Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Computer Games]Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

Started by skibz, December 22, 2004, 04:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS or PSP?

The DS sounds pretty funky
8 (30.8%)
Nah, the PSP will be better
8 (30.8%)
I'm waiting until there are more games out before I decide
4 (15.4%)
I don't really care about either
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: December 22, 2004, 04:56:43 PM

skibz

Well, they're both out now, the PSP in Japan and the DS in America, although neither have gotten here yet. It 's the first time since the Game Gear that Nintendo has really had any competition in this market, and it's going to be interesting to see how things pan out over the next year or so - especially as most of Ninty's revenue comes from the portable market. It's also (well, in my opinion) quite a radical step forward for gaming, as the DS allows wireless multiplayer games, 'pictochat', a personal organiser, and the potential for entirely new game mechanics due to the touch-screen element; whilst the PSP offers graphics on a par with the PS2, CD-quality sound, and the ability to download games, music and movies.

A comparison between the hardware specs of both

So... do either of these excite you at all? Or do you think handheld gaming is really not all it's cracked up to be?  Personally, I'm looking forward to the DS, because it's doing something that you just can't do with a TV screen, whereas the PSP looks like it's just going to be a cut-down PS2 you can take on the move... Opinions please!

PyramidHead

Quote from: "skibz"Well, they're both out now, the PSP in Japan and the DS in America, although neither have gotten here yet. It 's the first time since the Game Gear that Nintendo has really had any competition in this market, and it's going to be interesting to see how things pan out over the next year or so - especially as most of Ninty's revenue comes from the portable market. It's also (well, in my opinion) quite a radical step forward for gaming, as the DS allows wireless multiplayer games, 'pictochat', a personal organiser, and the potential for entirely new game mechanics due to the touch-screen element; whilst the PSP offers graphics on a par with the PS2, CD-quality sound, and the ability to download games, music and movies.

A comparison between the hardware specs of both

So... do either of these excite you at all? Or do you think handheld gaming is really not all it's cracked up to be?  Personally, I'm looking forward to the DS, because it's doing something that you just can't do with a TV screen, whereas the PSP looks like it's just going to be a cut-down PS2 you can take on the move... Opinions please!

I have to be careful exactly what I say, but I'm involved in the development of "A handheld console not included in your poll" so I've not voted for either!

skibz

Quote from: "PyramidHead"I have to be careful exactly what I say, but I'm involved in the development of "A handheld console not included in your poll" so I've not voted for either!

Hmm... please explain? I'm not too clued up on other hand-held devices, unless it's that Gizmondo thing that no-one seems to know anything about...

I will be purchasing a PSP and the long nights at work will be flying by.

Xander

Conversely, I'm getting a DS. I NEED my Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Mario (if one EVER gets released) games.  If I get those, and nothing else, I shall be very happy indeed.

VorpalSword

Holy fuck! I can play games and never miss basketball practice again?

skibz

Quote from: "Xander"Mario (if one EVER gets released)

Two, in fact: Mario 64 x 4 (the original Mario 64, but with Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi also available as playable characters), and the "New Mario Bros." game that's currently under wraps...

slim

DS for me. Ever since a mate said, "You can play Mario 64 on it.", I was sold.

imitationleather

The PSP sure is priddy.

When is it coming out and how much is it? I heard something about it playing DVDs, is this true?

skibz

Apparently it can play back movies, yes, but as of yet it's not really certain how exactly it's going to work - I'm predicting you'll have to buy an extra disc drive that'll plug into the PSP, as there's no way you'll be able to fit a whole film onto a 1.8gb PSP disc...

Timmay

Cor, this takes me back. My dad bought me my first and last Gameboy during a business trip in Hong Kong before they were out in the UK. I was king of the playground for about a month. Ahh, happy days.

Frinky

I will be getting both, buying one game for each machine, getting bored of it, and wondering why I did it, again.

My colour matched platinum PS2 and GC attest to the fact that I'm a muppet. Even moreso that I traded in a black GC to get the silver one. Sigh.

slim

Quote from: "skibz"I'm predicting you'll have to buy an extra disc drive that'll plug into the PSP, as there's no way you'll be able to fit a whole film onto a 1.8gb PSP disc...
Perhaps they'll just use an MPEG-4 codec? 1.8gb would be plenty enough for a good quality film. It wouldn't surprise me if they released a proprietary codec just for the PSP.

Consignia

Quote from: "slim"
Perhaps they'll just use an MPEG-4 codec? 1.8gb would be plenty enough for a good quality film. It wouldn't surprise me if they released a proprietary codec just for the PSP.

Sony and proprietary seem to go hand in hand. Whilst they seem to develop things for universal use, it seems they end mainly only being used by Sony, such as Memory Sticks, ATRAC, etc.

VegaLA

They both look good but i'm goping to sit this one out for a while, like I usually do and wait to see the quality and quantity of the games. So far the PSP is my fave target.

Rubbish Monkey

PSP for me. Rockstar are making at least 2 PSP games at the moment., a version of Gran Tourismo is also in the works so I read somewhere.

bomb_dog

If you want to play older games and are not fussed about getting the latest thing - forget either of these two and get yourself a GP32. There are tons of emulators for it, including Gameboy, Snes, Megadrive, C64, Spectrum, Atari ST and PC engine.

OK so its been out a short while, but you can get all the games for the emulators free off the net, saving yourself £30 a pop on the newest game.

Lt Plonker

imitationleather

InfiniteFury

Ugly and yet as stylish as solid could possibly be - which seems (marketing-wise) like a good idea. It seems to say "look at the PSP - drop it once and it's scratched and permanently jigged. Use this and you could beat a dog to death and it'll still be good as new...."

It's sort of compact but says "I am reliable" But please, Mario, Zelda, blah blah, I love these games but surely, please, they can come up with something new, something less safe.

That's what gives me the hump with Nintendo, I really think they could compete in consoles as well if they just showed a bit of interest in developing new games.

Being content with only changing the way (ie touch-screen) we play these old franchises will only impress for so long. I used to love Nintendo but they depress the fuck out of me these days. Design a classic game that couldn't exist without the touch-screen please - I really want you to...

Edited to add:

I'm really impressed with the way that Nintendo are taking the idea of "new ways to play games" seriously - they've obviously looked at the EyeToy and gone "that's it, that's how we turn people into gamers" but you could plug electrodes directly into my brain and, it would still be Mario64 which I know inside out. I like the way they're letting Sony & Microsoft cut each other's throats over graphics and memory but fuck me, they ain't half putting up a half-arsed fight. Sorry to go off topic a bit but it's sort of relevant.

BetaKarraTene

You can chop up vegetables in Made in Wario.

That's me sold.

I think those DS screen shots are of the original design. The finalised one doesn't look as bulbous. The only 2 things I've got against the DS is that your can't play your old Gameboy/Colour games on them (so no Kirby's Pinball, Tetris for me) and you can't link up with older Gameboys/Advances so I can't play Bomberman/Pokémon/Zelda Four Swords which seems a bit daft.

InfiniteFury

I have to say on balance those PSP buttons look horrific to use.
They look extremely clicky, unresponsive and (imagine this very high-pitched)
like they go "puuung-ta" when you tap them.

OK, that makes no sense (sorry, I've had a couple but that description made sense in my head). Imagine the low-pitched, clickiness of mobile phone keys going on all around you on a train. I couldn't enjoy playing that device at all. It looks like it would feel totally unresponsive

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "Timmay"Cor, this takes me back. My dad bought me my first and last Gameboy during a business trip in Hong Kong before they were out in the UK. I was king of the playground for about a month. Ahh, happy days.

I too experienced the white heat of juvenile cachet from having a Nintendo game long before anyone else back in 1980-1, also courtesy of a globetrotting pater. I wasn't under any illusions as to how much popularity it would buy me, though: I only took it to school on the last days of term when we were allowed to take games - taking it more often would have limited its impact (and probably got it nicked and/or smashed by one of my more microcephalic classmates).

I won't be opting for either of these for a couple of years yet; since overdosing on videogames generally when I used to be a games journo with JemFred, I generally stay one step behing in my console gaming. I'd rather pay £30 for an N64, 4 controllers and 30+ games, same as I used to wait for albums I liked to be in the sales rather than paying top dollar for them. I've got a couple of linked up second-hand SPs that are looking forward to the plummeting GBA titles! Sure you can play GBA games on a DS, but single-player only... Boo!

Frinky

Quote from: "VorpalSword"Holy fuck! I can play games and never miss basketball practice again?

Not you, you're too poor to own one.

Purple Tentacle

Anything to stop Sony "Games you say? How much money can we make out of these 'games'" 's unstoppable march to total media domination.

Although it DOES feel like I already own one....

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Ugly and yet as stylish as solid could possibly be - which seems (marketing-wise) like a good idea. It seems to say "look at the PSP - drop it once and it's scratched and permanently jigged. Use this and you could beat a dog to death and it'll still be good as new...."
You are Bresker and I claim my £5. Now give it to me before I murder you with a NES controller, the deadliest joypad known to man.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Bah I'd easily go with the PSP just for it's specs if it weren't for it suffering from a 6 hour battery life. Or have they fixed that?
I've yet to see or hear anything involving the touchscreen of the DS that makes it anything more than a gimmick.

I just hope the Sony doesn't give up like so many others on the way, leaving Nintendo free and clear to doss for the rest of eternity.

i wonder how small they could make an original Gameboy now? that would be rather intersting. But that's sort of like my hopes that someday soon someone will make me a mobile phone that has no fancy smancy gimmicks and is tiny as a result. AAah I like saving my pouch space.

imitationleather

Quote from: "Frinky"I will be getting both, buying one game for each machine, getting bored of it, and wondering why I did it, again.

My colour matched platinum PS2 and GC attest to the fact that I'm a muppet. Even moreso that I traded in a black GC to get the silver one. Sigh.

I'm sort of like this, except I imagine I will only be getting the PSP. Oh, the amount of times I've shat hundreds of pounds on technology I only want for five minutes and then spend the rest of the time looking at it and feeling guilty while I think of starving Irish people.

PyramidHead

Quote from: "skibz"There's no way you'll be able to fit a whole film onto a 1.8gb PSP disc...

1.8gb is enough for a VideoCD encoded film and that's 10 year old technology. You can already get a perfectly watchable 2 hour film down to 256mb using DivX or WMV files. Remember that these are small, low resolution screens, not HDTV.

skibz

My bad, I was thinking of a DVD you see... yeah, you wouldn't need it to be as high definition if it's on a small screen. Actually, I just read somewhere today that in Japan they're just starting to offer PSP films for downloading, so maybe that's the plan?