Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fitness Forever - 'Tonight'

Started by Crabwalk, September 29, 2017, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

I've raved about Fitness Forever on Oscillations before, and I know they've picked up a few fans here over the years. Their music has brought me more pure joy than any artist since I was a teenager. Their sound combines elements of so much that I love, like Marcos Valle, The Beach Boys, Morricone, Axelrod, Gainsbourg, the Super Furries and Gal Costa, along with the great Italian artists that they've introduced me to like Piero Umiliani and Lucio Battisti.

Anyway, their new album is called Tonight and is out today on Elefant Records.

If you find the promise of divine Italian retro-glamour contained in that sleeve enticing, let me assure you that the record delivers in spades.

It's too early to say if it's their third masterpiece in a row, following on from the stellar indie-pop of 2009 debut Personal Train and 2012's funk/lounge/spacejazz odyssey Cosmos, but the first few spins have exceeded my expectations, even after a 4 year wait for this record.

This time even more groove has been injected, and the album is packed with full-on Italo disco stormers and expansive, glossy funk. The whole record is again beautifully produced by the genius behind the group, Carlos Valderrama (not that one) and was mastered by the guy behind 'Random Access Memories'. They're not pissing about here, they're looking to make a record that sounds as good as 'Thriller', 'Aja or 'Melody Nelson'.

Here are a few select tracks, but the album is beautifully varied and demands to be played in full and loudly DO IT NOW:

Canadian Ranger

Port Ghalib

Arbre Magique

Dance Boys

I mean, that's 4 out of 9 tracks and I've not even included two of the singles there. Again, everything on this album is infectious and gorgeous.

Aaaand here are a few classics from the back catalogue for the uninitiated:

D'Estate

Laura

Monica

Cosmos

In another dimension this band would be MASSIVE. We are not in that dimension.

Crabwalk

24 hours and several plays later, I think this is a third consecutive masterpiece.

I can't think of many other band whose first 3 albums I have loved as much. Dexys come close. Pavement, perhaps. Not many.

They were initially signed to EMI but parted ways before releasing anything. I wonder if it's the Italian language that has blocked any commercial success or international interest. That said, they're a cult concern at best in their native Italy, so it can't all boil down to that.

It just completely puzzles/pains me that such a stellar band with so many amazing, hook-stuffed songs can be so utterly ignored.

Rocket Surgery

Shit band name, for one thing.

The one thing I've heard from them, can't remember anything about the tune but I put my foot through the radio and sent Tom Ravenscroft the bill when he said who it was by.

Thanks for the starter pack, I like what you've shared and will check out the album as a whole.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on September 30, 2017, 11:33:08 PM
Shit band name, for one thing.

The one thing I've heard from them, can't remember anything about the tune but I put my foot through the radio and sent Tom Ravenscroft the bill when he said who it was by.

Yeah, I have mentioned them in an earlier shit band names thread. Thing is, I was hooked on their music immediately so I was able to look past its English-as-a-foreign-language clumsiness straightaway.

If I remember correctly the band was started when the main songwriter Carlos had his heart broken. He was a bit overweight at the time and decided that love was fleeting but fitness, forever. Or something like that. Anyway, it's quite endearing in that context.

Crabwalk

Quote from: davetheschizophrenic on September 30, 2017, 11:47:59 PM
Thanks for the starter pack, I like what you've shared and will check out the album as a whole.

Aw, that's great. Hope you enjoy it.

Crabwalk

They've just announced that the title track has been made 'Single of the Month' on MTV Italy.

VINDICATION.

Crabwalk

New single 'Baby Love' is amazing, just like everything on the album.

lazyhour

I'm a HUGE fan of Fitness Forever, and ordered this'un on vinyl, but a few spins and it hasn't grabbed me yet. It's pretty smooth and 'backgroundy' compared to their previous LPs. It lacks the quirkiness and the BIG POP TUNES style of their past stuff. Absolutely no doubt it will grow on me though!

Crabwalk

It's definitely more geared to the dancefloor (and radio) than the preceding records, but their aptitude for cramming memorable hooks into every corner of each song is intact. It's just a bit more groove-orientated this time around and, as you say, a touch less quirky.

It did land with me from the first play but hopefully it'll click with you soon. I've got the vinyl too and at loud volume especially it sounds incredible.  I think it's sold out now (which Cosmos never did, distressingly).

'Canadian Ranger' is perhaps their BIGGEST POP TUNE ever. 'Cosa Mi Hai Detto' has been a real slow burner and the chorus is now probably the dominant ear worm from the record. Pure 'Aja'-esque sumptuousness. Surely you've fallen for the irresistible 'Port Ghalib'?

Keep persevering!

Brunette Romana 2

Yeah!! Thanks for the heads up Crabwalk!

Crabwalk

Let me know what you think when you hear it!

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Can't believe I didn't see this thread and haven't listened to the album.

I loved Cosmos but never really got into the other album.

Also can't believe you missed Lui off your list in the OP. Great song and a great video (although I might just be saying that as I am a little bit obsessed with the lady in it).

https://youtu.be/xeXGMa6xu7k

Crabwalk

Ah, 'Lui' is indeed a brilliant song. One of the ones I wish I spoke Italian to understand. Beyond knowing 'lui' to mean 'him' I've no idea what the song's about and wonder if it shares the story of the video? Probably not.

Crabwalk

New video for 'Dance Boys' released today:

https://youtu.be/BRYT3hrCUYw

That's four (fairly shoestring but charming) videos for songs from Tonight. I guess Elefant Records are stumping up on the back of the relative success of the title track in the hope they can make a proper breakthrough.

Christ, they deserve it.

imitationleather

Can't believe it's taken me so long to listen to these lot. This is exactly my jam.

alan nagsworth

Yeah I've been aloofly glancing over this thread and your other mentions of FF for a while now (well, not really, but sometimes for unknown reasons it takes me ages to get into stuff, which is why I was a metalhead for some ten years before I realised how good the first three Metallica albums were), but having just listened to Canadian Ranger with its wonderful video, I can safely say I'M IN. Will be checking the rest of the album out today!

Also I don't think Fitness Forever is a bad name at all, I think it's cute.

Crabwalk

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 21, 2017, 09:44:18 AM
Yeah I've been aloofly glancing over this thread and your other mentions of FF for a while now (well, not really, but sometimes for unknown reasons it takes me ages to get into stuff, which is why I was a metalhead for some ten years before I realised how good the first three Metallica albums were), but having just listened to Canadian Ranger with its wonderful video, I can safely say I'M IN. Will be checking the rest of the album out today!

Also I don't think Fitness Forever is a bad name at all, I think it's cute.

Ha, I remember you giving me positive karma in olden times for posting this:

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 19, 2015, 04:53:39 PM
A europhoric celebration of summer, that bakes early Super Furry Animals and Stereolab together under the Italian sun:

Fitness Forever - 'D'Estate'

http://youtu.be/btZp3DJfcHo

I am nothing if not a one-issue poster these days, for which I DO NOT APOLOGISE

Crabwalk

Quote from: imitationleather on December 20, 2017, 05:54:13 PM
Can't believe it's taken me so long to listen to these lot. This is exactly my jam.

Soooo many people would have this response if given the opportunity. I'm certain of it.

Morrison Lard

Crabwalk, your missus gonna do the decent thing and let you watch Eurovision with us loosers next year or what?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on December 21, 2017, 08:25:08 PM
Ha, I remember you giving me positive karma in olden times for posting this:

I am nothing if not a one-issue poster these days, for which I DO NOT APOLOGISE

Haha, Christ on a bike! I do remember this now. Oh boy, I'm in for a treat with this band.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Morrison Lard on December 21, 2017, 08:34:41 PM
Crabwalk, your missus gonna do the decent thing and let you watch Eurovision with us loosers next year or what?

I can't miss the final again. I just can't. At any cost.

Crabwalk

Just a heads up to all you Fitness-heads that Elefant Records are reissuing some albums on vinyl and Personal Train, Fitness Forever's superlative 2009 debut, is one of them. And they're tacking on the excellent 'Mondo Fitness' single as a bonus.

Quote from:  Elefant Record's entirely correct but poorly translated blurbSometimes, looking back can bring us a tremendous surprise. Time passes and plays with our memory. If we think about the more recent releases from the Italian group FITNESS FOREVER – super danceable albums like "Cosmos" and "Tonight", marvelous hits like "Canadian Ranger", "Tonight" and "Lui" – and suddenly we start to sift through the memories, we are suddenly hit with the freshness and immediacy of that debut called "Personal Train" that won us over so completely back in 2009, with its fresh, sunny, Mediterranean airs, far from the nocturnal, urban spirit of some of their more recent songs.

That's why, among other reasons, we wanted to bring back such an incredible album as a part of our collection of reissues in honor of Elefant Records' 25th anniversary. To be able to enjoy again the perfect pop bull's eyes that "Probabilmente", "Bacharach" and "L'anarchica Pugliese" are, because "Vacanze A Settembre" breathes Italy with a vitality that raises even the lowest spirits, because "Je Je Jeox" and "Quando Ho Tempo" make clear all the marvelous lounge music albums Carlos Valderrama's crew could have made, because "Se Come Te" gave us a peak at what path the group was going to take (ah, how clearly we can see things with hindsight), and for a million reasons more, many of which are tied to scenes of your lives that these songs are part of the soundtrack of. We can think of so many.

What's more, this is the perfect opportunity to recover the two songs that were included in the now out of print "Mondo Fitness EP". Both the title track and the "Diego Mon Amour" are further proof of the group's nose for pop music, on the one hand, and, on the other, the melodic richness and elegance of the arrangements that FITNESS FOREVER are capable of laying out, which have undoubtedly been an important nuance in the concept of disco music that they developed on subsequent albums.

So, we've got an album plus two extra tracks, released on a precious transparent red vinyl, in a 300-copy numbered, limited edition. What a delight.

If the promise of precious transparent red vinyl doesn't tempt you, here are a few tracks. It's probably the most joyful record I've bought in the last ten years.

Probalimente

Vacanze a Settembre

Mondo Fitness

grassbath

Had literally never heard of this band but halfway through 'Canadian Ranger' and this kind of lush, smooth, futura-1970s pop is right up my street. Can absolutely hear the ties to Aja and Random Access Memories, both of which I love. Those strings!

Thanks for sharing, will be sure to explore further.

Norton Canes

I do like a bit of this breezy 70's-themed lounge disco type stuff. Crabwalk, have you ever heard of Music Go Music? They came out with a phenomenal album called Expressions in 2009 which has a whole load of incredible Abba and Ital-disco influenced songs, most of which are accompanied by impeccably retro videos

Have a listen to Light Of Love or Love Violent Love.

chveik

Crabwalk

Glad more people are discovering them. All three albums are superb but have quite different tones so do delve deeper.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 21, 2018, 02:17:43 PM
I do like a bit of this breezy 70's-themed lounge disco type stuff. Crabwalk, have you ever heard of Music Go Music? They came out with a phenomenal album called Expressions in 2009 which has a whole load of incredible Abba and Ital-disco influenced songs, most of which are accompanied by impeccably retro videos

Have a listen to Light Of Love or Love Violent Love.

Thanks, Music Go Music are new to me so I'll take a listen!

Crabwalk

It's good stuff, that Music Go Music. Like Fitness Forever, their love and adoration of classic hi-fi pop shines through and they use their excellent musicianship as a force for good. They walk the line of pastiche a little at times but have the tunes to get away with it. Have just bought 'Expressions' and am looking firward to hearing more. What's their second record like, Norton?

Norton Canes

A bit underwhelming I'm afraid, a bit by-the-numbers. Missing the kind of brio that made Expressions such a success. It's on YT in its entirety if you want to have a listen. 

Crabwalk

I think I'll wait for 'Expressions' to arrive before delving into that one then, Norton.

Another favourite Italian artist of mine, Giorgio Tuma, is also having his 2009 album My Vocalese Funfair reissued on vinyl by Elefant as part of their 25th anniversary. For fans of Brazilian-tinged softpop this is an absolute treat and I've ordered mine.

It's a gorgeous record with strong hints of Caetano Veloso, Sufjan Stevens, Astrud Gilberto, Stereolab and Nick Drake.

A few tracks to tempt you:

...And Three Parasol Stars
Two Happy Sad Guitars
Astroland By Bus

His latter albums, which include several stunning collaborations with Laetitia Sadier, are brilliant too.