Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Yeah, if the world ever needs my particular mental configuration to avert disaster, then you're all screwed, I will genuinely be all arsed mate, cigs. I may even start smoking just to twist the knife a bit.

greencalx

Quote from: St_Eddie on September 05, 2018, 02:02:29 PM
On the subject of children's drawings in films; a child's drawing which has clearly being drawn by an adult with an art degree, in the prop department because the standard of skill far exceeds that of a child.  Seriously, just get an actual child to draw it, or at the very least, get an adult with zero skill to do it.

See also: school plays with professionally set and lit stages, church fetes with expensive bespoke banners and signage, etc. More of a TV than a film thing, though, I think.

lipsink

How about the one where a couple are on their first date and it's at a fancy restaurant. It's awkward, the waiter is snooty and looks down his nose at them, the guy can't pronounce the words on the menu and the conversation is stilted.

Then the guy says something that accidentally makes the woman laugh. The tension is broken and the guys says: "Hey, you wanna get outta here?"

They then go to a crappy little diner and have a great ol' time. Usually accompanied by a shot outside the diner of them chatting away inside and laughing at something we can't hear.

Cuellar

Quote from: kalowski on July 22, 2018, 10:38:19 PM
Does Phil really say, "Just get on top of me and spunk on me,"????

Fucking hell, pissing myself here.

Cuellar

Someone nearly getting killed then going "Ha, you can't get me!" then getting killed.

Icehaven

Quote from: lipsink on October 02, 2018, 12:31:50 PM

Then the guy says something that accidentally makes the woman laugh. The tension is broken and the guys says: "Hey, you wanna get outta here?"

"Hey you wanna get outta here?" is just generally annoying, particularly when they've just got there, and there's loads of other people they know there, and where they are actually looks quite fun and not half as bad as the phrase implies.

lipsink

People smiling to an audience and shaking hands with each other while they're secretly actually saying horrible things to each other.

magval

Quote from: lipsink on October 02, 2018, 12:31:50 PM
How about the one where a couple are on their first date and it's at a fancy restaurant. It's awkward, the waiter is snooty and looks down his nose at them, the guy can't pronounce the words on the menu and the conversation is stilted.

They then go to a crappy little diner and have a great ol' time. Usually accompanied by a shot outside the diner of them chatting away inside and laughing at something we can't hear.

In Batman 1989, all of this happens within Batman's own house

Ferris

Quote from: magval on October 04, 2018, 12:21:30 AM
In Batman 1989, all of this happens within Batman's own house

Prince did all the music for that film, including a reworked version of the theme tune. Look it up on Spotify, it's mad.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 04, 2018, 01:39:40 AM
Prince did all the music for that film, including a reworked version of the theme tune. Look it up on Spotify, it's mad.

I absolutely loved/love Batdance. It blew my 10 year old mind that the same person that did that also did Purple Rain.

a duncandisorderly

I read somewhere that "let's get out of here!" or small variations thereof occurs in more movies than any other phrase.

Gulftastic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 04, 2018, 01:39:40 AM

Right at the far end of Prince's golden period. Compare the saccharine 'Arms Of Orion' duet with Sheena Easton to their earlier collaboration on 'U Got The Look'. There were decent tracks on the album, but he was past his best by then. As a mega fan of his 80's work, I could see the cracks.

lipsink

Isn't it true that the Batman soundtrack was originally meant to be Prince doing the upbeat tracks and Jack doing the ballads. Read that on Wikipedia once but dunno if it was just bollocks.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bhazor on July 31, 2018, 04:19:18 PM
The little kid has imaginary friend. That's really a GHOOSSSSTTTT!!!

Actually can we just have all children removed from horror films? Except for the ones that get killed. They can stay and get killed. One of the things The VVitch did right.

Not even Newt?

magval

Lads Danny Elfman done the music in Batman. Prince just did the in-scene songs.

garnish

Quote from: bgmnts on October 04, 2018, 06:16:35 PM
Not even Newt?

She does get killed if you don't mind waiting for the third film

Clownbaby

I finally got round to giving Deadpool a bash and I'm actually shocked at how shit it was. I'm not a comic person right, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole thing with Deadpool that he sarcastically and scathingly takes the piss out of superhero cliches? Why then, was the entire film, every joke, every shot, every nod at the camera, every narrated moment and just the overall tone of the whole thing just a massive boring naff cliché and just the same as pretty much any other Marvel movie?

The credits at the start - "some douchebag's film" HAHAHAHAHA  and practically everything that came out of our boy Deadpool's mouth was a cliché. Crass but cutesy swears - "fuckbiscuits!" Superhero is actually also domesticated and normal -  "hur hur did I leave the oven on?" I know, from so many people pointing out to me, that deadpool jokes are supposed to be a bit daft and cheesy but surely they could be more charming shit than just straight up shit. It felt like the result of a group of middle aged guys around a table trying to figure out how to get down with the teens and make an edgy tonic anti-superhero movie while at the same time making sure it wasn't too edgy or it might not be a hit.

Watch any Marvel film and you can instantly tell which focus group it was made for. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. Marvel is a huge iconic brand that is incredibly popular, I know that. But when they try and make it look like they AREN'T doing that, it's cringeworthy. If they really wanted to commit to a character that is so aware of cliches, they should have got a team behind the film that could take a risk. It could have still done well purely because people were interested in seeing Deadpool onscreen anyway so I think it's absolute bollocks when people say it wouldn't have been a box office hit if they'd made it more risky.

popcorn

Deadpool is ghastly unfunny bollocks. As soon as I saw that "some douchebag" I thought oh fucking hell.

Keebleman

Somebody calling 999 (or 911) and then hanging up or just setting the phone down without giving any info, and we can hear the operator saying, "Hello?  Caller, hello?  Hello?"  I've just seen a mediocre thriller on Netflix called Bad Day for the Cut in which this happens twice.

bgmnts

It's not a cliche, its more an obscure annoyance but the weird way everyone eats peanuts in films.

Like, they cup it in their hands, give it a little shake for some reason and then throw it back into their gullet.

Why?

BlodwynPig

Heh! normally a short man with polo neck and blazer?

beanheadmcginty

Swallowing headache pills without a glass of water. Sometimes even appearing to chew them.

Cuellar

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 09, 2018, 11:10:44 AM
Swallowing headache pills without a glass of water. Sometimes even appearing to chew them.

I do this though (not chewing).

How often are you near water when you have a headache!? Infrequently, so just get them down you as fast as possible.

I often have no headache pills to hand though and I'm just buying them from Boots and cracking into them straight away.

Chollis

Quote from: Cuellar on November 09, 2018, 11:25:05 AM
I do this though (not chewing).

How often are you near water when you have a headache!? Infrequently, so just get them down you as fast as possible.

I often have no headache pills to hand though and I'm just buying them from Boots and cracking into them straight away.

Treat yourself to a bottle of water, or any other other fluid such as Fanta or Domestos, next time you're in Boots buying headache pills. Decadence.

bgmnts

I take pills dry. I thought most people did.

Sebastian Cobb

In films you don't see them working up a mouthful of gob to swallow them with.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on November 09, 2018, 01:25:32 PM
I take pills dry. I thought most people did.

We're not on about suppositories you dirty get.

Cuellar

Quote from: Chollis on November 09, 2018, 12:35:51 PM
Treat yourself to a bottle of water, or any other other fluid such as Fanta or Domestos, next time you're in Boots buying headache pills. Decadence.

no

notjosh

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 04, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
I read somewhere that "let's get out of here!" or small variations thereof occurs in more movies than any other phrase.

This is stated by either Matthew Perry or Neve Campbell in Three to Tango.

I remember because not long after watching it I switched the telly on during Breakfast at Tiffany's and saw George Peppard saying it to Holly Golightly in the library, then flicked a couple of channels and saw Butch Cassidy saying the exact same thing to the Sundance Kid. One of those coincidences that is quite boring to recount, but absolutely electrifying in person.

Mister Six

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 07, 2018, 10:44:55 AM
Watch any Marvel film and you can instantly tell which focus group it was made for. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. Marvel is a huge iconic brand that is incredibly popular, I know that. But when they try and make it look like they AREN'T doing that, it's cringeworthy.

Just to be that wanker, Deadpool, like the X-Men films, isn't made by Marvel, it's made by Fox, who bought the licence. Just like the Fantastic Four, pre-Tom Holland Spider-Man and Venom films are made by Sony, who licenced out the Spider-Man characters (Spider-Man Homecoming was made in collaboration with Marvel because Sony are awful and have no idea what they're doing.)

(Also as Disney have now bought Fox's non-news output, they'll likely integrate the X-franchises into Marvel Studios at some point.)

As for the opening credits joke in Deadpool, referring to Ryan Reynolds as "God's Perfect Idiot" was funny.