Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 22, 2018, 02:55:31 PM
Or if it's Bean then it's just a hand in the shape of a gun.

Is that what Gran Tourino nicked it from.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 22, 2018, 02:55:31 PM
Or if it's Bean then it's just a hand in the shape of a gun.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2018, 02:58:05 PM
Is that what Gran Tourino nicked it from.

Actually, I think you'll find that they both nicked it from me, playing cops and robbers with my friends, as a kid.

Dr Rock

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 22, 2018, 03:38:50 PM

Actually, I think you'll find that they both nicked it from me, playing cops and robbers with my friends, as a kid.

Rule Number One - you'v got to take it if you're hit.

(For about thirty seconds anyway)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 05:08:50 PM
Rule Number One - you'v got to take it if you're hit.

(For about thirty seconds anyway)

Not if you're wearing a bullet proof vest, which I always was because my Mother insisted upon it, "in case it gets cold or there's a sharpshooter".

Dr Rock

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2018, 06:15:52 PM
Armour-piercing bullets.

Nuh-uh 'cause I'm wearing da armour-piercing bullet bouncing vest, so dat da bullets ricochet off me and kill you instead, so derr!

Mummy, da other kids ain't playing fair!  Tell dem dat I got da armour-piercing bullet bouncing vest!

Steven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 22, 2018, 12:48:33 PM
Also similarly - a character pulls something out of their pocket and gets shot by cops with itchy trigger fingers thinking they've pulled out a gun.  It turns out to be a Bible or a photo of their dead wife.

Ah, but it's used to goof effect in Falling Down as he draws a water pistol, he wants Sgt Prendergast to shoot him as he knows he's hit rock bottom and there's nowhere else to go.

asids

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 13, 2018, 09:15:29 PM
Why do house party scenes in U.S. movies always have a load of young people dancing to shit music you've never heard before? There will always be a moody girl gyrating on a table too.

They had this in Hereditary with some generic FUCK BITCHES AND HOES rap music in the background for a party of very white 16 year olds, which seemed a bit strange as you'd assume they'd have generic EDM music on instead.

olliebean

I'm sure someone must have mentioned this one already (I will happily cede credit if so), but just in case they haven't: Two people tussle with a gun; the gun goes off; it's not immediately obvious which of them has been shot.

lipsink

A variation on this one was done in SOLO.

There's a big chase and the hero comes to a really thin alleyway that it seems like his vehicle will never fit through. The hero usually fits through it though by flipping the vehicle on its side or some other trick.

Then the baddie will try to follow him through and crash.

EOLAN

Quote from: lipsink on July 02, 2018, 03:50:32 PM
A variation on this one was done in SOLO.

There's a big chase and the hero comes to a really thin alleyway that it seems like his vehicle will never fit through. The hero usually fits through it though by flipping the vehicle on its side or some other trick.

Then the baddie will try to follow him through and crash.

Just seen this cliché in the last week or two. A guy driving a reluctant girl and being chased by the police. Tells the girl to shift her body weight to the side as he works the manoeuvre.
That guy was Sean Connery as James Bond. Not a dramatic reveal. It just came to me. Caught the tail-end as my wife were watching it.

Sebastian Cobb

Normal everyday man able to run away from or after a baddie at full pelt for several minutes at a time.

Clownbaby

Referencing Ghostbusters a LOT. I'm looking at you Zombieland, Be Kind Rewind, Ghostbusters 2.

buzby

Quote from: EOLAN on July 02, 2018, 05:12:12 PM
Just seen this cliché in the last week or two. A guy driving a reluctant girl and being chased by the police. Tells the girl to shift her body weight to the side as he works the manoeuvre.
That guy was Sean Connery as James Bond. Not a dramatic reveal. It just came to me. Caught the tail-end as my wife were watching it.
Was it Diamonds Are Forever, where the Mustang comes out of the narrow alleyway on the opposite two wheels to the ones it went in on?

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 03, 2018, 11:20:11 PM
Referencing Ghostbusters a LOT. I'm looking at you Zombieland, Be Kind Rewind, Ghostbusters 2.

Film critics you want to fuck off...

Nostalgia "Zuul, mother fucker" Critic.

BlodwynPig

Psychological thriller. Appearance of family pooch, normally a golden Labrador. Dog will be first dead.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 11:50:10 PM
Psychological thriller. Appearance of family pooch, normally a golden Labrador. Dog will be first dead.

Wanders off screen, makes that squeal.

Sebastian Cobb

Kid playing modern games machine (screen not visible)

Background sound effects are from atari 2600.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 13, 2018, 12:09:04 AM

A game where the aim is to mash the buttons randomly as fast as possible.

mothman

I remember in Eastenders the background noises from a TV being on always sounded like they were watching a western film.

Clownbaby

The TV in the background of a scene will only either be playing an iconic B Movie or an old cartoon

ersatz99

When you're ten minutes into a film and the opening credits are still popping up and you're trying to work out which one is definitely the last, like those bricks dropping on Oliver Hardy's head.

Bhazor

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 13, 2018, 12:06:38 AM
Wanders off screen, makes that squeal.

Fuck Skyrim for using that squeal when killing wolves.

lipsink

In a teen slasher film there's always a class where the lesson is a metaphor for the story of the film.

olliebean

Quote from: ersatz99 on July 13, 2018, 10:50:37 AM
When you're ten minutes into a film and the opening credits are still popping up and you're trying to work out which one is definitely the last, like those bricks dropping on Oliver Hardy's head.

When a caption pops up during a trailer and you realise it's the second half of a sentence you forgot the first half of because it was half a dozen disconnected lines of dialogue ago. (Or is it just me who has this problem with trailers?)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 13, 2018, 10:35:11 AM
The TV in the background of a scene will only either be playing an iconic B Movie or an old cartoon

TV's which are not synced to the camera's frame rate.  Last seen in Breaking Bad, by me, last Saturday.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 13, 2018, 08:29:24 PM
TV's which are not synced to the camera's frame rate.  Last seen in Breaking Bad, by me, last Saturday.

Fun fact: the first film to use electronics to do this properly was Videodrome.

Spiteface

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 13, 2018, 12:09:04 AM

See also: Gameboys apparently working with no cartridge in them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 13, 2018, 08:41:50 PM
Fun fact: the first film to use electronics to do this properly was Videodrome.

Fun fact: I found that nugget of trivia to be both interesting and educational.