Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SNES Mini

Started by buntyman, September 26, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on September 28, 2017, 09:46:14 AM
...and is this where his obsession with building a wall comes from? Mexico has some great free-kick takers.

+1 K for that!! :-D

Lee Van Cleef

So, a shit load of these up on Facebook Marketplace/eBay for £110-£130.

buntyman

They must have made a lot more of these than the NES then as i'm sure people were punting the NES on ebay for £200+ when they first came out.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on September 29, 2017, 11:39:30 AM
So, a shit load of these up on Facebook Marketplace/eBay for £110-£130.

Aye – it's been funny to watch how the scalper price has been falling considerably.

If you skip back a couple of weeks or so, people were offering it for £150+ - some were trying to flog it for nearly £200. Turns out that people aren't snapping them up at that price.

However, on eBay, the actual cash people are willing to stump up is a lot lower – a shade under £125 is the highest I've seen, but that's come down a lot. From what I've seen on the auctions, around £100 is pretty much what I've been seeing that people are willing to stump up.

Just had a quick check that's the case now but I suspect that this won't be for too long – if you look what happened to the NES Mini, where stock was a lot more constrained, the price people were willing to pay fell at a consistent rate.

With the SNES Mini, there has been greater stock and Nintendo has promised more units will be released. John Lewis announced stock the other day, which was quickly snapped up but it reflects more stock becoming available – e.g. the Nintendo Store had stock a few days ago, IIRC.

A recent teardown shows that SNES and NES share some of the same components, which gives some production advantages. Nintendo has said it will be re-releasing the NES Mini again next year and it will be producing more of this one, which I think will pan out.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: buntyman on September 29, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
They must have made a lot more of these than the NES then as i'm sure people were punting the NES on ebay for £200+ when they first came out.

Well, they tried selling it for that much, but it didn't work – pretty sure that a bit over £150 was top whack, but most went under that and as I mention above, this has been falling consistently over time. When I last checked, £80-90 was the average price.

You're right about increased stock. Also, Nintendo have been very vocal about not paying scalper prices as it's making more (plus, the NES Mini) which has been covered a lot, including papers like the Mirror so that message has gotten out.

Also, my impression is that more retailers are selling them this time and that the release of stock has been staggered more.

Sebastian Cobb

They're pretty cool but it seems a bit pointless when I've got an actual snes and jailbroken wii in my loft.

madhair60

Absolute killer list of games though innit. Jesus it's good.

Contra III: The Alien Wars™ - amazing
Donkey Kong Country™ - amazing
EarthBound™ - supposed to be excellent, not played it much
Final Fantasy III - amazing
F-ZERO™ - not a fan, but beloved
Kirby™ Super Star - amazing
Kirby's Dream Course™ - a bit shite
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™ - not a fan, but beloved
Mega Man® X - amazing
Secret of Mana - a bit shite
Star Fox™ - not a fan, but beloved
Star Fox™ 2 - dunno
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting - amazing
Super Castlevania IV™ - amazing
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts® - amazing
Super Mario Kart™ - amazing and also only good Mario Kart until 8
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™ - amazing
Super Mario World™ - amazing
Super Metroid™ - not a fan, but beloved
Super Punch-Out!!™ - a bit shite
Yoshi's Island™ - amazingly amazing and actively perfect, actually

Killer

hewantstolurkatad

Was the NES minis resale price crazy from the get go or did it ramp up near Christmas?

Ignatius_S

Looking at eBay sales today, most look  to have sold for £120-130, so higher than I thought – some a bit cheaper (e.g. £105). Quite a few haven't sold and those have a high starting price (e.g. £140).

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 29, 2017, 04:00:31 PM
Was the NES minis resale price crazy from the get go or did it ramp up near Christmas?

From the beginning – I have a feeling that pricing remained fairly static until after Christmas, but don't recall there was any spike because of Christmas. By the time it launched, demand grossly outstripped supply and there was plenty of panicked desperation.

biggytitbo

Yoshi's Island is the best 16-bit game ever made imo so it's worth it just for that.

biggytitbo

I know a lot of people already suspected it but apparently the insides of the SNES mini are pretty much identical to the NES version. Would probably be the case with an N64 one too.

Shay Chaise

I just went to the supermarket to get some stuff, and was shocked to see one of these. Last one in the shop. Bought it, don't really want it though. I'll sell it to a mate at cost price next week. Check out your shit supermarkets is my advice then.

buntyman

I can confirm the home button on a Wii classic controller acts as the reset button

Cloud

Just saw one at CeX for £150

Erm, pass!

I.D. Smith

Quote from: madhair60 on September 29, 2017, 03:35:42 PM
Secret of Mana - a bit shite

Nooooooooooooooooooo! But to be honest, you might be right. Secret of Mana got a lot of bonus points from me at the time for being a "Zelda" game that was 3 player, so maybe if I go back and play it now the scales will fall from my eyes. I do have a fondness for Secret of Evermore too, although that goes a bit shite towards the end.

Shay Chaise

The cables are ludicrously short. I'll be taking this back.

biggytitbo

A c64 mini is following on the coat tails of this https://thec64.com/

A mini version of any classic system would be good. I'd like to see an mini amiga with shadow of the beast, gods, James pond, Jimmy white, speedball 2, turrican etc

Shay Chaise

I would be most interested in a mini Amiga, definitely.

Again, I can't believe how short the cables are on this thing. It is literally unplayable in my house. I'd be sitting on the floor about two feet away from a sixty inch screen. Fucking clown school mate. Are they out of their fucking minds? Not everyone lives in a Japanese wanking pod you thick fucking cunts.

Replies From View

I'd like to jump on the C64 bandwagon and have a mini ZX Spectrum with a keyboard too fucking small to use, please! 

It's good that the mini C64 has a USB port so that you can slot a correctly-sized keyboard into the side of it.  Imagine that - a proper sized keyboard plugged into a miniature keyboard.  We're really moving forwards.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shay Chaise on September 29, 2017, 10:39:37 PM
Again, I can't believe how short the cables are on this thing. It is literally unplayable in my house. I'd be sitting on the floor about two feet away from a sixty inch screen. Fucking clown school mate. Are they out of their fucking minds? Not everyone lives in a Japanese wanking pod you thick fucking cunts.

I gather this was the case for the NES mini.  Surprised they've not fixed that particular issue for the SNES one.

biggytitbo

The Snes one is a bit longer, but still absurdly short. Nintendo are mad alright.

Lee Van Cleef

Controllers are alright for me just sitting on the floor (as you fucking should be when you're reliving your childhood) in front of the 40" TV. Played some Mario Kart, that was a hoot!

Shay Chaise

It looks like a great machine but I realised I own pretty much all the games on VC and I can play wirelessly on Wii U or in handheld on the 3DS. I don't know why I got this thing. I'm not sitting on the floor because I have a bad back and I'm 37.

buntyman

I bought some cheap extension cables for the nes controllers for a couple of quid which also work well on this

colacentral

It's weird how much better the games look on this than on any other emulators I've seen them on, including the Wii and Wii U. I can't quite put my finger on why. The responsiveness is also subtly improved, and again it's such a slight difference as to make me feel like it could all just be in my mind. But to take Donkey Kong Country as an example, I last played it on the Wii and was devastated at how ugly it looked and how badly it had aged; but when playing a bit of it on the Snes Mini this evening I was taken back to how it looked and felt to me playing it as a child. The actual Snes controller probably helped quite a bit too.

I still don't like the lack of variety and focus on single player games here. A puzzle game and a beat em up are badly needed I think.

weekender

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 29, 2017, 10:45:24 PM
Nintendo are mad alright.

What do you mean by "Nintendo are mad alright"? 

Please expand on this point, because otherwise it looks like you've posted the word equivalent of the picture of a bollock.

weekender

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 29, 2017, 05:41:00 PM
Yoshi's Island is the best 16-bit game ever made imo so it's worth it just for that.

Source please.

Kelvin

Quote from: weekender on September 30, 2017, 12:56:55 AM
What do you mean by "Nintendo are mad alright"? 

Please expand on this point, because otherwise it looks like you've posted the word equivalent of the picture of a bollock.

I presume he means that Nintendo continue to make utterly bizarre and inexplicable decisions, as they have done for decades now. They're notorious for making business choices that make no sense to anyone outside the company; counter-intuitive marketing, inexplicably awkward and alienating design quirks. Things that no other company in the industry would do, because it would seem so transparently counter-productive.

Replies From View

Quote from: weekender on September 30, 2017, 01:01:06 AM
Source please.

biggytitbo likes his franchises to have child versions of the main characters, don't forget.  See for example his yearn for The Doctor to be played by an 8 year old boy in clammy pyjamas.

Johnny Textface

Nintendo: probably quite smart really... SNES Classic teardown reveals why Nintendo discontinued the NES Classic

https://www.techspot.com/news/71184-snes-classic-teardown-reveals-why-nintendo-discontinued-nes.html