Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,370
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More terrible book covers

Started by Captain Crunch, October 09, 2017, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

Last thread here.

Allow me to start you off with this slice of horribleness:

Yikes as they tend to say these days. 

All Surrogate

Well, I guess it doesn't spoil the ending.

Phil_A

Quote from: Captain Crunch on October 09, 2017, 06:52:56 PM
Last thread here.

Ah yes, I fondly remember the version of that story that featured Rhys Thomas and Michael Cera as Winston and Julia.

Phil_A

I'm not sure the nineties "collage" editions of the Hitchhiker's series have aged all that well. It's funny how you never see these versions anywhere now, though. They must've been in every bookshop in the land at one point.

It was a novel idea I suppose, but kind of useless. It's not like you could display them on a shelf like that, really.

holyzombiejesus

I got this from the station library today and am very tempted to give it its own thread...

and a small excerpt from this gripping fast paced read....

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Phil_A on October 18, 2017, 10:31:37 PM

Those were the ones I had, except for Hitch Hiker's, which was the first edition cover.  Didn't quite work with the other three, that.

I also inherited my sister's first edition of So Long..., with the plesiosaur.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2017, 11:31:44 PM

Enough about Mandy and her stabling business in the West country, fuck's sake!  It's like Bill going on about the fucking Hanzo sword!

Phil_A

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2017, 11:31:44 PM
I got this from the station library today and am very tempted to give it its own thread...

Jesus, is that an actual book or a self-published effort? It has "vanity printing" written all over it, particularly the unattributed quote on the cover (which makes it look like the author is reviewing his own work) and the fact there doesn't seem to be a publisher's name anywhere on it.

holyzombiejesus

I kind find any mention of a publisher anywhere, so I think it probably is self-published. I'm reading it now. It might possibly be the worst book I've ever read.

Avril Lavigne

Last thread here.

I was awarded this version in assembly at school, for perfect attendance. What a sucker I was.

Gurke and Hare

Glebe

That was the tie-in edition for the little-seen film version starring Bill Pullman, Annette Benning and Ben Kingsley.

popcorn

Quote from: Glebe on October 28, 2017, 06:13:18 PM
That was the tie-in edition for the little-seen film version starring Bill Pullman, Annette Benning and Ben Kingsley.

Common mistake. It was actually George Michael's only film role.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Glebe on October 28, 2017, 06:13:18 PM

Nah, Rhys Ifans, Joni (from Happy Days) and Stuart Hall with a 'tache.

Serge

Quote from: Phil_A on October 18, 2017, 10:31:37 PMI'm not sure the nineties "collage" editions of the Hitchhiker's series have aged all that well. It's funny how you never see these versions anywhere now, though. They must've been in every bookshop in the land at one point.

I quite like them, but mainly because they managed to sneak a pictire of Adams on there. I've currently got a box set with reprints of all of the original covers on, most of which which I used to own anyway, but suspect they were among the things I sold when I moved to London.

The paperback version of 'Mail Men', which I read recently, has a pretty terrible cover. I can kind of see what they're going for, but it's just so badly done and looks cluttered as hell:

Glebe

Bhazor

Paul Calf

Vladimir Putin shows off his wanking callous.

jenna appleseed

Mad as fuck sounding self published true story from a victim of a Lord Of The Rings fan group con artist who "ended up creating a phony charity and fleecing half the cast of the "Lord of the Rings" film trilogy." https://www.amazon.com/When-Fan-Hits-Shit-Charity/dp/0965313646/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

There's a whole bit of back story here https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroubledProduction/Other
under conventions - look for Tentmoot / Bit of Earth

Quote from: jenna appleseed on October 12, 2018, 01:59:03 AM

Mad as fuck sounding self published true story from a victim of a Lord Of The Rings fan group con artist who "ended up creating a phony charity and fleecing half the cast of the "Lord of the Rings" film trilogy." https://www.amazon.com/When-Fan-Hits-Shit-Charity/dp/0965313646/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

There's a whole bit of back story here https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroubledProduction/Other
under conventions - look for Tentmoot / Bit of Earth

Good title though

Glebe

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 14, 2018, 06:49:42 PMGood title though

Peter Cook used that one when he heard about Sid Vicious getting whacked by a fan, apparently.

How is this possible from a major publisher like Modern Library, for one of the classics of early-nineteenth-century Russian literature?

Phil_A

The collected edition of the Jerry Cornelius novels I have on my shelf has possibly the most boring cover of all time, conveying absolutely nothing about the contents or the vivid, surreal mindscape of the great Michael Moorcock. It's just...nothing.

Just compare that to the wonderfully unhinged paperback covers:

Alberon

That new cover is just about as far as you can get from the mad world(s) of Jerry Cornelius.

And they used the wrong spelling of 'programme'.

Fuckwits.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Phil_A on November 04, 2018, 10:36:49 PM

That style was pretty common in the early 00s, wasn't it? Reminds me of this:

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Probably repeating someone word for word from the previous thread which I haven't read, but this one looks like it's setting out to test "don't judge a book by its cover" to the absolute limits. Who on earth could have possibly thought that was a good idea for both the standard and extended versions?

Alberon

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 04, 2018, 11:07:13 PM
That style was pretty common in the early 00s, wasn't it? Reminds me of this:

Bunty Hoven has let herself go.

I hope Stuart Murdoch and Jesse Eisenberg manage to foil Ming the Merciless.

marquis_de_sad