Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

It would be great to see someone attempt to do that in a modern film and it just filled the room with CO2 and the character suffocated to death.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A character that is part of some persecuted minority hides this fact from a new group of friends. Eventually it is revealed and the new friends shun them - not because they are bigots, but because they are offended by the deception.

I can't think of a single example of this in which the shunners aren't given the moral high ground, no matter how justified the minority character's fears are. Extra shit points if they're members of the dominant group that does all the oppressing, but assuming they are bigots because of that is treated as equal intolerance to that which the minority character faces.

paruses

When someone is waiting at the level crossing in their car and a big monster truck with all headlights revs up behind and then shunts them onto the track as a way of killing them - why does the person always put their car into reverse and try to stand their ground rather than just driving forwards and fucking off?

Almost 100 pages in - probably been mentioned.

Reading the Star Trek Discovery thread has reminded me of a design cliché in science fiction: having technology look futuristic by making it out of separate bits that just float around each other, connected by 'energy'. It's futuristic, but it's also boring and unimaginative.
I don't want everything to go to the opposite extreme of Michael Bay's Transformers designs, but put some effort in.

mothman

That would be a bit of a blow for any adaptation of the Culture novels, which featured independent components - such as in the System-class General Systems Vehicle.

Back to the seventies...

Young sexually-inexperienced lad goes into the chemist for his condoms because he thinks tonight's going to be the night him and his mate finally get to seal the deal.
Pretty young girl behind the counter: "Can I help you?"
"Errm...I...errrm..."
"Well?"
"Errr..."

Cut to him coming out with a bottle of Lucozade.

Mate:  "You great nit".

Baddies making someone get in dig their own grave. I know some people will put up with a lot of shit to avoid direct confrontation, but if you're about to get murdered anyway, why would you make it easy for them?

mothman

Denial? Prolonging it as long as possible, trying to cling on to some sort of life?

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 27, 2021, 12:54:18 PMBaddies making someone get in dig their own grave. I know some people will put up with a lot of shit to avoid direct confrontation, but if you're about to get murdered anyway, why would you make it easy for them?

I think this has happened many times throughout history, unfortunately. I think you would very well comply if you felt there was any chance you might not end up being killed for some reason (as with a mock execution), or if the alternative was worse, for there are things worse than death.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd tell them to get bent, because I already know the chances of being able to behead them with a shovel when they let their guard down would be slim-to-none.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: popcorn on November 27, 2021, 11:58:12 PMI think this has happened many times throughout history, unfortunately. I think you would very well comply if you felt there was any chance you might not end up being killed for some reason (as with a mock execution), or if the alternative was worse, for there are things worse than death.

Do you reckon it has happened on an individual level that much? Sadly I fear the reality is worse and several poor bastards have been digging a big hole.

Tombola

"I thought we were friends"
*Turns away*

"We are.. we-"

*Person has gone*

Famous Mortimer

That thing where, if any goon is introduced with some nunchuks (or, often, a bo staff) they have to have a few seconds where they do a mini weapons kata before starting fighting.

Magnum Valentino

Bound to have had it in 99 pages:

Someone falls over a cliff or the edge of a rooftop but a second camera angle reveals they've grabbed an unseen handhold and are ready to climb back up or be rescued. If they need rescued, in can lead to another of these -

A character hanging from another's grip above a massive drop will free fall for a moment, clearly out of reach, only to be re-gripped by the other or both hands.

Famous Mortimer

It doesn't happen so much any more, but I wish it had never happened ever:

That thing where someone guesses someone else's password based on their favourite food, or the name of their kid, or something. They'd struggle with my regular password, "b0ner1ord69!"

FredNurke

The least believable part of the Watchmen comic. Yes, even less believable than Dr Manhattan and the giant squid.

samadriel

It's commonly thought that Veidt left a particularly easy password for Rorschach and Dan to find so that they'd come to the Antarctic base.

Magnum Valentino

He did surely he's the smartest cunt on earth 'member?

Here's one - an attractive person approaches one of the main characters who is too busy to look up while they speak to them (probably at a service desk or something), and when they DO look up at the attractive person they give them that embarrassed/bonerific look. Same look every time.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 20, 2022, 04:16:43 AMHere's one - an attractive person approaches one of the main characters who is too busy to look up while they speak to them (probably at a service desk or something), and when they DO look up at the attractive person they give them that embarrassed/bonerific look. Same look every time.

Yes!

Icehaven

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 20, 2022, 04:16:43 AMHe did surely he's the smartest cunt on earth 'member?

Here's one - an attractive person approaches one of the main characters who is too busy to look up while they speak to them (probably at a service desk or something), and when they DO look up at the attractive person they give them that embarrassed/bonerific look. Same look every time.

And then while they're awkwardly trying to speak to them and stuttering and generally making an ass of themselves, their boss walks up and says "I see you've met my daughter."

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: icehaven on January 20, 2022, 08:39:27 AMAnd then while they're awkwardly trying to speak to them and stuttering and generally making an ass of themselves, their boss walks up and says "I see you've met my daughter."

Haha it was Twin Peaks I was watching and I think that's exactly what was happening - Billy Zane was there to meet the father of Sherilyn Fenn's character and it was her who'd got all flustered.

Famous Mortimer

That thing where someone is hit over the head with a vase and is immediately knocked unconscious. I've hit my head extremely hard on low doorframes enough times to be confident I could take a vase to the head and shake it off.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 06, 2022, 03:01:42 AMThat thing where someone is hit over the head with a vase and is immediately knocked unconscious. I've hit my head extremely hard on low doorframes enough times to be confident I could take a vase to the head and shake it off.

And there's no blood.  That also goes for someone thrown through a window.

Brundle-Fly

Villains punching through the driver's side window of a car in one blow and the glass shatters like an IKEA wine glass. I've literally taken a crowbar and whacked the shit out of a car window repeatedly to no avail*.

*this was a motor destined to be crushed at a scrap yard, I must add.

mothman

I think we've discussed before in this thread about the trope where a light knock on the head can cause a period of unconsciousness, akin to sleep and with no side-effects, rather than potential brain and/or skull damage.

I can let that one go, since it happens repeatedly in Midnight Run.

lipsink

Person is nervously holding a gun at a baddie.

Baddie: "You've never shot a gun before, have you?"

Brundle-Fly

Suspect is held for hours in the police custody room. Shouts to CCTV. "How long are you gonna keep me waiting? Can I at least have a cigarette?" Detectives are stood behind a two way mirror wondering if/ knowing they did the crime. Extra points if one of them is an obese police sergeant nearing retirement or a no nonsense but sexy female detective who is as thin as a rake.

Twit 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

Hard-bitten protagonist cop/detective/any bloke really has to sweep away (with one arm movement) take-out/detritus/disorganised papers/fag butts etc because either:

a) They haven't had a lead for a while but now they've got a new angle or info and they need to get cracking.

b) A woman is visiting and they can't see the place like this!

Quote from: lipsink on February 06, 2022, 11:23:58 AMPerson is nervously holding a gun at a baddie.

Baddie: "You've never shot a gun before, have you?"

Adding challenge to them to fire and/or confident assertion that they won't have the nerve to do so.