Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cuphead

Started by Moribunderast, September 30, 2017, 11:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

It is good graphics. It is good music. It is hard.

Twed

As long as it doesn't have floaty 90s European license tie-in platformer movement I'll be satisfied.

madhair60

Twed

Been playing this, I like it. I think a lot of its reputation for being difficult is because a lot of people who are daft at learning attack patterns because they've never played a game like this before didn't know what to do.

Twed

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 30, 2017, 02:24:23 PM
I caved, I needed a treat. Soundtrack is wonderful, I haven't ventured beyond the tutorial yet.

I'm using these controls I found on Polygon, and they seem dead on:

A — Jump
X — Shoot
Right bumper — Lock
Right trigger — Ex Shot
Left bumper — Dash
Left trigger — Switch Weapon
Ah, that's exactly what I remapped them to.

Twed

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 02, 2017, 06:25:38 PM
Are people playing on regular or simple? I'm sticking with regular, but I figure it'd be much easier to bang through on simple, get charms and stuff, then tackle regular.
Oooooooh

oooh---oooohhh-oooh!Ooooohh youuuuuuuuuuu!

(just kidding)

After Barry's comment about a stick, I saw a picture of a guy who'd set up an arcade cab with Cuphead running. Damn. I'm going to have to fire up the old stick, I reckon.

Barry Admin

It made a difference for me, or at least felt like the preferred way to play it, but then I do just love the tactile slapping of buttons on an arcade style stick anyway.

Well, it might not be long enough for me to get the stick out, actually. I assumed I was about halfway through but I'm nearer to 80%. One more boss and then the final area, I believe. I'm actually quite pleased in a way because the quality hasn't once dipped. There's absolutely zero filler, either, and I can hardly think of any egregious repetition. Damn, even the patterns are all pretty distinct. I've also enjoyed it more and more throughout. I suspect I'll never 100% it but having got quite decent at certain stages, I can see myself trying for a few S ranks.

It's up there with Rolling Gunner and Sekiro for my GOTY so far.

Yep, this is consistently brilliant throughout. Unless the finale shits the bed (and I'm expecting it to be superb), this will be one of the most high quality all killer games I've ever played. I think it's great how much mileage they get out of very few mechanics. There are plenty of occasions where I'm like 'fuck, they expect me to do that?' and then after a few more goes it's locked in and I'm up against the next hurdle. It's a game that doesn't particularly reward in any way other than seeing the next thing and making you feel good when you manage to execute what you want to do, there's absolutely no power fantasy stuff or making you feel OP or a bad-ass, it's just old fashioned tension and release. I also like that they mix up which phases are toughest and longest. I generally prefer those where the final phase is fairly short and easy but it's really hard to get to, because it definitely feels better to nail the last phase first or second try than to repeat easy stuff and then have a long difficulty spike (like the robot).

Anyone got any favourite stages?

As hard as she was, I personally love the Mermaid on Isle 3. Amazing design and so many cool little animation details. Satisfying patterns with just a hint of RNG to shit you up.

Well, the finale was also exceptionally good. Really nice mix-up and appropriate extra challenge (without spoiling anything). Only two actual stages (you can probably guess versus whom) but a lot going on and some of my favourite artwork and music in the whole thing. The penultimate boss, in particular, is a masterpiece of design. I mean it. I'd be really interested in what other folks think about it once they're done. It's not a very long game but it's the first thing I've basically sat down and mainlined since, ooh, Bloodborne. Thursday evening, Friday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning. Battered.

Having done this and Sekiro in the same month, I guess I can now call myself a true gamer. I was just born twenty years early or I'd be making mad bank on Twitch no doubt. Still, at least I got to experience Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro.

Kelvin

I've started 2nd world, liking it a lot, but it's all a bit one note to be truly great, imo. It's good at everything it does (maybe less so the platforming levels), but even though I don't currently find it repetive, I don't find it very exciting or ambitious on a gameplay level either.

Anyway, despite the above, I'm still enjoying it a lot, and maybe the game ramps up it's ideas in the second half.

Kelvin

I'm liking that the various exchangeable weapons and power ups actually do make a difference and suit different bosses. I tend to always carry the gun with homing bullets, as it's so useful for scrolling sections and occasions where you're constantly on the move but the enemy is changing position. I quite often swap between the short range, high damage gun and the standard, long distance blaster depending on the boss, though.

Same goes for the perks. Sometimes you want an extra heart, sometimes to be able to dash through obstacles, sometimes to charge your special attacks quicker. It really has felt like they've consistently made the difference when I was playing today.

Other thoughts; it's a good game to dip into, less so in for long, sustained sessions. I've enjoyed just turning it on intermittently, killing one boss, trying another to get their first few stages down, then turning it off and coming back to it later. Doesn't feel varied enough to sit and play through for hours, but that's fine.

I also think that, despite the graphics being very impressive, the real standout is the music. It has a driving, upbeat, sing along quality which never gets boring over the many, many attempts - although I thought it was a bit odd that I heard a few of them loop fairly quickly; literally stopping for a second, then restarting, rather than concealing that transition as most games would.

Favourite track so far was in this one from the cuckoo clock fight:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPbUoIo-0Y      Especially when Ride of The Valkyries unexpectedly kicked in at 1.05

Also loved this one from the Sunflower:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD54sROmeIM

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 21, 2019, 09:41:51 AM
Anyone got any favourite stages?

I've got one more boss to finish on Isle 2, and I think my faves so far have been the Cuckoo Clock I mentioned (great music, nice visual concept, and each stage felt really distinct), and the rollercoaster one (just because, again, it felt really visually interesting).

Twed

I wish there was a little more visual/audio feedback for the life/special meter.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 22, 2019, 02:05:23 AM
I wish there was a little more visual/audio feedback for the life/special meter.

Actually, the sfx seem quite low in the default mix. Some of the bosses have audio cues for when they're going to do a certain attack, but it's actually quite hard to heard them over the loud mix of the music they're so deservedly proud of.

wooders1978

Looks like this is never coming to PS4 sadly

Quote from: Kelvin on April 21, 2019, 12:55:20 PM
I've started 2nd world, liking it a lot, but it's all a bit one note to be truly great, imo. It's good at everything it does (maybe less so the platforming levels), but even though I don't currently find it repetive, I don't find it very exciting or ambitious on a gameplay level either.

Anyway, despite the above, I'm still enjoying it a lot, and maybe the game ramps up it's ideas in the second half.

Once it clicked for me, it was a high plateau throughout. I can't think of any sub-par stages or bosses. Certainly, the gameplay is very beholden to its influences so aside from the parry and dash, there's nothing much mechanical to wow you any more than it would have in Contra or Metal Slug. I think the beauty of it is in the consistency, though, and the freshness of each challenge. It seems they really worked hard to make each phase of each boss a distinct obstacle, requiring particular timing and execution. I can't remember ever thinking 'yeah, already seen this'. There was always something new to see and figure out. I don't think it's top tier Nintendo level but for the mileage they get out a few simple core mechanics, it's bloody good.

Also agreed that the music is stellar. Some of it is annoying if you keep dying, it sounds almost mocking at times, but when you're on top it's a rollicking good time.

Kelvin

That final phase of the dragon boss had me completely stumped for ages, even when I got there with full life. Then on my last attempt I wiped the green prick out without taking a single hit. Felt great.

Brundle-Fly

I've moved on from Cuphead to Crash Bandicoot N Sane trilogy. I feel I have a fighting chance with this. Cuphead I played for so long one night I almost broke the controller with my sweaty angry hands by using it too aggressively. It seems fine now.

Consignia

Whew, just finished this on normal. It took me quite a while, but the Switch form factor allowed to pick and drop in for 5 minute bursts here and there. I don't think it's quite as hard on as it's reputation (on normal I stress), but was a fun challenge helped a long by short game play loops and excellent presentation.

Not doing it on hard, don't have the energy nor the hand eye co-ordination.

St_Eddie

Game is good.

That is all.

Swoz_MK

Bought it at the weekend on Switch and while the bosses on Isle 1 aren't too bad on Regular I can barely do the Isle 2/3 bosses on Simple, let alone Regular.
Adore everything else about this game though, just amazing looking/sounding.

Chedney Honks

It seems like the DLC is finally coming today, as well as a PSN release.

https://www.windowscentral.com/cuphead-delicious-last-course-dlc-may-released-tomorrow?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Might only be available on Xbox today, we'll see.

Boring Geoff has an indie showcase today with some big announcement from one of our favourite indie developers, etc.

wooders1978

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 22, 2019, 08:28:29 AM
Looks like this is never coming to PS4 sadly
Never coming out on PS4 before the end of July 2020

Bazooka

Hmm I did want to play it but just grabbed a few games on the psn sale, £16 probably wait for a sale on it.