Author Topic: More terrible book covers  (Read 36671 times)

Re: More terrible book covers
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
Apart from the 'Men At Arms' type, that's a brilliant cover. Certainly a hundred times better than the crusty rubbish that's normally on his shit books.

Yeah, I thought twice about posting it to this particular thread. It's not in the same league as the other things here (that Three Men in a Boat one still cracks me up). I just see it as a spectacular downgrade of the Josh Kirby original; a bit nothingy, juvenile, clearly done on a computer, evocative of Scandinavian design when the voice of the book isn't like that. I think I just see the decision to redo the original (which was a work of genuine culture, rich with detail, in league with the author, and apt to the book's content) as a bit philistine and cynical.

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2020, 10:14:09 PM »
Good old Sheba Blake:

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON

samadriel

• Help the muthafuckin' aged
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Good old Sheba Blake:

Ha! Such daring. I love it.

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »
The covers from author/football manager/rennaisance man Steve Bruce's soccer crime fiction books are fantastic.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
This one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie (and indeed it was on the Little and Large thread here that I first saw it) that it becomes very distracting.

I mean, it really does look like both of them. The 50th anniversary of the Hobbit was in 1987, so I like to believe the artist based it on them.

But if you want a genuinely bad Hobbit cover then there's this foreign language edition to enjoy.

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Found this while browsing the absolute depths of budget book publishers online (going below the 5 quid price range really is Here Be Dragons territory, the well of cheap crap is utterly bottomless).

Also doesn't Anderson Prunty like the name of a Day Today correspondent?

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »
The publishers could have chosen from so many beautiful images to adorn the cover of this Faroese phrasebook, but it seems they went with 'depressed boy up a ladder':

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
^Pissing myself at that second Hobbit one - like something out of Viz

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2021, 01:16:58 PM »
This one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie (and indeed it was on the Little and Large thread here that I first saw it) that it becomes very distracting.

I mean, it really does look like both of them. The 50th anniversary of the Hobbit was in 1987, so I like to believe the artist based it on them.

But if you want a genuinely bad Hobbit cover then there's this foreign language edition to enjoy.

I like how the.aardvak monster has some kind of rudimentary jumper.

« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »

The days when artists couldn't get references easily via the internet, so had to just use whatever they had lying around (probably the TV Times or something in this case).

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »
I've found out who the cover artist is. It's a guy called Michael Herring and he is English.

So, it is possible.

Panbaams

• Advertise here, earn £££
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
Also doesn't Anderson Prunty like the name of a Day Today correspondent?

He definitely merits further investigation.

Satanic Summer
by Andersen Prunty
Doug Backus is a normal young man trying to lead a clean Christian life but when mysterious and gruesome deaths begin occurring in his town of Clover, Kentucky, he learns that his life can never be as wholesome as he wants. Along with his heathen friend Crank and pariah neighbor Whitney, he becomes involved in an exploration of the town’s secrets that will either lead them to their doom or answer all the questions Doug has about almost everything. Only one thing becomes certain: Salvation is not an option. From Andersen Prunty, author of Fuckness and Hi I’m a Social Disease comes a sleazy horror comedy about friendship, religion, and satanic orgies.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »

Surely having a 100-foot player is impractical?

(How do you do a football crime series and not have a book called Murder Most Foul?)

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »
Blood Red Card

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics

« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
Some great quotes from the lads on the back of that LOL Bellend book. Absolute legends, cheers guys.

Glebe

• It was just a bad fortnight.
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
This one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie

Or Gervais (with Mackenzie Crook as Gollum).

^Pissing myself at that second Hobbit one - like something out of Viz

Heh, yeah, I thought that too, he looks a bit like Sid the Sexist!

The publishers could have chosen from so many beautiful images to adorn the cover of this Faroese phrasebook, but it seems they went with 'depressed boy up a ladder with Tom Randall bringing him some fish and chips':

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2021, 09:56:04 PM »
Yeah great stuff.

I hope Girlington is a substitute for Gillingham

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2021, 09:57:11 PM »
Really enjoyed this

I can heartily recommend the review of the third - sadly, final - book of the trilogy.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2021, 11:11:53 PM »
Fantastic, thank you. Can't believe this is real.

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2021, 11:39:32 PM »
I feel a fool now, clearly Gillingham is Gillingford. And I thought it was Girlington!

Love the bit on the plane.

Tags: