Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zero Books

Started by spamwangler, October 04, 2017, 10:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spamwangler

anyone read any of the Zero books publisher's stuff? really liked Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism, and Angela Nagle's recent one Kill All Normies, and that Reading the Way of Things one by whats his name, Daniel Coffeen

anyone got any other reccomendations from them? want to get thru a few more from that publisher this year

spamwangler

oh fuck, post Cinematic Effect by Steven Shaviro too, that was a banger

mrpupkin

There's a really good collection of essays called The Resistable Demise of Michael Jackson, for anyone interested in Sir Wackson Jackson or academic(ish) pop culture writing in general. Keep meaning to read Folk Opposition too by a bloke who's name I forget who used to be in Everything Everything but left to become some kind of book writing nerd instead. They publish a lot of interesting looking stuff, will check out those recommendations above.

MoonDust

I got my dad "An Unpatriotic History of World War 2" but then the blurb calls it The Unpatriotic History of World War 2.

And the rest of the book is then full of more editorial inconsistencies.

Seems like a publishing house run by shit editors who can't proof read. That's all I can say.

Large Noise

Only thing I've read from Zero is Capitalist Realism, intend to get Kill All Normies too.

DukeDeMondo

Post Cinematic Affect is one of my favourites. The chapters on Corporate Cannibal and Southland Tales, in particular, are just stunning. Also, for anyone interested, Shaviro has made his soon to be published chapter on the Paranormal Activity films available for free on his website.

In The Dust Of This Planet by Eugene Thacker, too. Ticked all my boxes.

I haven't read Levinas Unhinged yet, but I suppose I should sometime soon given I'm working on a book about him myself.

Serge

Unsurprisingly, I've got the one they published on David Bowie - 'Rebel Rebel', which was based on the 'Pushing Ahead Of The Dame' blog by Chris O'Leary. Also unsurprisingly, I haven't got around to reading the bugger yet. The excuse I give myself is that this only covers the years up until 1976, and I'm waiting for the sequel so I can sit down and read them back to back for the full experience.

I've heard good things about 'Poor But Sexy' by Agata Pyzik.

marquis_de_sad

Militant Modernism by Owen Hatherley is good. I haven't read Ghosts of My Life yet (although I've probably read a fair bit on Mark Fisher's old blog). Was quite shocking to hear that MF had killed himself earlier this year.

The founders of Zero moved on to found Repeater books, which is also good.