Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New US comedies, autumn 2017 edition

Started by Robot DeNiro, October 06, 2017, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robot DeNiro

It's that time of year again when the US TV networks try to tempt us with their new offerings.  What new shows have you watched?  Were they any good?  If you think a show is good / bad enough to warrant its own thread, please start one.  But this thread will be a catch-all for everything else.

To kick us off I watched the first episode of Ghosted, a new Fox show starring yer man from The US Office and thingy from Parks and Rec (Craig Robinson and Adam Scott).  It's about a couple of ordinary guys who are forced to work for a 'Men In Black'-style government agency.  I like the two leads, but I found the pilot moved at such a breakneck pace that it took their chemistry for granted, without giving them time to actually play off each other properly.  Hopefully now everything has been set up things will slow down a little and the jokes will be given a bit more space.  This one will have to get funnier to hold my attention, as the situation isn't especially original or interesting.

Has anyone else seen it, or seen any other new comedies?

Small Man Big Horse

I've obtained but not watched Ghosted yet, but I will do soon as I'm fond of the leads.

Me, Myself and I - A new CBS sitcom which according to the press blurb "Examines one man's life over a 50-year span. It explores three distinct periods in his life - as a 14-year-old in 1991, a 40-year-old in present day and a 65-year-old in 2042." The part set in the 90s is sub-The Wonder Years stuff so far but the other two sections had some cute moments, and I plan to stick with it for the time being.

Robot DeNiro

Ah, I knew you wouldn't let me down SMBH!

I'm a sucker for comedy visions of the future, so I'll have to give Me, Myself and I a try.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on October 06, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
Ah, I knew you wouldn't let me down SMBH!

I've also got the appallingly titled 9JKL and The Mayor to watch, the latter of which looks quite interesting despite being an abc sitcom.

QuoteI'm a sucker for comedy visions of the future, so I'll have to give Me, Myself and I a try.

It felt to me like the future parts got the least screen time in the pilot, but I hope that's rectified in following episodes.

I watched Ghosted and yeah, it's a bit forced and like you say there's a lot of plot but not that many actual jokes. Scott and Robertson don't really have much chemistry and I found the latter fairly irritating, and it's also a terrible waste of Adeel Akhtar. Still, I'm a sucker for supernatural stuff like this, so will watch a few more episodes at least.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 07, 2017, 12:22:08 AM

I watched Ghosted and yeah, it's a bit forced and like you say there's a lot of plot but not that many actual jokes. Scott and Robertson don't really have much chemistry and I found the latter fairly irritating, and it's also a terrible waste of Adeel Akhtar. Still, I'm a sucker for supernatural stuff like this, so will watch a few more episodes at least.

I quite liked ghosted, though it isn't funny enough - the speed reminds me of NTSC:SD:SUV but without jokes, hopefully it will get better,

Robinson is normally quite good in comedies, I am not au fait with his standing up, but he's pretty good in Brooklyn nine-nine - which also came back recently.

I've always had time for it and with the first two episodes having Tim Meadows as a cannibal and Lou Diamond Phillips as a prison twat, i thoroughly enjoyed the 44 minutes so far.

EDIT : Thought Adeel was David Wain doing 'Arab face'.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big fan of Brooklyn Nine Nine as well, and loved Meadows role, especially his final scene when he tried to eat Jake.

Ron Superior

I'm quite enjoying Ghosted! I really love Adam Scott and it's nice seeing both him and Craig playing quite different characters than usual.

Nothing earth shattering, but enjoyable and funny, and I think it could go in a few interesting directions.

And Sean Clement wrote next week's episode and he and Adam have been bigging it up. Definitely going to stick with it.

Fry

It isn't new, but I'm enjoying the second season of "Great News" at the moment.  The first season was a bit patchy but now it really seems to be shaping up to be the successor to 30 Rock. A smart, semi surreal workplace sitcom with a decent cast and a gag every other line. The last few episodes have had some Tina Fey action in it and everything.

phantom_power

I feel that Ghosted is flirting with being good without quite managing it yet. I think the characters need to settle down and it will get better.

Great News is one on my list to watch. I love a bit of Tina Fey

Another old one that is airing its second season but I am really enjoying Better Things. A really warm, funny show and Pamela Adlon is great in it. It is good that someone who has been such a good bit player is finally getting a chance to lead a show. i don't know how much involvement Louis CK has but it if he is involved it is proof for me that he hasn't lost his touch

phantom_power

I am still quite enjoying Ghosted. It just needs to be funnier. They are coasting on the charm of the lead actors too much at the moment

Small Man Big Horse

9JKL - In short - I will never watch another episode of this ridiculously naff sitcom ever again. Fuck no. The longer version - A tv actor divorces his wife and moves in to an apartment next door to his wacky parents (Elliot Gould and Liza Lapira) and massive dickhead brother (some really bad actor I can't be bothered to look up) and hijinks ensue. The weird thing is that other than references to viral videos and Paul Feig (who guest stars, because I presume they could get no one else) I'm pretty sure you could trick someone in to thinking this was made in the 90s. It looks like it was shot back then for one thing, but the script is also blandly predictable and occasionally sentimental in a way that made me cringe. It's doing okay ratings wise though, so expect at least nine seasons and then a reboot fifteen years after that if Elliot Gould isn't dead by then.

Quote from: Ron Superior on October 17, 2017, 04:38:19 PM
I'm quite enjoying Ghosted! I really love Adam Scott and it's nice seeing both him and Craig playing quite different characters than usual.

Just watched the third episode and enjoyed it for the reason you mention, I really like Adam Scott when he goes weird and I'm finding he gets the biggest laughs. Not to say Robertson isn't strong, it's just the less flashier role.

Penfold

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2017, 01:09:37 AM
and massive dickhead brother (some really bad actor I can't be bothered to look up) and hijinks ensue.

Is it this guy?

I hope it is as I don't like him because he ruined a perfectly good season of New Girl.

To actually add something related to the topic, I am also enjoying Ghosted but something still feels off. Most of the episodes currently revolve around Craig Robinson' character not believing Adam Scott despite the weird things that have already happened.

I've also been watching Me, Myself, and I because I like Bobby Moynihan and Brian Unger (Lawyer in Always Sunny) and Mandell Maughan (Bajillion Dollar Propertie$). It's not been very funny though, and I'm always put off by child comedy actors.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Penfold on October 25, 2017, 02:12:27 AM
Is it this guy?

I hope it is as I don't like him because he ruined a perfectly good season of New Girl.

That's the fella. Seems like he should be banned from all sitcoms after this.

Seagullsim

As someone fairly novice-level with technology, how could I view Ghosted and Me, Myself & I in the UK??

Hat FM

does this mean that terrible Mr Robinson show has been cancelled? i could only stomach one episode.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hat FM on October 25, 2017, 09:09:37 AM
does this mean that terrible Mr Robinson show has been cancelled? i could only stomach one episode.

Yep, that happened back in September 2015.

Quote from: Seagullsim on October 25, 2017, 07:59:12 AM
As someone fairly novice-level with technology, how could I view Ghosted and Me, Myself & I in the UK??

I'm not sure if we're allowed to provide direct links, but google "alluc.ee" and you'll find a great streaming site.

Really struggling to get on with Ghosted, which is a shame as all the elements sound right up my street on paper.

I think the breakneck pace is what's been the stumbling block. Twenty minute (without the ads) instalments are too short to convey the concept, build the world, establish the characters and have a one-off monster story every week. It feels like the show-runners/network are trying to find a shortcut to the laughs by having it coast on Adam Scott and Craig Robinson's charms (and I really like both of them in other things) and it's not working for me.

Robot DeNiro

Yeah, three episodes in and I feel the same about Ghosted.  The two lead characters have become accustomed to their new jobs far too easily.  I feel there could have been a lot of fun showing two ordinary guys struggling to fit in to a secret paranormal government agency.  However because they cram in too much clichéd monster-of-the-week plot, the leads are reduced to blandly quipping action guys. And the supporting cast have not been given enough airtime / jokes for me to care at all about anything they've done so far.

Small Man Big Horse

Hit The Road - Jason Alexander and Amy Pietz force their children to be in a family band called "Swallow". Contains a scene where Alexander is all but blackmailed in to wanking some guy off, but gets the wrong man and so has to give two handjobs! And then a bit later, a third! Christ. In terms of post Seinfeld careers I'm not saying this is worse than the time Michael Richards used the N word in his stand up, but it's close.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 01, 2017, 01:01:26 PM
Hit The Road - Jason Alexander and Amy Pietz force their children to be in a family band called "Swallow". Contains a scene where Alexander is all but blackmailed in to wanking some guy off, but gets the wrong man and so has to give two handjobs! And then a bit later, a third! Christ. In terms of post Seinfeld careers I'm not saying this is worse than the time Michael Richards used the N word in his stand up, but it's close.

Oh, Biff. *shakes head sadly*

Haha, that all sounds tremendously awful. So much so that I'm oddly tempted to watch.

Bad Ambassador

Thanks to the miracle of ITV's no publicity, I see no one has mentioned Ghosted is now on ITV2 Mondays at 8pm. The first episode is repeated at 2am tonight.

Small Man Big Horse

Not a new show, but Mom returned last night, this used to be it's title card:

But this is the new one:

Which seems a pretty brutal way to cut the cast in half. There's not even been a reference to the kids dying offscreen or something, they've just been completely forgotten about so far.

Small Man Big Horse

Loudermilk - Ron Livingstone stars as an alcohol and drugs counsellor in this new show from Peter Farrelly and The Colbert Report writer Bobby Mort. Contains lots of swearing (including one usage of the word cunt) and some topless nudity, but eh, it's not that great a show and only made me laugh twice. I might give it a second shot if the reviews are positive but right now I'm doubting it'll be anything other than a mediocre one season and done sitcom.

Robot DeNiro

So, a new batch of shows seems to have started. Anyone tried Corporate, Alone Together, Liberty Crossing or LA to Vegas?

I've only seen LA to Vegas, and it's not very good.  It's about the crew of a low budget aeroplane that flies between LA and Vegas.  The Captain of the plane is quite funny in an obvious way, but the setting of the plane feels very limiting.  I won't be bothering with episode 2.

Famous Mortimer

I really liked "LA To Vegas" :(

"Mom" is, I think, the best US sitcom currently showing. It's not only really funny, performed by a superb cast, but it's really attempting to make a social point. Does this sound too wanky? It's extremely honest about their addictions, and for a big mainstream sitcom, it can be very dark at times. It doesn't get into the religious underpinnings of AA either, which is a relief.

"Corporate" I'm looking forward to, if only for it being fresh, cast-wise. Some fairly obscure LA comics seem to have been hired for it, which will be nice. Or it might be terrible, I can't tell.

"Jean Claude Van Johnson" is surprisingly excellent. I was expecting it to be broad, but it uses JCVD well, and I like the cast they've surrounded him with. Looking forward to seeing where they go with it after the first few episodes.

newbridge

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on January 18, 2018, 07:08:18 PM
So, a new batch of shows seems to have started. Anyone tried Corporate, Alone Together, Liberty Crossing or LA to Vegas?

I've only seen LA to Vegas, and it's not very good.  It's about the crew of a low budget aeroplane that flies between LA and Vegas.  The Captain of the plane is quite funny in an obvious way, but the setting of the plane feels very limiting.  I won't be bothering with episode 2.

I thought the pilot to Alone Together was so-so, but I could see the show getting much better as it finds its legs. The lead actress is far too attractive for the (very frequent) running bit that she isn't, but I guess the point is that Los Angeles is unique or whatever. The funniest moments seemed like ad-libbed parts.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 18, 2018, 11:16:45 PM
I really liked "LA To Vegas" :(

Maybe I'll try the second episode.  Usually I'm a sucker for workplace comedies, and the cast seemed good enough, but I'm bored of the setting already.  Thanks for the other recommendations, I haven't seen any of them.  "Mom" isn't exactly the most attention-grabbing title, is it?

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 18, 2018, 11:16:45 PM

"Jean Claude Van Johnson" is surprisingly excellent. I was expecting it to be broad, but it uses JCVD well, and I like the cast they've surrounded him with. Looking forward to seeing where they go with it after the first few episodes.

It's been cancelled

Famous Mortimer