Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 163380 times)

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1110 on: February 11, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
I'm now reading David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue. A book involving musicians, written by a non-musician. Some of it jars with me. But, hey. What do I know. I'm just a drummer.
It's started off ok.

« Reply #1111 on: February 11, 2021, 10:20:05 PM »
I'm now reading David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue. A book involving musicians, written by a non-musician. Some of it jars with me. But, hey. What do I know. I'm just a drummer.
It's started off ok.

Think there's a thread on here somewhere for that.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #1112 on: February 12, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »
Think there's a thread on here somewhere for that.
Oooh. Ta.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #1113 on: February 12, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »
Have put the Pentagon Papers to one side for now (300 pages in) and am halfway through Peter Oborne's The Assault on Truth: Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the emergence of a new moral barbarism. It's quite a slim book (just under 200 pages) and is £12.99 hardback (only came out this year), but it might make any supporter of this government you know who will listen to argument think again. Already feeling angry at Oborne's detailing of the lies this government told in the 2019 election and in early 2020.

Sorry to go all political in this thread.

I don't agree with some of Oborne's conclusions in the introduction to his book, but he is good at calmly laying out the lies and venality of this government. Reading it will enrage you though.

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #1114 on: February 13, 2021, 09:46:16 PM »

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #1115 on: February 15, 2021, 05:39:42 AM »
"The Psychology of Time Travel" by Kate Mascarenhas

Must have been recommended on some list or other. Pretty interesting novel about a group of female scientists inventing time travel and the effects it has on society and the women who invent it. Sort of a cross-time murder mystery which is structured in a clever way. I enjoyed it, and it's a pretty easy read too.

« Reply #1116 on: February 17, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »
No one is talking about this- Patricia Lockwood.

Can see this one being very divisive, but I loved it. Nailed the internet and internet addiction quite stunningly. I'm not as 'online' as the author but I sense a lot of the piles on and viral moments she describes are real things and just stepping away from social media and looking at it through the lens of a gifted and funny writer really does make you marvel at its absurdity.

« Reply #1117 on: February 17, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »
All I know about her is that my wife and I saw a photo and agreed that she looked nothing like what someone called Patricia Lockwood should look like.

« Reply #1118 on: February 18, 2021, 03:34:51 AM »
Yeah. I thought it was the lady out of Keeping Up Appearances.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #1119 on: February 18, 2021, 03:35:50 AM »
Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "Outer Dark" which I loved. The campfire scene towards the end was very unsettling.

Gonna do "Child Of God" next

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #1120 on: March 03, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »
Struggling with Alan Moore's Jerusalem on Audible at the moment, to the point where I cant remember the plot, if there even is a plot.

Does it actually go anywhere or is it a series of short stories?

« Reply #1121 on: March 03, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
halfway through Peter Oborne's The Assault on Truth: Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the emergence of a new moral barbarism. It's quite a slim book (just under 200 pages) and is £12.99 hardback (only came out this year), but it might make any supporter of this government you know who will listen to argument think again. Already feeling angry at Oborne's detailing of the lies this government told in the 2019 election and in early 2020.

Sorry to go all political in this thread.

I don't agree with some of Oborne's conclusions in the introduction to his book, but he is good at calmly laying out the lies and venality of this government. Reading it will enrage you though.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a look. He seemed to be one of the few big voices holding Johnson to account at every turn, previously. I also don't agree with him all the time.

I'm currently reading Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun. I read Never Let Me Go when it came out and wasn't overly impressed but gave him another try with The Unconsoled which I absolutely loved (I appear to be in the minority on that). So, far I am enjoying Klara. It's well written and is giving out a few nice clues about things to come. There is something really compelling about it even as Klara is standing still for pretty much the entire first part. Top stuff.

dr beat

• #TeamColourfield
« Reply #1122 on: March 13, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »
Been reading a load of band biographies over the last year, for which I need to contribute to that thread.  Just started on Rock & Hard Places: Travels to Backstages, Frontlines and Assorted Sideshows by Friend of Chart Music Podcast Andrew Mueller.  Part travel book, part band on the road sort of thing.  Very good so far.  I spent a short amount of time in Sarajevo a while back so it was interesting to read his take on things there in 1996.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #1123 on: March 13, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »
I’m re-reading The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault. I’ve never really been into historical fiction, but as a depiction of the prevailing assumptions about what life was like for an Athenian citizen during the second phase of the Peloponnesian War (the historical events really start to play a part in protagonist Alexias’s life in the run up to the disastrous Sicilian expedition in 415 BC), it really does hold up. It’s Renault’s first true classical-history novel, and the only one I’ve gone back to time and again - and whereas I’d read her Alexander trilogy as background to my O-level Classical Studies project/coursework, this I discovered by accident, spotting it on my grandparents’ bookshelves.

« Reply #1124 on: March 13, 2021, 05:54:36 PM »
Struggling with Alan Moore's Jerusalem on Audible at the moment, to the point where I cant remember the plot, if there even is a plot.

Does it actually go anywhere or is it a series of short stories?

Is the audiobook divided into the three volumes or is it all together?

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #1125 on: March 14, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
Is the audiobook divided into the three volumes or is it all together?

It was actually divided into six downloads but its just one big thing of 43 chapters.

« Reply #1126 on: April 02, 2021, 06:56:40 AM »
See the 2nd volume takes a break from that, and then picks it up again for the 3rd

« Reply #1127 on: April 02, 2021, 09:08:26 AM »
Just finished Brian Keene's The Hollow.

Objectively, it was shit. The characters are under-written, the book is really badly padded meaning that the pacing is all over the shop. Feels like a padded novella. And yet... And yet... The set-pieces are fun.

Basically, it's about a horror writer whose neighbour unwittingly unleashes a satyr on the local population. Goatboy pulls out his pan pipes, has a tootle, all the boys get the horn and all the girls start craving goatcock. Hits that really unsettling sexy/scary line as Moore's Lovecraft comics.

Tags: