Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Optical illusions

Started by pancreas, September 26, 2017, 11:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 03:02:33 PM
Indeed.  The chair legs to the left of the photo look like they're jutting out at an angle.  If you think that this looks normal, then quite frankly, you need to go to Specsavers.

Just looks instantly like somone had a chair as a brush in a paint program and dragged it in a line. Doesn't look stacked.  Reminds me of Jerry andruss' stuff:

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 25, 2018, 05:05:47 PM
Just looks instantly like somone had a chair as a brush in a paint program and dragged it in a line...

That's a great way of describing it.  Have a biscuit and a pat on the head, my man.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 05:31:45 PM
That's a great way of describing it.  Have a biscuit and a pat on the head, my man.

I mean because that's exactly what it is, my brain didn't double-take looking at that so it doesn't seem like an optical illusion. It just looks like the same image pasted over itself multiple times, not even looking like something that's stacked, and if you want images of things that are stacked you can take a gander in the PHWOAR!!!!! thread knowwhatImeanrightguys?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 25, 2018, 05:33:56 PM
I mean because that's exactly what it is, my brain didn't double-take looking at that so it doesn't seem like an optical illusion. It just looks like the same image pasted over itself multiple times, not even looking like something that's stacked...

Wait, are you saying that you literally believe that to be a photoshop job?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 03:02:33 PM
The chair legs to the left of the photo look like they're jutting out at an angle.  If you think that this looks normal, then quite frankly, you need to go to Specsavers.

No, I'm familiar enough with that kind of chair for my brain to know that the legs are wider apart at the feet than at the top,  so I just see a flat construction rather than the weird-angled box shape you can see. I mean, I can see the box shape if I try, and making the picture smaller seems to make it easier, but it's not my default interpretation.

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 25, 2018, 06:52:59 PM
No, I'm familiar enough with that kind of chair for my brain to know that the legs are wider apart at the feet than at the top,  so I just see a flat construction rather than the weird-angled box shape you can see. I mean, I can see the box shape if I try, and making the picture smaller seems to make it easier, but it's not my default interpretation.

Ah, I see, or rather I don't see as you see because my puny eyes are not as advanced as your own.  You're like the James Bond of chair stacking.

Quote from: Replies From View on June 25, 2018, 06:56:49 PM
Achieved like this, fascinatingly:

Coo!  That's very clever, that is.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 06:32:31 PM
Wait, are you saying that you literally believe that to be a photoshop job?

I thought it was. So I suppose it did optically fool me. It was because I was looking at the legs on the left hand side and not the right where you can see them not overlapping.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 08:30:07 PM
Coo!  That's very clever, that is.

Jerry Andrus was a smart dude and a very lateral thinking magician, some of his illusions and magic tricks are outstanding and fooled the heck out of me: The Mind Of Jerry Andrus

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 25, 2018, 08:30:07 PM
Ah, I see, or rather I don't see as you see because my puny eyes are not as advanced as your own.  You're like the James Bond of chair stacking.

Yeah, I'll take that over the more mundane explanation of familiarity.

Spudgun

This is my new favourite video on the whole of the internet for more reasons than I can count:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkVOIJAaWO0

Make sure you keep watching for the bits with the matchbox and the ruler - it's amazing that even when it's explained in detail what's going on, your brain still refuses to process it correctly.

Isnt Anything

weirdly with it 'naked' and with the matchbox i could just about with extreme effort convince my brain to see what was really happening .... but once he put the ruler through, which shouldve helped goddamnit, i could only see the super-weird passing-through illusion.

i would love to see it repeated WITHOUT the 3D colouring to see how powerful it still was then. as he implied near the end its probably key to the whole thing.

Isnt Anything

just showed it to Mrs Anything and we watched it together on her 10 inch tablet rather than me on my dinky phone earlier.

interesting outcomes -

1. on the bigger screen i found it a lot easier to see the unadorned window rotating than i had on my phone, im guessing there must be some minor details that make it more obvious when you have a bigger picture.

2. she saw the unadorned window rotating right away, she never saw it going back and forth. this didnt entirely surprise me as she has a somewhat unusual brain (dyslexic and a little autistic) so the fact she processed it more literally kinda makes a weird sense.

3. even with the matchbox she STILL saw it as rotating although it was a little harder for her.

4. but when the ruler was introduced then, like me earlier, she couldnt fix the illusion and so for the first time she was forced to see it go back and forth and so when the weird thing happened she was utterly freaked out, so much so that she had to stop watching it as it was wrecking her head.

A fascinating illusion this, in that it seems the more clues you put in to try to defeat it, the harder it is to defeat !!

Still think SO much of it is down to the 3D colouring though.

Johnny Yesno

Yes, that's a fascinating illusion. Thanks for posting it Spudgun.

NurseNugent

Can someone explain the horses one to me, as all I see are horses.

Cerys

They look like a couple of naked blokes standing in a bucket.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on September 19, 2018, 01:04:53 AM
They look like a couple of naked blokes standing in a bucket.

Even sharing a quiet "pissing" moment of some kind.

neardark

Can't work out what the fuck is going on with that chair one at all.

Replies From View

Quote from: neardark on September 19, 2018, 08:02:24 AM
Can't work out what the fuck is going on with that chair one at all.

It's an entire stack of them.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Replies From View on September 19, 2018, 07:04:58 PM
It's an entire stack of them.

Ah, see? I am vindicated by that rotating window illusion. Your brain sees what it expects to see, and I have seen a fuck load of stacked chairs in my life.

I am not proud of this, btw.

Johnny Yesno

Turns out that Ames Window video is a rip-off of this:

Optical Illusion Window Frame. Archive film 99872: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPCOmAAL5E

And that is a tribute act to this (which has an equally brain-melting elevated view):

Ames Visual Illusions (1951): https://youtu.be/W_5wpPxCcyw?t=8m18s

Replies From View

This week in Clipping Boxes to the Sides of Stuff:  a rotating window thing.

gib

Cerys

Took me ages, but finally spotted it.  At least I think I have.

Twit 2

Just a bit up and to the right of where the branch crosses the pile of earth.

bgmnts

Fuck me you'd have no chance would you? Even if you had a bazooka in one hand and an AK47 in the other, it would just wait there until you look away for a second.

The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Twed

No bgmnts you may not fuck the leopard.

St_Eddie

I finally spied it, but I had to look up a higher resolution version of the photo on the Internet.  Coming back here and now knowing where it is, I still can't see it in the photo posted within this thread.  I'm posting this as a fair warning to other forum users, so that they don't waste their time looking for a leopard that they may not have the monitor resolution to spot.

Johnny Yesno

That's a rubbish name for a leopard.

Bazooka

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 16, 2019, 02:25:10 AM
I finally spied it, but I had to look up a higher resolution version of the photo on the Internet.  Coming back here and now knowing where it is, I still can't see it in the photo posted within this thread.  I'm posting this as a fair warning to other forum users, so that they don't waste their time looking for a leopard that they may not have the monitor resolution to spot.

I found it on a Nokia 3210, piece of piss.