Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Quote from: Mister Six on November 11, 2018, 02:41:27 PM
As for the opening credits joke in Deadpool, referring to Ryan Reynolds as "God's Perfect Idiot" was funny.

Each to their own eh

Clownbaby

Quote from: Mister Six on November 11, 2018, 02:41:27 PM
Just to be that wanker, Deadpool, like the X-Men films, isn't made by Marvel, it's made by Fox, who bought the licence. Just like the Fantastic Four, pre-Tom Holland Spider-Man and Venom films are made by Sony, who licenced out the Spider-Man characters (Spider-Man Homecoming was made in collaboration with Marvel because Sony are awful and have no idea what they're doing.)

(Also as Disney have now bought Fox's non-news output, they'll likely integrate the X-franchises into Marvel Studios at some point.)

I know that, I'm still counting it as a Marvel film though because it's a Marvel character that has been adapted to film. When I say "Marvel film" I'm just meaning the character is Marvel and there's and film about it. They all blur together in tone and look and casting and script anyway

greenman

I felt the Deadpool's were "acceptable", the kind of thing that's normally god-awful crap actually gone reasonable well.

Clownbaby

Quote from: greenman on November 12, 2018, 11:16:41 AM
I felt the Deadpool's were "acceptable", the kind of thing that's normally god-awful crap actually gone reasonable well.

See I found it worse than most because it seemed really really pleased with itself, even more so than your usual "Marvel film"

Clownbaby

Speaking of other cliches

BOWL CUT BOYS

Watched Face/Off and there's 2 BOWL CUT BOYS. They never have a personality. They're just cute little innocent looking cartoon-haired sons of the protagonists there to inject humanity and a backstory. They say things like "I love you daddy!" and get their hair ruffled. They also get tucked into bed lovingly.

greenman

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 12, 2018, 11:21:02 AM
See I found it worse than most because it seemed really really pleased with itself, even more so than your usual "Marvel film"

Honestly though I think dispite the subject matter its closer to style to something like the Ted films and by those standards I think its better than most.

mothman

I don't have a problem with the Deadpool credits. I think they're mildly funny and did what they're there to do. But... "God's perfect idiot?" What does that even mean? That's the best thing they could think of? It doesn't even really fit the theme of the rest of the credits (a hot chick, an English villain, a moody teen etc.). Better to have gone with, I dunno, "an overpaid blowhard" or "a pampered Hollywood pretty-boy" or something. Perhaps they didn't want to upset the film's star by choosing something too insulting. Or - more likely? - he thought it up himself, and it's his idea of being self-deprecating. Though he does seem to be capable of being that for real. It's just... very odd. I don't get it.

magval

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 12, 2018, 11:24:58 AM
Speaking of other cliches

BOWL CUT BOYS

Watched Face/Off and there's 2 BOWL CUT BOYS. They never have a personality. They're just cute little innocent looking cartoon-haired sons of the protagonists there to inject humanity and a backstory. They say things like "I love you daddy!" and get their hair ruffled. They also get tucked into bed lovingly.

They also replace murdered sons without social services getting involved AT ALL

Clownbaby

Quote from: mothman on November 12, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
I don't have a problem with the Deadpool credits. I think they're mildly funny and did what they're there to do. But... "God's perfect idiot?" What does that even mean? That's the best thing they could think of? It doesn't even really fit the theme of the rest of the credits (a hot chick, an English villain, a moody teen etc.). Better to have gone with, I dunno, "an overpaid blowhard" or "a pampered Hollywood pretty-boy" or something. Perhaps they didn't want to upset the film's star by choosing something too insulting. Or - more likely? - he thought it up himself, and it's his idea of being self-deprecating. Though he does seem to be capable of being that for real. It's just... very odd. I don't get it.

Yeah I agree, it's like they were trying to go for the most creative way of saying "boring handsome cunt" but it just sounds strange and flowery. the whole film is a mess of crap jokes that don't land for me. It's not smart enough to execute what it tries to, but it desperately doesn't want to be as mediocre as it is.

Icehaven

I've said it before, and probably not for the last time I'll say it again, but Ryan Reynolds is NOT particularly handsome. He's like the male version of Sarah Jessica Parker in that there seems to be some collective conspiracy to pretend he's unusually beautiful, but he's just very average looking   (although if I was going to be mean I'd say his face is very small, his eyes are very close together and his forehead is huge). I do like him and Deadpool though so I'll give him/them the benefit of the doubt and say it's part of the joke à la Zoolander. 

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2018, 02:22:00 PM
I've said it before, and probably not for the last time I'll say it again, but Ryan Reynolds is NOT particularly handsome. He's like the male version of Sarah Jessica Parker

That's Ray Parlour.

garnish

Quote from: mothman on November 12, 2018, 07:02:26 PM

I don't feel strongly about the credits one way or the other but those suggestions are incredibly awful.

garnish

I've said it before, and probably not for the last time I'll say it again, but Ryan Reynolds is NOT particularly handsome. He's like the male version of Sarah Jessica Parker in that there seems to be some collective conspiracy to pretend he's unusually beautiful, but he's just very average looking   (although if I was going to be mean I'd say his face is very small, his eyes are very close together and his forehead is huge). I do like him and Deadpool though so I'll give him/them the benefit of the doubt and say it's part of the joke à la Zoolander.

Well everyone compares SJP to a horse so if there's a conspiracy, I'm not sure it's to pretend she's beautiful.

Him on the other hand - well, if you don't like his face, he certainly has a very athletic body with many stomach packs.

bgmnts

Sarah Jessica Parker was gorgeous in Ed Wood.

Hey, Punk!

Ryan Reynolds is above average, but I think it is his cheekiness that makes him sexy for many women. He's a bit of a gooball and is willing to take the piss out of himself, being shredded doesn't hurt though.

mothman

Quote from: garnish on November 14, 2018, 07:37:04 PM
I don't feel strongly about the credits one way or the other but those suggestions are incredibly awful.

I was rather hoping the inclusion of the qualifying "I dunno" might clue everyone into my lack of WGA credits. Obviously not, that's me told then. The point I was making, which everyone else seems to have grasped, is that "God's perfect idiot" is something of a nonsequitur and not in keeping with the format of the other casting credits.

garnish

Quote from: mothman on November 14, 2018, 08:21:49 PM
I was rather hoping the inclusion of the qualifying "I dunno" might clue everyone into my lack of WGA credits. Obviously not, that's me told then. The point I was making, which everyone else seems to have grasped, is that "God's perfect idiot" is something of a nonsequitur and not in keeping with the format of the other casting credits.

Why would you claim to be a writer and in the WGA then? "I dunno" isn't some magic get out of jail free card that you can employ once someone calls you out on your lies.

Chriddof

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2018, 07:41:15 PM

As a kid I found her very pretty in Steve Martin's LA Story as well, to the point that I didn't realise her character and Carrie Bradshaw were played by the same person until years later. Funnily enough, it's possibly Ed Wood where the horse comparison comes from, due to a line saying as much delivered by her.

Quote from: garnish on November 14, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
Why would you claim to be a writer and in the WGA then? "I dunno" isn't some magic get out of jail free card that you can employ once someone calls you out on your lies.

I've not been following things closely enough to know precisely what's going on here, but regardless of whether he/she's in the WGA or not, and also regardless of the quality of what was suggested, "God's Perfect Idiot" isn't a very good phrase.

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2018, 07:41:15 PM

Everyone was gorgeous in that though, even Martin Landau.

Icehaven

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on November 14, 2018, 08:10:14 PM
Ryan Reynolds is above average, but I think it is his cheekiness that makes him sexy for many women. He's a bit of a gooball and is willing to take the piss out of himself, being shredded doesn't hurt though.

Maybe I'm just a face person. And yeah as I said I do like him and I liked both Deadpools, just not getting the whole "he's super-gorgeous" thing.

lebowskibukowski

I'd say he looks like former footballer and current charisma vacuum Michael Owen who very rarely tops the handsomestness charts

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Has Reynolds said when he plans to return Jason Lee's intonation and general acting style yet?

Bazooka

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 15, 2018, 07:34:38 AM
I'd say he looks like former footballer and current charisma vacuum Michael Owen who very rarely tops the handsomestness charts

You have never seen either of the above mentioned, I have a certificate in spotting lookalikes.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bazooka on November 15, 2018, 10:51:50 AM
You have never seen either of the above mentioned, I have a certificate in spotting lookalikes.

Then why haven't you mentioned Sara Jessica Parker's resemblance to Will Self in drag yet ?

magval

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 15, 2018, 07:55:17 AM
Has Reynolds said when he plans to return Jason Lee's intonation and general acting style yet?

I love you.

I have NEVER heard anyone else say this exact and correct thing before (I've not looked, really). Since Blade 3 I've been thinking "look at this fool, how's he think he'll get away with this?".

mothman

Quote from: garnish on November 14, 2018, 10:34:38 PM

U OK hun?

magval

"Please [civilian name]... I only want to help."

"[Civilian name] is DEAD. Now, there is only [crazy new supervillain name]".

I don't really want it to fuck off but it feels a bit hacky in comics films. It's too much like a tribute line for what's really just a bank of stock phrases.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: magval on November 15, 2018, 11:42:34 PM
"Please [civilian name]... I only want to help."

"[Civilian name] is DEAD. Now, there is only [crazy new supervillain name]".

I don't really want it to fuck off but it feels a bit hacky in comics films. It's too much like a tribute line for what's really just a bank of stock phrases.

First time I saw this was Batman (1989) and I don't think it's been bettered.

Clownbaby

Quote from: icehaven on November 15, 2018, 07:22:32 AM
Maybe I'm just a face person. And yeah as I said I do like him and I liked both Deadpools, just not getting the whole "he's super-gorgeous" thing.

Agree.