Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The X-Files (season 11)

Started by VelourSpirit, October 08, 2017, 07:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

There's now a trailer out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdrt8nPyy8

This will probably be the last season, at least for Gillian Anderson: http://screenrant.com/exclusive-gillian-anderson-is-finished-after-x-files-season-11/

Are you still open to continuing on beyond this season?

Gillian Anderson: No, no, I think this will be it for me.

So, why did you want to do this season?

Gillian Anderson: Because it felt like it wasn't over. It didn't feel like we necessarily deliver everything the fans were expecting of us last time, and so it was that.

How much will you miss her if this is really it for you?

Gillian Anderson: I don't know. You may need to talk to me in a few years about that once I finally shut the door. You know, there's always been this may one more thing hanging over, but when the door is finally shut call me up and ask me that question again.

up_the_hampipe

That trailer doesn't look enjoyable. I remember the best episodes of season 10 were standalone stories, but this one looks to be keeping up the long-running conspiracy/alien/government stuff that doesn't really tickle my pickle.

BlodwynPig

Looking forward to the X-Files-Twin Peaks-Millennium crossover episode.

VelourSpirit

It's 8 standalone and 2 conspiracy episodes. I suppose most of this trailer is just from episode 1. Looks like we're gonna see more of the aliens in that one than in the entire original series! Feels slightly wrong that they're not just standing in darkly lit rooms. I suppose you could say that for the rest of the characters too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: TwinPeaks on October 08, 2017, 07:45:56 PM
It's 8 standalone and 2 conspiracy episodes. I suppose most of this trailer is just from episode 1.

Oh good!

Bring back Duane Barry!

VelourSpirit

It's on tonight in the US. Reviews say the season is better than season 10 but the first episode is more of the same. Oh well, at least we might see an alien.

biggytitbo

I'm glad Anderson has canned it, the last series was consistently turd and even managed to get worse in it's last episode.

mothman

Where is it on in the UK? Are C5 doing it again?

mjwilson

Yes but I don't know when they're starting.

mothman

I've done a search on the EPG - gives you a week in advance - and all I can see are old eps being repeated on Spike.

VelourSpirit

It'll probably be on Channel 5 in about a month, if you can wait that long to watch it with adverts.

Malcy

I'm confused by the first episode a bit. And the ending? Ewwwwwww!

VelourSpirit

What was all that SHITE about
why did every shot have that crap digital zoom
why was every dramatic line punctuated with that booming sound effect
why was the editing so fucking quick and awkward
who's watching x-files for car adverts chases
what was that voiceover all about
couldn't pay attention to any of the evil monologues, but I just knew nothing important was being said so I suppose it doesn't matter
fuck's sake, x-files in 2018 should be slow and patient brilliant tv considering how it was the most cinematic show of the '90s, but even the good new ones are just edited so poorly it's like how I imagine an episode of CSI would be

Phil_A

Yes, I noticed the editing had gone to shit when Mulder managed to grow a day's worth of beard stubble in between leaving the hospital and getting into his car.

It's really frustrating how the X-Files was once a show that set the standard for how good a TV series on a budget can look, but now it just looks bland as fuck. I just wish they'd get a couple of the old directors back again at least.

VelourSpirit

It's sad when it shows clips from the old series and you're reminded of how much better it looked. has none of the great atmosphere it has it the '90s - like you said, just bland as fuck. Wish things were still shot on film, not that it would solve any of the hundreds of other problems.
Music is shit too. Just pulsating generic fucking shite. I could have sworn they said they brought Mark Snow back but it doesn't sound like him at all. I'm sick of ranting about the new X-Files but there's just so much wrong with it. It's painful to see it failing in literally every aspect.

itsfredtitmus

call me when Darin Morgan does an ep

Bogbrainedmurphy

I read a spoiler-ridden review yesterday (shows how much series 10 crumbled my enthusiasm for this new series, would never have considered doing that in the past) and it seemed that it confirmed many of my worst fears for the "mythology" episodes. Don't even know why we bother calling it the mythology anymore because it's ruined, just totally lost and compromised and contradicted now. It was long before the end of the original run, but to meddle with it yet further... dear me.

Interested to see how they progress from an event at the end of series 10 which would have world changing effects which surely prove aliens/UFO's exist (ie. a massive effing UFO hovering over a bridge full of civilians) Well, less interested, more wary.

Hoping the monster of the week episodes are good, though you can see the makers' desperation to bring The Lone Gunmen back into the thing. Why did they kill them off in the first place?!

Dr Syntax Head

I will watch this the new season for one reason and one reason only. Loyalty to one of my favourite shows. It should have ended at season 7.

Dr Syntax Head

I remember being a bit worried Twin Peaks 3 would be disappointing. This time with X-Files I fucking KNOW!

BlodwynPig

Shit. They could have done away with the series 10 last episode if they're going to do this revisionist tripe. Clunky dialogue. I agree that it's pacing that is mainly the problem...oh and the music, the direction, the editing, the lighting, the script and the stupid alien getting needled.

Shaky

I still hold out hope that the non-Carter helmed episodes will be good, as several reviews have claimed. He really is a clueless bastard.

Malcy

Cracking episode this week. Really enjoyed that

BlodwynPig

Straight Faced Customer

Probably the best William Gibson-esque episode that William Gibson never wrote.

Small Man Big Horse

Phil_A

Genuinely surprised the last episode is getting any positive write-ups, I thought it was terrible.

Everything about it was so "off" I was convinced they were heading for a reveal of Mulder & Scully already being copies of themselves in a VR world.

The script explicitly says several times that when you are reborn in the digital world, you're a completely different person to who you were in life. So how does Langly remember who he is and who Mulder & Scully are? Why is the assassin still exactly the same?

They touched on a lot of stuff which seems like it should've had a bit more weight, but it was just thrown in there. The X-Files being bought? Deep Throat's real name? The possibility of life surviving after death? It's all approached with the same degree of "Ehh." 

How does a private security firm(I assume that was what they were, they kept mumbling the name and I'm not sure I caught it) end up overruling the FBI??

Everything felt incredibly low stakes as well. It's hard to care about the digital world getting switched off because we never see it, and the only threat to Mulder and Scully at the end is some low level grunt with a gun.

Duchovny looked more engaged than in the last episode, but still gives the impression he doesn't give a shit what's going on. Anderson is fine, although Scully is basically a completely different character now.

BlodwynPig

Dr Syntax Head

Where are y'all watching this?

BlodwynPig