Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:35:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Golf Story

Started by Shay Chaise, September 28, 2017, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

This is out today on the Switch.

It's a combination of golf game and JRPG. Probably gonna be GOTY. Anyone else getting this guaranteed belter?

Gurke and Hare

I bet it's not as good as Sid Meier's Sim Golf.

Jobey

Twed

Damn, this sounds great but is nowhere to be seen on the US store.

brat-sampson

Definitely buying. Young Me gave sooooo much to the GBC Mario Golf.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Haven't finished Mario Rabbids yet and still playing plenty of Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight so I really shouldn't buy this. Probably will anyway.

brat-sampson

This is fun. It's a light breezy Golf/RPG hybrid and it's fun. The writing's pretty funny and I like the animated text/boxes. The golfing itself feels good for the most part, but I do wish greens were a bit more complex. There's an arrow giving an overall slope, but I don't think I'm going to be changing angles to compensate for slopes or curves or anything, which is a shame. Not that the reticule shows the impact point, so you have to take bounces and rolls into account yourself, but I feel like I've gotten the hang of it. They could do a better job with explaining some stuff, e.g. when levelling, I don't really know what I'm doing...

Twed

Played this all day, it's amazing.

Thursday

Just started playing and nobody mentioned the crucial aspect that this is an Australia simulator.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Thursday on October 01, 2017, 10:46:20 AM
Just started playing and nobody mentioned the crucial aspect that this is an Australia simulator.

SUCKED IN!

Thursday

Yeah I don't really understand how this levelling up thing works. It's not as striaghtforward as putting more points into everything so...what? And it doesn't appear to be making a major difference anyway.

*edit*

Actually it's not as complicated as I thought.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Thursday on October 01, 2017, 03:50:15 PM
Yeah I don't really understand how this levelling up thing works. It's not as striaghtforward as putting more points into everything so...what? And it doesn't appear to be making a major difference anyway.

*edit*

Actually it's not as complicated as I thought.

I'm puzzled by it too, please could you explain or provide a link?

Twed

Unfortunately a game breaking bug has rendered my save file impossible to progress in, unless they patch it.

Thursday

Not sure what to do on Bermuda Isles at the moment. I either need to find a guy's wallet or get Max Yards to play a round?

Twed

Bermuda Isle is a coalescing series of fetch quests. Do everything you possibly can and it will fall into place.

Thursday

The only one's I don't think I've done are, find crab meat for someone. And some putting islands challenge (the one you need flippers for) Which is really hard.

Twed

ZR while putting. Didn't realise that myself for a while. With other clubs Z shortens your shots.

Twed

BTW that entire challenge is optional. Find the crab meat in the barrels as the character instructs.

madhair60

Is this like the old Game Boy Colour/Advance Mario Golf games?

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on October 02, 2017, 08:59:01 PM
BTW that entire challenge is optional. Find the crab meat in the barrels as the character instructs.

I've just realised you can throw golf balls at everyone

brat-sampson

Quote from: madhair60 on October 02, 2017, 09:07:29 PM
Is this like the old Game Boy Colour/Advance Mario Golf games?

Kinda yeah. Enough to have made me buy it blind. It's a quirky, charming RPG based around a fairly sold golfing game. I'm loving the writing and the feel of it so far and have only really been to four of the areas. I like the way it's sending me back and forth along with the plot too, makes it feel like a longer game without outstaying its welcome. It's got some unfortunate quirks/bugs but as the first main effort from an essentially unknown pair of Aussie devs, made in a year, it's realllllly impressive.

I thought I had a bug in Birdland with one of the egg tasks, but it turns out there were two sets of red birds and you had to be going for the right one. I've also become trapped beside my bed twice now but a quick return to menu/reload fixed it both times.

brat-sampson

I finished this in 'more than 15 hours' (so 15-20). A lovely little thing, very well-written, bit of a difficulty spike when you reach the final course but otherwise, yeah. It still impresses me that before release I'd seen maybe 2m of footage of this from trailers but could already tell it would be at minimum 'good'. Luckily it was more than that.

Also, it has the best use of HD rumble of any game I've played so  far, bar none. You can *feel* what surface your ball landed on, and if you knock the ball oob, it somehow uses just the rumble to make like this slide whistle noise. Superb. Anyway, now to delve deeper into the Valley, while still dreaming of greens and sausage rolls.

Just finished this, really great game and ended up spending about 20 hours on it. The actual golf isn't too involved but fun enough, the main draw is the world around it, full of humour and unusual moments and ideas.

Really looking forward to the follow up, 'Sports Story', whenever it comes out.

bgmnts