Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on September 27, 2017, 05:13:32 PM
Kids in America always have big fucking huge bedrooms with loads
of cool stuff. Even when they are portrayed to be in poor families.

The main exception to this is Close Encounters, their gaff is a fucking tip, it's in the background, rratherr than say, the Adams Family or the house in the Young Ones.

olliebean

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2017, 03:20:43 PM
They just did this on Episodes the other day.

Yes, that's what brought it to mind.

Nobody Soup

every single card game in every film ever being won by the ace of spades.

also, you must do it in this way

Nobody Soup

Quote from: non capisco on September 26, 2017, 11:37:11 PM
A main protagonist at the end of a film throwing an object that represents their life from the beginning of the film into a sea or river. Usually a cop with their badge but can be anything. I am disgusted with my past self but I have learnt a valuable lesson so I will hoy this into the sea and that will psychologically be that.

good one!

it's especially weird how some of these things come up even in films that are considered really deep and critically acclaimed. doesn't the kid throw the english flag into the sea in This Is England?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

All the Russian baddies together in one room. *All* Native Speakers of Russian, mind , no exceptions.  You can't see a Native English speaker for sloppy snogs nor money in that room, they're all born and chleb in the Motherland, maybe a couple originally from Ekaterinaberg, maybe a hick from Voskresensk, a couple of flash types from yer Moscow. They vse gavarits Russian as their pervy yazyk.

They start speaking to each other in English.

SteveDave

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 28, 2017, 02:33:57 PM
All the Russian baddies together in one room. *All* Native Speakers of Russian, mind , no exceptions.  You can't see a Native English speaker for sloppy snogs nor money in that room, they're all born and chleb in the Motherland, maybe a couple originally from Ekaterinaberg, maybe a hick from Voskresensk, a couple of flash types from yer Moscow. They vse gavarits Russian as their pervy yazyk.

They sort of acknowledge the weirdness of this at the start of The Hunt For Red October don't they? It starts with them speaking Russian with subtitles and then the camera moves and they start speaking English.

Sebastian Cobb

Except they're not russian. They're from unspecific Eastern European country that definitely isn't russia, honest.

Blumf

zomgmouse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 28, 2017, 02:33:57 PM

See also: Russian characters speaking Russian only the actors portraying them are ten barrels of fuck away from being at all Russian and it sounds like a deaf parrot's version of Russian. Are there really no russophone actors in Hollywood? Especially as these are more often than not bit parts that I'm sure can easily be filled. I'm sure this happens with other languages as well but being a Russian speaker this is the one I notice. I range from amusement to irritation when I witness this.

Sebastian Cobb

Vincent Cassell has played English-speaking Russians before hasn't he?

mothman

I could be wrong, but the Americans TV show did a quite good job I thought of using Russophone actors?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 28, 2017, 03:42:42 PM
Vincent Cassell has played English-speaking Russians before hasn't he?

A couple of times spring to mind but certainly in Eastern Promises, which I have watched but can't really remember what was about now.

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on September 28, 2017, 04:41:56 PM
I could be wrong, but the Americans TV show did a quite good job I thought of using Russophone actors?

My dad watched this and said it was kind of tolerable because the main character was meant to have lived in America for a long time so it made sense that his accent was slightly shifted. Otherwise not sure.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 28, 2017, 09:40:53 PM
My dad watched this and said it was kind of tolerable because the main character was meant to have lived in America for a long time so it made sense that his accent was slightly shifted. Otherwise not sure.

They were also rigorously trained to fit in. I've not watched that much, but it seemed like the story was going towards the bloke getting at risk of being native and his wife being the one trying to reel him in.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 27, 2017, 07:54:53 PM
The main exception to this is Close Encounters, their gaff is a fucking tip, it's in the background, rratherr than say, the Adams Family or the house in the Young Ones.

Yeah, Spielberg was great at depicting busy family homes in a realistic way. Kids running around, toys everywhere, but always in the background. The houses in ET and Jaws look suitably lived-in too.

Icehaven

A childless person being awkwardly forced to hold a baby and it meaning either ''Hey...this is actually not too bad and I will have/want a child before the end of this film!'' or ''I am clearly uncomfortable and remain unmoved, I am probably a sociopath.''

Icehaven

Showing someone taking a shower immediately after doing something bad (disposing of a body, shagging someone they shouldn't etc.), usually with eyes closed.

Spoon of Ploff

Running to the bridge to impart vital information in SciFi films (yes I have just watched the new Star Trek pilot).
  Just open up a comms channel - it will save an awful lot of time and energy... and lives.

Dr Rock

Everytime a baddie gets chucked from high building they land on a car, usually setting off the alarm. They're still assumed dead, so let's see them squished on the pavement sometimes!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 01, 2017, 10:53:05 AM
Everytime a baddie gets chucked from high building they land on a car, usually setting off the alarm. They're still assumed dead, so let's see them squished on the pavement sometimes!

Blame product placement

Konki

Quote from: icehaven on October 01, 2017, 07:04:39 AM
Showing someone taking a shower immediately after doing something bad (disposing of a body, shagging someone they shouldn't etc.), usually with eyes closed.

It is overused but imagine a world without this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTLSU1bffg

It doesn't bear thinking about.

MoleStation

When a character has a bad day or has to make some sort of decision they always go to a handy wash hand basin, splash their face with water, look in the mirror and stare deeply into their own eyes. For some bloody reason.

mothman

Quote from: Konki on October 01, 2017, 08:55:58 PM
It is overused but imagine a world without this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTLSU1bffg

It doesn't bear thinking about.

DUDE. I knew it'd be that scene.

Bazooka

Quote from: MoleStation on October 01, 2017, 09:45:26 PM
When a character has a bad day or has to make some sort of decision they always go to a handy wash hand basin, splash their face with water, look in the mirror and stare deeply into their own eyes. For some bloody reason.

Usually in a public toilet, I have never seen anyone do it in real life.

Harking back to the withholding information from someone that you could just tell them, the Expendables 3 was on last night ( watched 20 mins, truly atrocious) and this young buck was asking Stallone what is so special about the guy they need to eliminate, Stallone refuses to answer and just slams a file into his chest which contains pictures of Mel Gibson and a wikipedia entry.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on October 02, 2017, 04:02:45 PM
Stallone refuses to answer and just slams a file into his chest which contains pictures of Mel Gibson and a wikipedia entry.

Stallone has form for providing incomplete/dodgy information like this.

In Over the Top at some point he gets asked for information and seemingly pulls out a dog-eared picture of him with his son.

Konki

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2017, 10:38:34 PM
DUDE. I knew it'd be that scene.

Great minds and all that. I will not have such mastery erased from history.

Twit 2

I love the shower scene in Paranoid Park, all woozy cinematography and with the time-stretching effect of the river rapid sequence at the beginning of Aguirre.

I always think when they toss a mobile phone out of a car or throw into siding when they are finished with it is not the best means of disposal. Someone could easily pick it up at the side of road or whatnot and then they would get caught. Maybe that is just me though.

Bazooka

This one is TV cliche also, but people making breakfast for someone before they have even seen them, i.e bacon and eggs with an orange juice ready to serve hot and not ruined just as the person comes downstairs (usually yawning and rubbing their hair). Even odder when its a one night stand scenario and the person that doesn't live there is up and cooking bacon and eggs (always thin streaky bacon and scrambled eggs served with a coffee and a jug of orange juice).