Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:03:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Dawson - Peasant

Started by DukeDeMondo, October 02, 2017, 08:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: axel on October 02, 2017, 05:16:39 AM
Is their another thread for Richard's new album? Amazing stuff.

There is now. Now we never have to bump that other thread ever again.

Peasant, then. Fucking phenomenal, course it is, although I think my favourite albums of his are still The Magic Bridge and Nothing Important. Very little in it, though.

Anyway, I dunno what to say about it that it can't say for itself.

Here's the video for Ogre: https://youtu.be/jfaW-yD7DoA

Here's the video for Soldier: https://youtu.be/U7iW5OEeCUw

I haven't seen him live in about five years, I'd quite like to fix that sometime soon.

Beagle 2

Absolutely superb, saw him a couple of months ago with the full band and every hair was stood up on my arms for the duration.

DukeDeMondo

Aw wow, I've never seen him with a band. That would be quite something, I have no doubt.

This is the best thing released this year I reckon. Transcendent stuff. Fucking love the bloke, only got turned on to him recently so bit late to the party but have been gorging on his stuff. Just yeah... fucking great innit. Need to see him live.

The last few minutes of Ogre are fucking joyous. So good. The Vile stuff is a masterpiece as well, been absolutely rinsing it.

Head Gardener

a fantastic album, I found his earlier stuff kinda hard work but this new album has turned out to be one of my faves of the year

Glebe

I didn't know he could do music as well as atheism!

Glebe

axel

Playing a gig at Lexington on the 19th, unfortunately already sold out.

SteveDave

Blinder Data

Seeing this guy end of January. Only caught a short set of his before, just him and his geetar. Looking forward to a full band version

Not listened to Peasant yet apart from scraps on YouTube. His lyrics perfectly match his delivery - anybody else trying to sing stuff like "A neighbour accused me of larceny/My poor dad to the jail delivered me/All this over a hen and her eggs/I wish I'd never mislaid them" might be getting the side-eye from me. But with his old English voice, it's fucking great

Sin Agog

Every generation needs someone keeping the Incredible String Band spirit alive.  Glad this one has someone as good as him.

non capisco

The long end section of Ogre with the repeated "When the sun is climbing/dying" hook is fucking amazing, isn't it? What a song.

trabuch

I was going to post this in the "Funny music" topic - because one of the many things it does to me is make me laugh. But it does a lot more than that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESF0pC5yURU

He is massively gifted. One of of those "lucky to be alive in their lifetime" people.

shh

Old thread...but he has a new one out in a few weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiQ_-Ktpvc

Not sure what to make of it, it's all a bit banal & earnest after Peasant. I like the psych metal bit after the funny line about Wonderwall. Hoping for more of that.

sevendaughters

Quote from: shh on September 09, 2019, 08:19:18 PM
Old thread...but he has a new one out in a few weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiQ_-Ktpvc

Not sure what to make of it, it's all a bit banal & earnest after Peasant. I like the psych metal bit after the funny line about Wonderwall. Hoping for more of that.

definitely risking Kozeleking it

DukeDeMondo

I only know a handful of the many thousands of albums Mark Kozelek has been involved with, but aren't his lyrics - or the ones that people mean when they name him anyway - largely diaristic, "artless" sorts of "Mark Kozelek's Thursday went like this" or "Mark Kozelek's Monday went like that" or "Mark Kozelek really hates this YouTube Channel" or whatever sorts of deals? I don't see that there's much common ground between the songs on that last record of his, for example, and something like "Jogging," which is a really beautifully observed character sketch full of really funny lines.

sevendaughters

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 09, 2019, 09:01:39 PM
I only know a handful of the many thousands of albums Mark Kozelek has been involved with, but aren't his lyrics - or the ones that people mean when they name him anyway - largely diaristic, "artless" sorts of "Mark Kozelek's Thursday went like this" or "Mark Kozelek's Monday went like that" or "Mark Kozelek really hates this YouTube Channel" or whatever sorts of deals? I don't see that there's much common ground between the songs on that last record of his, for example, and something like "Jogging," which is a really beautifully observed character sketch full of really funny lines.

oh he's more artful and less full of shit than Koze, but nonetheless the approach is easy to veer into self-parody

alan nagsworth

anyone heard Dawson's band Hen Ogledd? Pretty rubbish, just wanted you all to know. Not great

Cuellar

I thought their album was alright. Few good tracks, some weird ones that I've come to like. The one with the guy and his kid whispering names of old Welsh/Northern kingdoms can fuck off though, fucking hate listening to that bullshit whispery ASMR crap at the best of times.

iamcoop

As well as the fact that he's quite fucking brilliant in his video for Jogging he runs pretty much the same route as my daily walk home from work which made me disproportionately happy. The man is an utter joy.

hummingofevil

Really? That video gives me Shieldfield OCD. "It's all in the wrong order!!" I cried until he thens up on a mountain so that helped extent the magic realism. Good tune.

sardines

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 09, 2019, 10:25:36 PM
anyone heard Dawson's band Hen Ogledd? Pretty rubbish, just wanted you all to know. Not great

Tiny Witch Hunter is a fuckin banger

DukeDeMondo

Aw man, he's released another track off the album and it's absolutely wonderful. "Two Halves." All about a football match. The video's gorgeous too. Stop motion folk horror feeling sort of thing.

As usual, the lyrics - or the delivery, maybe, or some combination of the two - had me hooting.

"Stop fannying around
Keep it nice and simple"

Reminds me of "Paint It Black" a wee bit in places. Wee bit. Reminds me of "Paint It Black" about as much as "Jogging" reminded me of "Icky Thump." Wee bit, so, only just. 

iamcoop

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 10, 2019, 02:21:39 PM
Really? That video gives me Shieldfield OCD. "It's all in the wrong order!!" I cried until he thens up on a mountain so that helped extent the magic realism. Good tune.

Yeah, the house he ends up at is pretty much round the corner from mine (I think..)

Cuellar

Quote from: sardines on September 11, 2019, 07:46:39 AM
Tiny Witch Hunter is a fuckin banger

Yeah, I really like Etheldreda too, some good things on that album