Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SNES Mini

Started by buntyman, September 26, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If the NES is re-released for fifty quid again I might get one this time. I wasn't fussed and passed on the opportunity last time.

It helps seeing how cute the SNES is under the telly. He needs his baby brother if a N64 Mini ever arrives.

colacentral

I don't know how I so effortlessly beat Ghouls and Ghosts as a child. I have a memory of me and my brother taking the piss out of our dad trying to play it and not being able to get past the first stage, and I remember wondering why he was having such trouble with it. Fast forward to now and I'm as bad at it as he was.

Replies From View

Quote from: colacentral on September 30, 2017, 02:35:02 PM
I don't know how I so effortlessly beat Ghouls and Ghosts as a child. I have a memory of me and my brother taking the piss out of our dad trying to play it and not being able to get past the first stage, and I remember wondering why he was having such trouble with it. Fast forward to now and I'm as bad at it as he was.

Lol ageing.

biggytitbo

I could never get past the 2nd level when I was 12 and I still can't now.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 30, 2017, 03:04:00 PM
I could never get past the 2nd level when I was 12 and I still can't now.

Lol not even ageing.

Hat FM

am i missing something or could the mini snes not have had wireless controllers?

I walked past CEX today, spotted two SNES Mini's in the window, step closer to look at the price.

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 30, 2017, 07:19:49 PM
I walked past CEX today, spotted two SNES Mini's in the window, step closer to look at the price.

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS.

That's how much the second hand ones are on Amazon as well.

Gioteck 3m Extension Cable for Nintendo Classic Miniby Gioteck £3.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6844954

None in my area.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on October 01, 2017, 12:45:35 AM
Gioteck 3m Extension Cable for Nintendo Classic Miniby Gioteck £3.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6844954

Maybe they should start stocking some Super Nintendos to go with them.

brat-sampson

If I could walk out and grab one of these for £70 I'd probably give it serious thought, but seeing as where I am (Cz) the price is bizarrely set at like £120 and it's out of stock everywhere reasonable in Europe, they can get to fuck.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 29, 2017, 10:31:04 PM
A c64 mini is following on the coat tails of this https://thec64.com/

A mini version of any classic system would be good. I'd like to see an mini amiga with shadow of the beast, gods, James pond, Jimmy white, speedball 2, turrican etc

That's pretty cool, but ultimately probably going to be a rip off given c64's are still relatively cheap (and there's loads of peripherals about for using sd cards) or you could just by a raspberry pi and put retropie on it.

They even do a wee case for it:

Gurke and Hare

A mini Amiga would be great, but literally everyone would be angry about the list of games on it unless there were about a thousand of them.

Shay Chaise

Just sold mine to my mate for cost price. He came over and we played on it for two hours. It was actually amazing and I'm sad I said I'd sell it. On the other hand, it was great because it was multiplayer maybe. On the other hand, all I want to do now is play Link to the Past and Secret of Mana all night with some cocoa. On the other hand, I can do that on the Wii U.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 01, 2017, 04:41:17 PM
A mini Amiga would be great, but literally everyone would be angry about the list of games on it unless there were about a thousand of them.

The Amiga is different from other systems in that emulation is an absolute pain in the arse to work out.  At least it was last time I checked many years ago.

biggytitbo

Still can be yeah, thats why a mini plug and play box would be so great, instant access to sensi, gods, chaos engine, james pond etc etc

Gurke and Hare

They could bring out a mini ST too, to lie there sad and unloved on the shelf.

NoSleep

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 02, 2017, 01:36:30 PM
They could bring out a mini ST too, to lie there sad and unloved on the shelf.

Llamatron was written for the ST, so as long as that's included, it won't be sad and unloved.

Hollow

I can't be arsed with this...now the N64 mini would tempt me if I could in anyway afford such a pointless purchase.

Hollow

Quote from: NoSleep on October 02, 2017, 03:20:19 PM
Llamatron was written for the ST, so as long as that's included, it won't be sad and unloved.

I love Minter...the mans a fucking legend.

Rolf Lundgren

Got one of these last week and loving it. Rattled my way through Donkey Kong Country which was just as good as I remembered it and now on Super Mario World. Haven't tried most of the other games yet but did play Contra III which is incredibly unforgiving. You can literally get a Game Over within 10 seconds of playing. I've finally got to Stage 3 which took a lot of trialing but even more erroring. 

I've noticed on Mario Kart that the trick of hitting accelerate between the lights changing has no effect like it used to. Is that just me and my rubbish timing though?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hollow on October 03, 2017, 12:40:25 AM
I can't be arsed with this...now the N64 mini would tempt me if I could in anyway afford such a pointless purchase.

The gamecube emulates pretty well so a gamecube mini the size of a rubic cube should be possible. Most of those games were less than 1gb so you could easily get 20 games on a 16gb rom - double dash, sunshine, monkey ball, metroid prime, eternal darkness, wind waker, pikmin, fzero gx, rogue squadron 2, smash brothers, RE4, that could be absolutely amazing and really do an underrated system justice.

Replies From View

Surprised there's any need for a mini version of anything after the SNES.  As far as I can tell they were all just less-good versions of what you have today, that 3D, first person kind of game, except riddled with polygons because the technology wasn't good enough yet.  Whereas the SNES presented a style of game that went completely out of fashion with the advent of 3D, so nostalgia and revisiting has some sense to it.

hewantstolurkatad

The lack of any serious efforts from just about anyone to make games which evoke the primitive polygons of the "32 bit era" kinda highlights the dropoff in nostalgia quite a lot imo. Personally if I started making 3D games I think I'd get pretty fixated on mimicking that style but I imagine it's the kind of thing on tools like Unity and Unreal where you'd need an absurd amount of skill to strip the elements back to something resembling that time as opposed to just looking like a bad unity game.

colacentral

I think anything up to the Wii is fair enough to release as a mini console if it presents the games in HD. My memory of the N64 was that, although I loved it at the time, it was probably too shite for one of these releases; but actually, when you start thinking about the best games for it, it's a pretty great list:

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
The Mario Partys
Smash Bros
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Wetrix
Wave Race 64
F-Zero X
Mischief Makers
Yoshi's Story
Kirby 64
Zelda: OOT
Zelda: MM
Star Fox 64

That's excluding most of the Rare games, as they're already on Rare Replay and I don't know if anything beyond maybe Banjo-Kazooie would be something Nintendo would pursue for licensing. And same for the Star Wars stuff like Rogue Squadron and Episode I Racer.

Kelvin

Also, it's not just about these games "holding up". It's about being able to have a collection of the most iconic and/or best games from that console. If they don't all hold up, so be it. Many of them shaped the genres for a decade or more.   

Replies From View

How many 'bits' are consoles up to these days?  And why must they be in multiples of 8?

NoSleep

They're in multiples of two, but eight is the lowest multiple of two that makes sense to use to write a game as it it gives you a range of 0-127.

biggytitbo

I don't think bits are very useful as a way of boasting about how powerful a console is anymore. The PS2 was 128bit when PCs were 32bit but many times more powerful for instance.

NoSleep

They don't keep making processors with "more bits" in them anymore, just stack more processors together in a unit.