Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Morris Snippet In Esquire

Started by 12 Storey Crisis, December 22, 2004, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Morris is featured this month in Esquire's list of the 25 funniest people in Britain. Mostly it's just the usual rehashed nonsense that everyone's read a thousand times before, but there is a couple of new quotes from Charlie Brooker on the subject of Nathan Barley. Firstly, asked to describe Morris in a word, he says, "Jolly would probably be the word. And enthusiastic. And incredibly hard working."

More dramatically - and a quote that's likely to raise a few eyebrows among verbwhores - is Brooker's appraisal of what the finished version of Nathan Barley will actually be like:

"It'll make everything else he's done look shit."

Fuckin' hell mate!

alan strang

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis""It'll make everything else he's done look shit."

Fuckin' hell mate!

Don't get annoyed by it though - Zeppetron will just collect all the umbridge together in a big folder and label it 'proof that we're doing something right'.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

For that comment alone, Brooker should be horsewhipped naked through the streets of Britain, chased by baying rottweilers.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Other than TVGoHome, I never really knew why everyone hated Brooker so much. Now I do. What a complete tosser.

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"For that comment alone, Brooker should be horsewhipped naked through the streets of Britain, chased by baying rottweilers.

Ah. Yes. Normally I'd agree. But before you reach for that horsewhip, my defence lawyer has instructed me to point out that words originally uttered with an audible laugh during a phone conversation can appear startlingly different once transcribed.

Next time a journalist calls, I'm emitting a low hum and nothing more.

Cue abuse and Merry Christmas.

Joy Nktonga

Why wait 'til now Charlie Brooker? All the abuse aimed in your general direction, and you wait until naked horsewhipping is suggested. Interesting.

Go on, which one of the regulars is this then?

weekender

Well, speaking as someone objective who hasn't seen Nathan Barley yet, I can't discount Brooker's comment. It'd be nice to think that it's a really great show which *does* actually blow everything else out of the water.

Mind you, Nighty Night has just won an award for some shit or other, so fuck it, I've gone back to being cynical and fucking depressed.  Fuck you all, no-one wants humorous comedy anymore, obviously.  Therefore, as long as Nathan Barley dies of a humorous comedy disease - like polio - in the last* episode, then I'll be happy.  Apparently.

Edit: *first.  Death isn't funny when it's been on for a few weeks.

The Mumbler

Why do you tend to avoid reviewing comedy in Screenburn, Charlie?  Are you discouraged by The Guide's editor, or is it just easier to write a column about When Eggs Go Bad on ITV6?

alan strang

Quote from: "Charlie Brooker"Cue abuse and Merry Christmas.

Fuckin' limey - I'm gonna notify CNN and the CIA and David Letterman about your British teeth.

Clinton Morgan

English Teeth!
English Teeth!
Hear them Click and Clack.

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Charlie Brooker"Cue abuse and Merry Christmas.

Fuckin' limey - I'm gonna notify CNN and the CIA and David Letterman about your British teeth.

Ach... You don't know the half of it. I could compile a book of blood-curdling death threats. Proceeds to Amnesty International.

Favourite quote: "if it wasn't for us, your asshole would be speaking German right now".

Upset bystanders stumbling across a largely context-free Guardian website, I can forgive. Agenda-peddling maniacs I cannot. Most galling of all, hardly anyone noticed quite how *old* a joke it was, aside from one bloggist (is that a word?) who noted correctly that the same gag "was painted on helmets by soldiers in Vietnam; it's recorded in Nigel Rees' Graffiti (1980) where it referred to Watergate; and -- you'll like this one -- according to the New Yorker of July 18, 1994, it was used on buttons sold at the Republican convention in Virginia that year."

Incitement to violence? No. Plagiarism? Guilty as charged. Sort of got lost amongst the orchestrated shrieking, sadly.

Sorry, as you were. Bit obsessed about that topic and it's bedtime anyway.

Bye bye 2004, say I. All the best.

lazyhour

Quote from: "Clinton Morgan"English Teeth!
English Teeth!
Hear them Click and Clack.

That's cheered me immensely!  I might have to read some Milligan before bed, now.  Thank you!

Edit: But I don't get the other references in this thread.

Edit: I get them now.

Squidy

Quote from: "Charlie Brooker"Upset bystanders stumbling across a largely context-free Guardian website, I can forgive. Agenda-peddling maniacs I cannot. Most galling of all, hardly anyone noticed quite how *old* a joke it was, aside from one bloggist (is that a word?) who noted correctly that the same gag "was painted on helmets by soldiers in Vietnam; it's recorded in Nigel Rees' Graffiti (1980) where it referred to Watergate; and -- you'll like this one -- according to the New Yorker of July 18, 1994, it was used on buttons sold at the Republican convention in Virginia that year."

"I'd love to get Nixon out of office. In fact I once made a statement in which I said that the only thing that could save the country is the assassination of Nixon." -- Groucho Marx, 1973.

weekender

Wait now, it's the same Charlie Brooker who said in that online article that all fluffy animals should be shot?

Sorry, I take it all back, what a bastard.

alan strang

Quote from: "Charlie Brooker"Favourite quote: "if it wasn't for us, your asshole would be speaking German right now".

Well it would certainly have made 'Alles Klar' a more interesting show.

QuoteIncitement to violence? No. Plagiarism? Guilty as charged. Sort of got lost amongst the orchestrated shrieking, sadly.

I think Squidy pointed out that it was also used by Groucho Marx at some point.

Edit: see - he's just done it again!

QuoteSorry, as you were. Bit obsessed about that topic and it's bedtime anyway.

Don't forget to get your fucking legs broken after putting the cat out. All part of the fire-prevention bedtime routine.

Ambient Sheep

Good God!  Can it be a coincidence that shortly after Charlie Brooker allegedly starts posting here, the site crashes and burns for a fortnight?

Well obviously it is.

Darrell

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Good God!  Can it be a coincidence that shortly after Charlie Brooker allegedly starts posting here, the site crashes and burns for a fortnight?

Well obviously it is.

He "burn"(ed) the "screen" and told the "TV" (computer screen) to "go home" and told us to "Play (UK commission)" somewhere else. He also said that everyone at cream.org has a small "(11 O') C(l)ock (Show)".

I have no idea where I am going with this.

slim

See what you missed while you were away? Celebrity graced us with it's presence. I curtsied silently at my monitor.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Celebrity? He's just another journo that's turned his hand to comedy and had some lucky breaks, shurely?

Purple Tentacle

Italics are often used to denote irony.

P.S. When are the annual love-in Verbwhore awards by the way, because I want to lavish slim with my admiration.

Godzilla Bankrolls

The sad thing is, he *is* a celebrity. He's got a book of his bloody TV review columns published, for Allah's sake.

slim

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"P.S. When are the annual love-in Verbwhore awards by the way, because I want to lavish slim with my admiration.
I've never heard it called that before. < Sid James laugh >

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

A celebrity on CaB? This reminds of the time that poster came on here claming she'd shagged Morris, though her story collapsed a few days later.

Beloved Aunt wrote:

QuoteThe sad thing is, he *is* a celebrity. He's got a book of his bloody TV review columns published, for Allah's sake.

I don't think Brooker's a true celebrity as such. I mean, Morris has been on TV for 10 years, but I don't think of him as a celeb, because he hasn't sold out to adverts, hosting awards shows, splash-outs in Hello! and all that self-congratulatory wank. To be a *real celebrity* I think you've got to sell yourself wholly, or at least a large chunk of yourself to the public and media (especially tabloid media), and the ideal of *FAME*. Brooker is a just a journalist and TV/online writer, and unless he does appear on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, and starts swanning about bars and thumping doormen, I don't think he will be. The same goes for Morris.

If anything, Brooker is mildly infamous, after his column's controversy. Oh, I don't know, it's late.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Brooker and Morris are part of all that bullshit. They may not go to parties or feature in 3am, but they still play the media game.