Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Book Club

Started by Smeraldina Rima, October 07, 2017, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Hangover Square is about delusional alcoholics so count me in.

ASFTSN

I'm 50 pages from the end of Hangover Square so why not, count me in too.

I'll open a new thread for Hangover Square. We can vote on Howj Begg's three suggestions next time.

Howj Begg

Typee by Hermann Melville.

Twed

Howj Begg

Smeraldina appears to have gone missing. You alright mate?

Howj Begg

I'm busy with assignments and exams from now until mid-May, but hopefully we can pick this up again soon?

Yes please! Anyone else?

Famous Mortimer

Janie Jones

selectivememory

Yeah, I'll probably be up for this.

Wondering if people are still up for doing this again.
I was thinking it'd be good to do the book Serge said was his favourite, The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek.  What do you all reckon? Any other ideas?
Maybe we could start in two or three weeks time?
Really, really hope Smeraldina comes back!

Howj Begg

I'd like to do that, and in three weeks I'll be free. Would also like to propose renaming it to the Serge Memorial book club.

Large Noise

I've had it on my ereader since Serge recommended it and haven't got round to it, so I would also read and contribute.

selectivememory

I actually read it last year on the basis of Serge's thread, although I would possibly reread a few passages so that I could join in. It's a very funny book. It's quite long, but it's not a difficult read at all and I expect most people here would be able to breeze through it relatively quickly, compared to something like Middlemarch.

Large Noise

Quote from: selectivememory on May 11, 2018, 07:02:51 PM
It's quite long
For some reason it's listed as 200-odd pages on Wikipedia but 700 on Goodreads.

selectivememory

I read a version of it that was 700 or so pages.

It was written in volumes though (the author died midway through writing the fourth), so perhaps the 200-page one is just the first volume.

Right then, let's say we start from June 1st so everyone has a chance to get a copy?

Howj Begg

Sounds good. I'd also like to add The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists to the future reads list.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on May 16, 2018, 12:34:22 AM
Right then, let's say we start from June 1st so everyone has a chance to get a copy?

cough