Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Knowles Accusations / The End of AICN?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 25, 2017, 09:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Imagine being surprised by this. Fucking dirty bastard.

Shit Good Nose

Well, he is basically a bedroom nerd who has grown into an adult bedroom nerd, who has practically never left his bedroom.

Custard

He got married a few years ago. Bet it's fun in their house right now

Innocent until proven guilty an all that, but some unsavoury things popping up in the replies to his tweets. Though the replies are mostly people calling him a dirty cunt, etc

Weirdly, he's carrying on like none of it is happening. When it'd probably be better to shut up for a bit. Him Instagramming pictures of himself smiling as he drinks whiskey seems like a very stupid thing to do at present

Shit Good Nose

He's been shit-canned from the Austin film critics association as well, which could well mean he'll be unemployable, at least in film industry, for years to come if not the rest of his (possibly short) life.

Custard

There's a long running joke on Ain't It Cool about Harry and his "pwesents". He's known to accept every gift/bribe going by studios, bragging about it afterwards, and then ends up giving favourable reviews to very shitty films shortly afterwards

So he's either a big sellout whore, or has terrible taste in film. Neither are great when you are trying to put yourself out there as a credible film critic. I don't care much for Mark Kermode, but I believe his reviews are his genuine opinion

That Heroes review is amazing in many ways. Mostly it's amazing it was ever published to a popular website

mobias

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 26, 2017, 01:34:02 PM
There's a long running joke on Ain't It Cool about Harry and his "pwesents". He's known to accept every gift/bribe going by studios, bragging about it afterwards, and then ends up giving favourable reviews to very shitty films shortly afterwards

I'm surprised he's still wined and dined as much by the film industry these days. Him and his website must surely have stopped having much influence on the movie going public long ago?

Ant Farm Keyboard

That was my impression too. AICN may have been popular in the pre-broadband days, when resources were scarce, but I thought it had already gone the way of the dodo, or Altavista, or Geocities. It was such an amateurish site which I may have read once or twice (mostly when they got spoilers on Episode II), but I had no idea they were still publishing today. That might be why this collection of "Dear Penthouse Forum..." fantasies may have flown under the radar for many when they were published, as nobody gave a shit by then.

Small Man Big Horse

Due to all of this I've just discovered Dark Horizons - http://www.darkhorizons.com/ - is still going strong. It's weird, I used to visit that a fuck load up until about 2006 (mainly as I used to do a round up of film news for a site I ran) but haven't been back since, despite it looking like it's still an interesting place.

Small Man Big Horse

In an unexpected twist Harry's sister Danni is now at least temporarily running the site, this being her first piece: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78633

QuoteHola Dannie here!  Looks like AICN is going under "Female Control" for a while!  MUUHAHAHAHAHAAA! Boy's club out, Girl's club in.  For my first post, let's talk about a beautiful strong female creator and actress/director whose most recent directorial feature, "First They Killed My Father," which has debuted on Netflix, and I'll be watching tonight and posting a review promptly.  But first I wanted to share the trailer...

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 26, 2017, 11:13:25 PM
In an unexpected twist Harry's sister Danni is now at least temporarily running the site, this being her first piece: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78633

"For my first post, let's talk about a beautiful strong female creator and actress/director whose most recent directorial feature, "First They Killed My Father," which has debuted on Netflix, and I'll be watching tonight and posting a review promptly."

That is Harry's writing. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 26, 2017, 11:16:50 PM
That is Harry's writing. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Yeah I was going to say, this is clearly Harry in a woman's wig.

Shit Good Nose

Yeuch, the whole thing's just really sinister.

newbridge

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on September 26, 2017, 11:57:11 PM
Yeah I was going to say, this is clearly Harry in a woman's wig.

Now there's a Psycho remake that I would watch.

Glebe

surreal

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 26, 2017, 04:33:05 PM
Due to all of this I've just discovered Dark Horizons - http://www.darkhorizons.com/ - is still going strong. It's weird, I used to visit that a fuck load up until about 2006 (mainly as I used to do a round up of film news for a site I ran) but haven't been back since, despite it looking like it's still an interesting place.

I'd forgotten all about Dark Horizons, I mostly visit Birth, Movies, Death and Film School Rejects now.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: surreal on September 27, 2017, 08:21:07 AM
I'd forgotten all about Dark Horizons, I mostly visit Birth, Movies, Death and Film School Rejects now.

I could be misremembering here but I'm sure Dark Horizons went on an indefinite hiatus quite a few years back and that's why a lot of people stopped visiting & forgot about it.

Small Man Big Horse

More accusations - https://www.avclub.com/more-women-come-forward-with-sexual-assault-and-harassm-1818827581

He's still posting as his sister on aicn too, despite the fact that as Duke says above it's blatantly obvious that it's his style of writing.

madhair60

Future incidents of attempted harrassment by Harry Knowles can be easily avoided by ascending one or more steps.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 27, 2017, 09:15:23 AM
I could be misremembering here but I'm sure Dark Horizons went on an indefinite hiatus quite a few years back and that's why a lot of people stopped visiting & forgot about it.

I think you might be. I've been a daily reader of DH for almost 20 years, and I don't remember any long-term break in service.

hewantstolurkatad

this is a guy who doesn't know how to go offline, it's beyond weird to see someone continuing to tweet and instagram at a point when they should be following legal and PR advice to a tee.

His instagram is also one of the bleakest things I've seen in ages https://www.instagram.com/headgeek666/?hl=en
Now, I know his star has dropped, but 6k seems beyond pathetic even still. The actual content of his feed is pretty terrible, mind, his gross face beside something he just bought.

He had a 24 hour film festival in Austin each year on his birthday that seemed to get quite a few names https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt-Numb-A-Thon
It's kind of fucking nuts that people humoured this guy so much.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 27, 2017, 03:39:27 PM
Now, I know his star has dropped, but 6k seems beyond pathetic even still. The actual content of his feed is pretty terrible, mind

Also if you look at the number of likes his pics are getting, I'm not convinced those 6k are real. If they are real it would mean about 1% of his followers are currently liking the photos he posts. Not sure which is more pathetic.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 27, 2017, 03:39:27 PM
this is a guy who doesn't know how to go offline, it's beyond weird to see someone continuing to tweet and instagram at a point when they should be following legal and PR advice to a tee.

He's now supposedly taking a break from AICN: https://www.avclub.com/harry-knowles-takes-break-from-aint-it-cool-news-amid-s-1818837015 - but "Dannie" is still updating the site.

Phil_A

https://www.facebook.com/notes/billy-donnelly/my-aicn-story-and-knowledge-that-harry-knowles-is-a-lying-scumbag/10154695332846207/

A lengthy facebook post by a former contributor that paints the entire AICN crew in an equally shitty light, it basically states Quint and the others were cowards who were perfectly happy looking the other way regarding Knowles' behaviour as long as they were still getting paid and enjoying the benefits the site afforded them. Not surprising then that they only chose to jump ship once his brand finally became too toxic to be associated with, and they deserve absolutely no credit at all for it.

saltysnacks

I came across a pic of this chap once (not like that!) and was fascinated by his beard. I didn't know anything else about him though; not surprised he's a sex pervert at all.

mobias

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if his site keeps going. He will inevitably have a hardcore fanbase of young male movie nerds who will either not choose to believe the accusations outright or just say its a guys right to behave how he wants. The sort of young men who harassed the female Ghostbusters cast are exactly the sort of guys I can see swarming around to stand up for Knowles.

Dr Rock

In the history of AICN nobody has ever stood up for Knowles about anything.

Funcrusher

This was true when I used to read it at work in the early 2000s. He was pretty much relentlessly mocked in the talkback threads.

Glebe

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 27, 2017, 09:00:25 PMThis was true when I used to read it at work in the early 2000s. He was pretty much relentlessly mocked in the talkback threads.

And still was, up until the talkback comments were suspended a few days ago.

You can see it all over the internet, people who are saying they dislike Knowles are supporting him and saying things like it was 20 years ago, not real molestation, etc. It's the kind of story that utter cunts are going to flock towards. You also see things like this from people in the industry

https://twitter.com/scottEweinberg/status/912782872720928768

phantom_power

It was pretty suspect when those two fucked off from the site as soon as the accusations dropped. It was clear they were either using it as an excuse to bail, or they knew about what he was like. Both pretty shitty positions to take.

Judging by that article they all seem like a bunch of cunts, which doesn't surprise me at all