Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking squids in outer space

Started by Alberon, October 04, 2017, 11:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Ooh! Brand spanking new board!

Anyway, I love science fiction. It's about forty years since I first picked up The City and The Stars by Arthur C. Clarke. It was the first grown-up piece of SF I read and has always stuck with me.

Lately, I've felt like the type of SF I like has receded a bit. I'm bored of near future stuff, where's the good deep space and deep time stuff. Iain Banks left an impossible hole to fill but who's making the best attempt?

spamwangler

this fella is always doing blog posts about mad new sci fi stuff, always worth a look if youre looking for some new sci fi

WOULD HELP IF I GAVE THE LINK EH

http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/

mothman

Hmm. Scalzi has gone down the space opera route with his recent The Collapsing Empire, but it did strike me as a bit short and it's only the first in the series. I quite like Gary Gibson so he's worth checking out.

And - it's more contemporary than near or far future, but I can't recommend Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe books highly enough.