Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My Sex Life… or How I Got Into an Argument (1996)

Started by Lost Oliver, October 06, 2017, 11:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Movie about a Professor in Paris, Paul Dedalus, and his long list of friends and lovers.

When Paul is writing his first novel and says of his father: "He was so bourgeoisie that he was pleased when every bleak day repeated itself." I knew I'd love it, within seconds of it starting. I wanted to remain in this world forever.

"There's nothing more sparkling, more dizzying, than the possible."

So many moments to list: Rabier punching his own hand after explaining to someone that Van Gogh was a total mindfuck

Jean-Jacques equating an argument about a hairdryer to an abortion.

Ivan becoming religious and joining the Catholic church after watching a student of his dance around naked.

Paul exclaiming Dinner for one! on entering a restaurant with his new girlfriend in tow, of who he later remarks: "She only smiled when she was taking pleasure in being mean."

The horrific scene with the monkey in Rabier's classroom. The rigid beast, falling down the side of the radiator and Paul using a black bin bag to depose of the corpse.

Self-pitying Esther as she looks wantonly into the camera, as it slowly zooms in: "You were, and still are, in my faith, my hope, and in my love....Your absence falls asleep against my spirit."

And some real humour with Bob as a child. His father has recently passed away and the other children ask him about it. To which he tells them that his dad isn't really dead and that he's naked with lots of whores and that he sees him whenever he goes to the toilet. "I say wipe my arse, and he does."

Wonderful stuff from beginning to end. Real people, real characters.

Ending with: "That's my greatest joy. When I realise that life is worth living even when it's unbearable."

Anyone else seen it? Haven't seen anything else by Desplechin. Would like some recommendations.