Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oz Magazine Downloads

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 06, 2017, 06:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I just noticed today that every issue of the infamous Oz magazine have been legally made available online, and can be downloaded here: http://ro.uow.edu.au/ozlondon/

Out of interest, has anyone ever read any of them? And if so, what would you recommend reading? I know issue 28 is the issue which saw them end up in court so plan to start with that, but are any of the others particularly notable? Or should I just start with issue 1 like any normal sane person would?

marquis_de_sad

I read the book The Trial of Oz, about the prosecution against the magazine for obscenity. A lot of the people involved came across as self-aggrandising hippies and the accounts of the paper in court didn't make me change my mind. They shouldn't have been prosecuted, obviously, but stunts like "Jailbait of the Week" have aged pretty badly I think.

The BBC made a star-studded adaptation of The Trial of Oz, which I haven't seen, but here's a clip.

Serge

I remember seeing that play when it was on, I seem to recall it being pretty decent. What I had completely failed to remember is that Hugh Grant played Richard Neville! I suppose this was pre-'Four Weddings' and he wasn't as well known.