Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New US comedies, autumn 2017 edition

Started by Robot DeNiro, October 06, 2017, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Palazzo

I enjoyed No Activity. Remake of an Australian show. Jason Mantzoukas, Amy Sedaris, Will Ferrell, Jesse Plemons, Tim Meadows plus the bloke from the original Australian version. Not hilarious but quite a satisfying watch. Jesse Plemons is good at acting.

Small Man Big Horse

Ghosted has now returned for the second half of it's season, complete with new showrunner Paul Lieberstein. The AV Club are all rather excited by the changes brought in but whilst it's a bit funnier it's still nothing that great. So far they've mostly dropped the supernatural side of things and introduced a new plotline where the office is being bugged, and it's more of a workplace comedy, which is fine I guess, but until the end of the second episode that aired last night it wasn't that exciting. Lieberstein has a great track record so I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes, but I'd be amazed if it ever becomes a show I love.

Penfold

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 11, 2018, 11:53:58 PM
Ghosted has now returned for the second half of it's season, complete with new showrunner Paul Lieberstein. The AV Club are all rather excited by the changes brought in but whilst it's a bit funnier it's still nothing that great. So far they've mostly dropped the supernatural side of things and introduced a new plotline where the office is being bugged, and it's more of a workplace comedy, which is fine I guess, but until the end of the second episode that aired last night it wasn't that exciting. Lieberstein has a great track record so I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes, but I'd be amazed if it ever becomes a show I love.

I need to go back to it when I'm in a better mood. I watched the first 10 minutes and nothing happened. I know that was the theme of the episode but they could have put a joke or two in. Also not a fan of Craig Robinson's character in it, so I don't care if he is bored at work.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Penfold on June 12, 2018, 01:30:27 PM
I need to go back to it when I'm in a better mood. I watched the first 10 minutes and nothing happened. I know that was the theme of the episode but they could have put a joke or two in. Also not a fan of Craig Robinson's character in it, so I don't care if he is bored at work.

You don't want to watch episode 12 then, it's a bottle episode and incredibly bland. I laughed once, chuckled once and smiled once, but grimaced over thirty two times.

Famous Mortimer

I've really been enjoying "LA To Vegas", which makes its cancellation annoying.

New Jack

'Barry' on HBO is meant to be good. Only watched one episode but I've seen raving about it, like 'the best first series of any comedy' which seems a bit OTT but it is raving. Not here though. Or from me. But I might get there!

Penfold

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 21, 2018, 01:12:56 AM
You don't want to watch episode 12 then, it's a bottle episode and incredibly bland. I laughed once, chuckled once and smiled once, but grimaced over thirty two times.

That's more than one grimace a minute! Are you alright?

Quote from: New Jack on June 21, 2018, 03:35:04 PM
'Barry' on HBO is meant to be good. Only watched one episode but I've seen raving about it, like 'the best first series of any comedy' which seems a bit OTT but it is raving. Not here though. Or from me. But I might get there!

I liked Barry, I like Bill Hader. Although when I think back over the series it is weird to think of it as a comedy, except that one guy.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Penfold on June 21, 2018, 07:03:38 PM
That's more than one grimace a minute! Are you alright?

Apparently I looked shockingly miserable this morning when I felt fine, so it's possible my face has been scarred for life by it.

QuoteI liked Barry, I like Bill Hader. Although when I think back over the series it is weird to think of it as a comedy, except that one guy.

I liked Barry as well, I remember not being that impressed by the first episode but then it improved a great deal, and Henry Winkler was a delight. I know what you mean about the comedy side of things though, there are some pretty funny moments but also fairly bleak ones, especially the ending.

Mobius

Can anyone please tell me if the American show "Detroiters" is worth watching? It has Sam Richardson in it, whom I enjoy greatly in Veep.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Mobius on June 21, 2018, 11:00:21 PM
Can anyone please tell me if the American show "Detroiters" is worth watching? It has Sam Richardson in it, whom I enjoy greatly in Veep.

It's hit or miss. They are an amusing pair but there's not enough material to stretch over 10 episodes. Sounds like the second series might be a step up though.

phantom_power

I was unsure of Barry to start with but it eventually won me over. Once you realised that none of the characters were likeable (apart from possibly the bald Kosovan (was that their nationality?)) it improved a lot. And yeah, I wouldn't call it a comedy. It is like someone took a comedy premise (hitman tries to be an actor!) and makes it a more realistic depiction of what that would actually be like.

Is there going to be a second season or was it cancelled? Or just a one-off?

Ron Superior

I liked it on first viewing and the whole first season has been put up on Sky so I'm watching it again with the wife and enjoying it more the second time round. Hoping they'll show the second season soon as I'm not really able to download stuff from the usual places anymore. I think there was a thread on it.

Ron Superior

Quote from: phantom_power on June 22, 2018, 09:14:57 AM

Is there going to be a second season or was it cancelled? Or just a one-off?

Yeah, Barry was renewed for a second season pretty early in its run.

phantom_power

That's good to hear, though I am not sure where they are going to go with it and the first season finale was a pretty good point to end on, hinting at the idea that he might have slivers of happiness he would never truly be free of his past life

perdothegit

It's my favorite comedy of the past couple of years! It's stupid, but it makes me laugh like no other show. I've watched the entire first series 3 times, and amazingly it got funnier with each viewing. Love it!

steveh

Corporate (currently on Comedy Central UK) I quite like. As another workplace comedy it's inevitably quite derivative but being more towards the absurdist comedy of Office Space or Green Wing rather than The Office and with enough good jokes and new things to mine in contemporary workplace culture plus a decent cast it makes it worth watching.

phantom_power

Holy shit, there is a new season of Trial and Error! I could sworn it got cancelled. I ended up really enjoying the first season so am looking forward to this