Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube’s Adpocalypse and Jimmy Kimmel

Started by Hello! Replies Hidden, October 09, 2017, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a serious issue that's been going on for the past six months.

Channels slowly dying off because sponsors are pulling their ads, the most harmless content being ruled unsuitable and with no consistency when which videos are allowed to be monetised. A real change in the future of YouTube has occurred and I don't like how things are heading when they are the single biggest monopoly in sharing video.

The latest chapter involves Jimmy Kimmel profiting off the Las Vegas tragedy and his stance on gun control being promoted by YouTube. Ethan from H3H3 makes the point how opposing views on the right would not get he same treatment.

https://youtu.be/pj8n78AuN3w

biggytitbo

Youtube also preventing channels from putting patroen links at the end unless they are monetised, even though they're demonetizing channels left right and centre without any communication and often for the no good reason. The whole website is coming apart at the seems right now, i think they still dont make money and if they carry on like this theyre going to alientate the very people providing the content they make ad money from.

Urinal Cake

Google knows what it is doing. They don't need controversial content to make money. They're going for the broadcast family-safe tv market.
The content providers will move to twitch, patreon etc. The controversial shit will move to twitter, wshh etc.

MoonDust

Good. My YouTube channel has some cringe-worthy videos I made about 10 years ago but I've long forgotten my log-in details to get rid of them.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Urinal Cake on October 09, 2017, 08:31:18 AM
Google knows what it is doing. They don't need controversial content to make money. They're going for the broadcast family-safe tv market.
The content providers will move to twitch, patreon etc. The controversial shit will move to twitter, wshh etc.

They're demonetizing video game content (which is the biggest single thing on youtube) disproprortionetly though, i know pewdie pie hasnt helped but the vast majority of it is not controversial save for the content of the games themselves which are already featured in tv ads and so on. Youtube don't seem to realise that its this content that reaches the aduience tradional tv and print advertising doesnt, its very valuable to them and by acting in such a heavy handed way (or more accurately lazily relying on inaccurate algorithms) they're really shooting themselves in the foot. If that audience moves away from youtube because the content they watch does, they're the ones that will suffer.

touchingcloth

Are they having a bonfire of the vlogs, then? Good. If a vlogger has owt worth saying, they can set up a blog for next to if not actually nothing, and stick ads on from whomsoever they dosoever choose, and YouTube can go back to being the internet's primary hub for videos of kittens. Falling off his bike like a twat.

Oh, and "demonetise" can get immediately in grave.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 09, 2017, 08:40:22 AM

They're demonetizing video game content (which is the biggest single thing on youtube) disproprortionetly though, i know pewdie pie hasnt helped but the vast majority of it is not controversial save for the content of the games themselves which are already featured in tv ads and so on. Youtube don't seem to realise that its this content that reaches the aduience tradional tv and print advertising doesnt, its very valuable to them and by acting in such a heavy handed way (or more accurately lazily relying on inaccurate algorithms) they're really shooting themselves in the foot. If that audience moves away from youtube because the content they watch does, they're the ones that will suffer.
The companies that are successfully advertising on let's plays are game developers who have their games featured. YouTube is not getting a cut of that money and other advertisers are just getting scraps.

Google realises it has a monopoly so it's dictating the market, they can afford to play hardball because as much as people bitch it's the platform with the biggest reach.

If what you say is right and YouTube has made a mistake there is no competitor in the short term that can take its place and YouTube can partially undo it's sins and content providers will go running back praising Jesus.

biggytitbo

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 09, 2017, 08:42:28 AM
Are they having a bonfire of the vlogs, then? Good. If a vlogger has owt worth saying, they can set up a blog for next to if not actually nothing, and stick ads on from whomsoever they dosoever choose, and YouTube can go back to being the internet's primary hub for videos of kittens. Falling off his bike like a twat.

Oh, and "demonetise" can get immediately in grave.

If you want to make any money, even the tiny pittance from running ads, you'd have to go with one of the big programmatic networks like google to stand any chance at all.

touchingcloth

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 09, 2017, 09:01:46 AM

If you want to make any money, even the tiny pittance from running ads, you'd have to go with one of the big programmatic networks like google to stand any chance at all.

alanshrugs.gif

Bazooka

Yeah they couldn't care, they have it figured out. You go on the front page and it's Simon Cowell videos/talent show gibberish, Justice League trailer etc, which masks any interesting content. Even PewDiePie used to have a huge segment on the front page, but no longer, they are catering for the kids/family market.

Even if a video of a an martian landing in Paris was filmed in crystal clear 4k HD, a video of a busker backflipping singing Ed Sheeran would be on the front page in it's place.

Still the most optimised video platform available on the market, gets more views than any TV channel can even compete with.

George Oscar Bluth II

Join me in failing to give a shit that YouTube vloggers called things like "the_rational_paedophile" and "Gamer1488" can't make money anymore.

touchingcloth

First Dapper lost his laughs, then Pewtypops got sued by Disney and now this. It's carnage out there - tune into my channel to get my extended take on the carnage and to see raw uncut footage of the carnage, and remember to like and subscribe and Digg this if you want me to keep bringing you fresh carnage.

Cuellar

I do try, honestly, but I am really struggling to give a galloping fuck about any of this.

phantom_power

I for one am gutted that rightwing shit-heels aren't allowed to have their say on YouTube and it is a shame that there is literally nowhere else for them to spew their ill-thought beliefs into the ether

Urinal Cake

The only issue is if your niche interest or 'personality' moves to a pay to view platform such as Patreon. No more ad-blocking and buying the odd piece of merch to allay your guilt.

But the thing is so much content is disposable that it may not even matter. Like H3H3.

biggytitbo

It's not 'right wing shit-heels', its people doing frequentrly extremely good gaming content who are having their livelhoods killed without any decent explantion. Retrogaming in particular is masisvely popular on youtube and its getting hammered by their fucked up AI.

Youtube basically killed off short form animation a few years ago in the same way, this time I thibk they're making a big mistake because these audiences are gold dust for advertisers, if they had any sense they'd be doing their best to preserve it.

Cuellar

Well they'll move to twitch or something.

Urinal Cake

There are some right wing shitheels who don't care about money.

pancreas

Quote from: Cuellar on October 09, 2017, 10:07:52 AM
I do try, honestly, but I am really struggling to give a galloping fuck about any of this.

I barely understand the issue.

Barry Admin

YouTubers endlessly whining about YouTube does my bap in.

biggytitbo

Thats a common critism that youtube content creaters are whiners and self entitled and they shouldnt have started a business relying on the notoriously mercurial google to not eventually fuck them over. Which sort of sounds ok but you would never level that same critiscm against the countless other offline small businesses and self employed people who are reliant on a bigger company in some way and can similarly be fucked over by the whim of some CEO who changes their mind about something, moves their business or decides to shut down a service or whatever.

Captain Z

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on October 09, 2017, 08:01:09 AM
This is a serious issue

No, it isn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>8------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cut thread along dotted line

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on October 09, 2017, 10:28:41 AM
I barely understand the issue.

Remember when us cool kids were discussing Candide in the cool kids' thread? You know when Pangloss sings about the best of all possible worlds? Well, imagine not that and you'll have grasped the issue.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah some virgin ranting in his basement about SJWs while playing The Witcher 3 isn't a "business". Sorry.

If these people stop doing what they do, literally nothing of value will be lost.

Hemulen

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on October 09, 2017, 10:50:31 AM
Yeah some virgin ranting in his basement about SJWs while playing The Witcher 3 isn't a "business". Sorry.

If these people stop doing what they do, literally nothing of value will be lost.

It's rather disingenuous to suggest these are the only people relying on YouTube to make a living, though. There are plenty of people who put a lot of thought and time into their work (and thus are doing things which actually have some merit) who are also being royally fucked over by this change.

king_tubby

Urinal Cake

The thing is biggy who is going to launch an antitrust suit on YouTube.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hemulen on October 09, 2017, 11:03:36 AM
It's rather disingenuous to suggest these are the only people relying on YouTube to make a living, though. There are plenty of people who put a lot of thought and time into their work (and thus are doing things which actually have some merit) who are also being royally fucked over by this change.

Yes, some of the channels are really producing top quality stuff, better gaming content than anything normal telly has ever done. Look at how much work people like Kim Justice are putting into their content, hour long documentaris on Ocean software and Pysgnosis, stuff you would never get anywhere else other than youtube. There's quite a lot of value that will be lost if stuff like that gets swept away by some wonky algorithm.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 09, 2017, 10:46:10 AM
Thats a common critism that youtube content creaters are whiners and self entitled and they shouldnt have started a business relying on the notoriously mercurial google to not eventually fuck them over. Which sort of sounds ok but you would never level that same critiscm against the countless other offline small businesses and self employed people who are reliant on a bigger company in some way and can similarly be fucked over by the whim of some CEO who changes their mind about something, moves their business or decides to shut down a service or whatever.

Can you give an example of this please? Preferably one with the minimal set-up and outlay of someone making videos on their computers at home

touchingcloth

Quote from: Hemulen on October 09, 2017, 11:03:36 AM

Yes, there are people giving tips for applying makeup and getting abs as well, and ASMR people letting other people get their rocks off.