Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

buzby

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 16, 2018, 10:17:58 AM
First time I saw this was Batman (1989) and I don't think it's been bettered.
The first time I can remember seeing it was in Manhunter, where Dolarhyde/the Red Dragon arrives at Reba's house as she's being dropped off by another male work colleague and through his twisted mental state and lack of self-worth he imagines them flirting while they are saying goodbye. He kills the other man, knocks on Reba's door and when she answers, he stands there silently. She asks 'Francis, is that you?' and he replies 'Francis is gone. Francis is gone forever'.

holyzombiejesus

That shot of someone dying or falling ill in the shower and clutching at the shower curtain, making all the curtain rings pop, is getting so tedious.

Bazooka

When some is sitting down or standing and they see the person they are waiting for coming towards them(usually the  shot is from behind the walking person) ,the other person smiles and then bam they get punched or slapped but the recipient did not expect it.

Icehaven

Might have already been mentiomed but the age-old formula for revealing monsters/aliens/supernatural beings etc.;

See a glimpse in the first 45 minutes.
Few false alarms and/or shadows.
Another slightly longer fleeting glance, possibly involving the death of a minor character.
A chase scene where you see it for longer but mostly in motion.
Maybe another chase scene with some different moves.
A good look in the last half hour, full range of the creature design shown off, often including the death of it/one of them to allow for lots of close-ups of it not moving so you can see all the detail (and possibly including some expositiony explaination)

Finally watched A Quiet Place last night and it followed it to the letter.

popcorn

I think I said this 100 pages ago but I never want to hear another character say "All right, I'll bite" ever again.

mothman

Cuellar

When the hero is trying to defuse a bomb and as the clock ticks down to 1 second he rams his brass hand into the electricals and shorts the mechanism.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuellar on November 27, 2018, 01:30:54 PM
When the hero is trying to defuse a bomb and as the clock ticks down to 1 second he rams his brass hand into the electricals and shorts the mechanism.

We could have a whole sub-section of bomb diffusing film clichés. See also; it's too late so everyone steels themselves for the explosion but nothing happens, then they discover that's that's the fake bomb so the real one is wherever the villain is (and probably in the briefcase he thinks is full of money), cut to shot of him realising moments before it explodes spectacularly.

momatt

Quote from: popcorn on November 27, 2018, 06:29:46 AM
I think I said this 100 pages ago but I never want to hear another character say "All right, I'll bite" ever again.

"Say it again in English, pointdexter!"

Chollis

I'm sure this appears every other page but

our protagonist gets knocked to the ground, helpless, his number is surely up as baddie stands over him, ready to deliver the coup de grace, but just at the last second baddie gets stabbed/shot through the chest by an unexpected saviour such as some previously meek pacifist shit or even a WOMAN

Chollis

Tell you what villain line i do like though

"Choose your next words carefully"

i'm assuming Alan Rickman said that at some point cos in my head it's always his voice

Captain Crunch

When there's an old man and just in case we might forget that old men are there just for pity they play in one of the songs from that Johnny Cash album, normally 'Hurt'.  Bonus points for having it too loud. 

BlodwynPig

Extras, no matter in what context they appear, always talking about rhubarb.

Keebleman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 28, 2018, 03:47:40 PM
Extras, no matter in what context they appear, always talking about rhubarb.

I do a lot of film extra work and I have never discussed rhubarb.  The main problems that arise when we 'Supporting Artists' are told to mime conversation are: a) everyone talks simultaneously and b) everyone tends to look hyper-alert.

Just saw an episode of Luther and they did that "zoom and enhance" cliche on a blurry CCTV still, making the number plate HD quality.

Rizla

A couple over-enthusiastically singing along to "cheesy" pop music in the car. I tried to watch that Black Mirror ep "Be Right Back" again the other day and had to switch off 5mins in because of that one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rizla on December 05, 2018, 11:01:52 AM
A couple over-enthusiastically singing along to "cheesy" pop music in the car. I tried to watch that Black Mirror ep "Be Right Back" again the other day and had to switch off 5mins in because of that one.

It's what normal, well-adjusted and happy people do ALL THE FUCKING TIME

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 05, 2018, 02:06:49 PM

All right, calm down, Peter Kay.

mothman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 05, 2018, 02:06:49 PM

And this is why you never get invited on CaB road trips.

JesusAndYourBush

If someone is outside a house (be they a robber, madman, monster, etc) they will always knock over a milk bottle, smashing it, so the person inside can hear.

Keebleman

Any movie which starts with the company credits white on black, fading slowly from one to the next (eg PARAMOUNT PICTURES PRESENTS/A SEPTIC EARHOLE and CRUISE FILMS PRODUCTION) while ambient sound, esp insects and/or wind, is slowly pushed forward in the mix.

Icehaven

Cages or net traps etc. that it'd be really easy to get out of but the entrapped person doesn't, for some reason. There was one in a film I watched recently where there were 3 people in a net trap, one cut a hole and got straight out and the other two just stayed there, apparently unable to use the same hole (fnar).

Dex Sawash

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 28, 2018, 09:10:26 PM
Just saw an episode of Luther and they did that "zoom and enhance" cliche on a blurry CCTV still, making the number plate HD quality.

It's not right though, is it?

neveragain

A divorced father arrives late for his child's elaborate birthday party. Extra points if he's been tasked with something important by the ex who clearly doesn't trust him anyway.

Blumf

Quote from: neveragain on December 14, 2018, 03:01:13 PM
A divorced father arrives late for his child's elaborate birthday party. Extra points if he's been tasked with something important by the ex who clearly doesn't trust him anyway.

Not quiet the same, but this is in the ballpark:
https://www.adultswim.com/videos/infomercials/cool-dad-official-trailer/

chveik

zomgmouse

Holding search parties at night with torches instead of just going during the daylight

A character recognising a piece of classical music to prove that they're good at things

magval

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 30, 2018, 02:09:47 AM
Holding search parties at night with torches instead of just going during the daylight

A character recognising a piece of classical music to prove that they're good at things

Any examples of that last one?