

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 28, 2021, 05:56:42 PM
"Storm's coming..."

More should feature the TV stations reverting to their emergency broadcast systems though.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 28, 2021, 05:56:42 PM
"Storm's coming..."

Hey everybody, there's a shitstorm coming.

Still Randy Quaid's finest line.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on October 05, 2021, 11:19:53 PM
Hey everybody, there's a shitstorm coming.

Still Randy Quaid's finest line.

CLOUD! A SHIT CLOUD!

Brundle-Fly

Scenes set in a pole/ lap dancing/ strip club. All. The. Fucking. Time. Mainly in U.S. TV crime series but they're virtually films now, aren't they?  Is it a The Sopranos thing? I've not seen this series but heard a lot of the action takes place in tiddy joints.

As soon as I hear any character say, "He'll probably be at The Rio/ Fantasy bar/ Jasmine's" etc  followed by thumping club music, dark blue light, and a close up of a sweaty man looking up with glee, my heart sinks as my girlfriend always gets the hump and says 'You're obviously loving this.' as if I was somehow responsible for the screenplay.

gilbertharding

We watched The Graduate at the weekend, with that scene.

"You're missing a great effect here!"

Blumf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 06, 2021, 04:36:53 PM
As soon as I hear any character say, "He'll probably be at The Rio/ Fantasy bar/ Jasmine's" etc  followed by thumping club music, dark blue light, and a close up of a sweaty man looking up with glee, my heart sinks as my girlfriend always gets the hump and says 'You're obviously loving this.' as if I was somehow responsible for the screenplay.

You are David Chase and I claim my five pounds!

You see strip shows a lot in old 1950s films too. They don't get their bits out or anything, but you can really see where the 'male gaze' criticisms come from, completely unneeded for the plot.

Also in old 50s films, women changing clothes all the time.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Blumf on October 06, 2021, 05:02:17 PM
You are David Chase and I claim my five pounds!

You see strip shows a lot in old 1950s films too. They don't get their bits out or anything, but you can really see where the 'male gaze' criticisms come from, completely unneeded for the plot.

Also in old 50s films, women changing clothes all the time.

Sex sells. Always has done, always w...(SNIP! - Ed)

kalowski

Not so much cliché, but I hate the way American films have someone using a shit TV remote control that is one big button on a massive controller that just cycles through the channels. Even now.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: kalowski on October 21, 2021, 09:24:38 PM
Not so much cliché, but I hate the way American films have someone using a shit TV remote control that is one big button on a massive controller that just cycles through the channels. Even now.
"Alexa, show me the latest killer dinosaur news!"

Dr Rock

Any time someone misusues the sprinklers, usually by holding something burning next to the sensors, and it causes chaos.

fake edit - Turns out it's a recognised trope already
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TelepathicSprinklers

They don't work like that.

There's probably tons of examples of where the sprinklers should've gone off but didn't.