Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube’s Adpocalypse and Jimmy Kimmel

Started by Hello! Replies Hidden, October 09, 2017, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Google can target users based on their interests (which comes from their search history/browsing history when using Chrome and signed in).  Likely you were seeing a Volkswagen ad because they have a big marketing budget and are trying to push their ad as far as they can on YouTube in order to spend it all.

For those interested, the main ways you can target on YouTube are based on demographic (age/gender), Google grouping users into different categories/interests based on the users' search history, and remarketing (which is where a company shows you an ad if you have interacted with their site in any way).

Running ads on the Google search page is similar only there's no option to target categories/interests of people, and the starting point is selecting which keywords you would like your ads to appear against.

Zetetic

touchingcloth

As a woman in her thirties who doesn't really get the point of incognito browsing, clearing cookies and not keeping your browser logged in to Google services for longer than is absolutely necessary, my partner's experience of YouTube is being spammed with adverts for pregnancy test kits every time she loads a new video. Little do those advertisers know that they're spunking their cash on a woman with a barren womb, fucked ovaries, zero maternal instinct and extreme tokophobia. Haha, Richard E Grant and Jon Hamm, you am a twots.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on October 12, 2017, 06:19:44 PM
Google can target users based on their interests (which comes from their search history/browsing history when using Chrome and signed in).  Likely you were seeing a Volkswagen ad because they have a big marketing budget and are trying to push their ad as far as they can on YouTube in order to spend it all.

So because I recently did some searches for a used car? I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've used google to search for anything to do with cars. Does anyone who has never googled anything to do with cars or Volkswagen get VW ads?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on October 12, 2017, 06:27:16 PM
Well, yes all that.

QuoteTopics: Target your video ads to specific topics on YouTube and the Display Network. Topic targeting lets you reach a broad range of videos, channels and websites related to the topics that you select. For example, when you target the "Automotive" topic, then your ad will show on YouTube to people watching videos about cars.

I've never watched a single YouTube that had anything to do with cars. Except maybe 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee' but that's it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 12, 2017, 07:21:20 PM
I've never watched a single YouTube that had anything to do with cars. Except maybe 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee' but that's it.

If you have a YouTube (or other google) account and you keep it logged in, then any searches you do for cars will get added to your profile of interests, and this can apply for non-google sites if they include tracking widgets, and the same goes for Facebook, twitter, reddit, or any other web service you might be signed into.

It could just be random, too. I browse in private mode, without any accounts logged in and with regular cache, cookie and other history clear outs, and I still get adverts for stuff, just less targeted and in less of a pattern than hey would otherwise be.

Dr Rock

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2017, 07:27:17 PM
If you have a YouTube (or other google) account and you keep it logged in, then any searches you do for cars will get added to your profile of interests, and this can apply for non-google sites if they include tracking widgets, and the same goes for Facebook, twitter, reddit, or any other web service you might be signed into.

It could just be random, too. I browse in private mode, without any accounts logged in and with regular cache, cookie and other history clear outs, and I still get adverts for stuff, just less targeted and in less of a pattern than hey would otherwise be.

But I search for comedy, comic-book stuff or geeky movies about a million times more. They should be able to realise that is what they should be chucking ads at me about. I've never had one ad relating to those things.

Zetetic

Perhaps such things don't tend to buy YouTube video spots.

touchingcloth

Yeah, it's the massive companies that will be vying for your attention, and they'll only really be doing so by dint of the demographic slot you fall into. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you're 49 - so middle aged and male, and probably bald, it's a fair assumption that you'll have the money and inclination to splurge on a car.

Uncle TechTip

"One of my earliest memories... watching my mother attempting to parallel park a ..." Skip Ad

That's about the only comedy advert I see, repeated over and over.

This is simply an issue of compliance. TV stations have to vet all their content before it's broadcast. If YouTube wants to be the world's TV station, they will just have to do the same, no matter what it costs in people or time. Perhaps a two speed YouTube, with instant upload and no ads, or ads on your content but be prepared to wait a week while someone reviews it. Maybe even make the bigger players pay for it themselves.

Dr Rock

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2017, 08:00:39 PM
Yeah, it's the massive companies that will be vying for your attention, and they'll only really be doing so by dint of the demographic slot you fall into. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you're 49 - so middle aged and male, and probably bald, it's a fair assumption that you'll have the money and inclination to splurge on a car.

If Ebay can do a much better job, YouTube should be able to get close. It's a fairly broad assumption that because I am 49 I am looking to buy a car. That would apply to anyone from 18-55. I can see Zetetic's point though, many of those who would want to advertise to me regarding my interests may not be able to produce a video like what VW can. Then they should be able to put ads somewhere else, like on my main YouTube page, they needn't be video ads.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 12, 2017, 08:10:04 PM
If Ebay can do a much better job, YouTube should be able to get close. It's a fairly broad assumption that because I am 49 I am looking to buy a car. That would apply to anyone from 18-55. I can see Zetetic's point though, many of those who would want to advertise to me regarding my interests may not be able to produce a video like what VW can. Then they should be able to put ads somewhere else, like on my main YouTube page, they needn't be video ads.

eBay make money on you spending a fiver on a comedy DVD or a Joe Pasquale t-shirt, though, so it's literally their business model to funnel more suggestions your way on their own site that you might actually end up buying. It wouldn't make much sense for Go Faster Stripe or whoever to market stuff to you via YouTube, because google's prices are set to take into account that all they get money for are the adverts, not the sales they generate.

Dr Rock

Ebay's model is also to charge advertisers quite a lot for their adverts, the wider the reach the more they get charged. Not only for sales generated - that s just one option, but also for clicks that don't lead to sales, exposure or any interaction (like a comment that says 'cool' - you get charged for that). The point is eBay's model seems much more effective than YouTube's, so maybe YouTube should change their model.

ieXush2i

Based on them showing you a Volkswagen ad?

Dr Rock

If you love YouTube so much why don't you marry it!

Gwen Taylor on ITV

The general perception in the industry is that YouTube is best for branding ads rather performance-led ads because users are not in 'buying mode' so you're more likely to see car and perfume ads there.

Bhazor

I've had to recently switch from my lovely Adblock enhanced Firefox to an unmodded Microsoft Edge for browsing the internet and the amount of advertising and its intrusive genuinely shocked me. Far worse than it was even a year ago. Fuck advertisers. If a few creators must die to purge the PR industry then so be it.

Oh and fuck creators who claim that advertisers choosing not to fund them is a freedom speech thing.

Barry Admin

Some kid said "vape nation" to me there as I let the shop vaping. That was an odd and amusing indication of the sort of reach YouTube has now (it's a very popular h3h3 video.)

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bhazor on October 12, 2017, 09:30:21 PM
I've had to recently switch from my lovely Adblock enhanced Firefox to an unmodded Microsoft Edge for browsing the internet and the amount of advertising and its intrusive genuinely shocked me. Far worse than it was even a year ago. Fuck advertisers. If a few creators must die to purge the PR industry then so be it.

Oh and fuck creators who claim that advertisers choosing not to fund them is a freedom speech thing.

It is funny to see these youtubers railing (often justifiably) against the mainstream media, corporations and the economic system and then complaining that they can't get ad revenue on their video. There is a wider issue about how the big internet companies in partnership with the government are trying to gatekeep the internet though, thats incredibly dangerous both to diversity of opinion and content and free speech.

Uncle TechTip

Who else would have the infrastructure to do what YouTube do. Don't you remember the Slashdot effect? If there were no big internet companies there would be no platforms of the type that can reach people widely.

Twed

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 12, 2017, 11:04:48 PM
Who else would have the infrastructure to do what YouTube do. Don't you remember the Slashdot effect? If there were no big internet companies there would be no platforms of the type that can reach people widely.
Not necessarily. Perhaps we would all be using some P2P technology out of necessity instead.